VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

121 - 140 of 145 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,104 Posts
Okay, so you guys raised two issues that are already gnawing at me:

Piano black/glass trim: Looks great in the showroom, but its a fingerprint-fest within a day. Audi supplies a microfiber cloth for cleaning, I am growing patience for living with it.

Lack of storage: Okay, so this seems like a minor issue, but the Highlander did this better than any other car out there. There are cubbies everywhere on the Highlander, but in the Q7, front seat storage is VERY limited. You get 2 map pockets, the glove box, a smaller glove box to the left of the driver's left knee, the under-armrest "phone box"....and that's it. I would have thought the center console had more storage, but no.

Again, we can work with what's there, but it's kind of surprising.
Yeah, the key to the piano black is to keep a microfiber in the car and dust/polish it constantly. I had it in the R, and it's in the A5 too. You just get used to dealing with it. The alternative (for me) would be to swap it all out with CF ($$$$), or perhaps the grey oak trim,

The storage thing is what may kill it for my wife. She keeps a lot of **** in her Durango that there's literally no place to keep any of it in the Q7. The spare tire well would be the perfect spot with no spare, but it's filled with electronic bits.

·
Registered
6,841 Posts
Discussion Starter #122
Yeah, the key to the piano black is to keep a microfiber in the car and dust/polish it constantly. I had it in the R, and it's in the A5 too. You just get used to dealing with it. The alternative (for me) would be to swap it all out with CF ($$$$), or perhaps the grey oak trim,

The storage thing is what may kill it for my wife. She keeps a lot of **** in her Durango that there's literally no place to keep any of it in the Q7. The spare tire well would be the perfect spot with no spare, but it's filled with electronic bits.
I am not even talking about that. Things like sunglasses. There's no sunglass holder on the car. The center console is big enough for my phone and a package of masks, annnd...that's about it.

Again, minor complaints. We are just being a little more strategic with where things are kept.

·
Registered
2016 A6, 2014 X3, 1967 Bus, 1963 356
22,642 Posts
Does the Q7 have a drivers side storage compartment on the dash under the headlight switch? If yes that's where I'd store my sunglasses.

·
Registered
2,002 Posts
I am not even talking about that. Things like sunglasses. There's no sunglass holder on the car. The center console is big enough for my phone and a package of masks, annnd...that's about it.

Again, minor complaints. We are just being a little more strategic with where things are kept.
Sunglasses in the cubby to the left of the steering wheel?

·
Registered
6,841 Posts
Discussion Starter #125
Does the Q7 have a drivers side storage compartment on the dash under the headlight switch? If yes that's where I'd store my sunglasses.
Yes, and it's deep - it's like a second glove box. So that helps somewhat and where I store my sunglasses.

·
Registered
2016 A6, 2014 X3, 1967 Bus, 1963 356
22,642 Posts
Honestly I think that cubby is becoming the modern day sunglass holder given everything else manufacturers have to cram into their cars to remain competitive these days. Can't do it in the roof when you've got a panorama sunroof to fit in there, can't do it in the center console because of screens/touchpads/etc. taking up space, might as well make a cubby in that typically unused space below the headlight switch. My guess is the only cars currently with sunglass holders are ones without a pano sunroof, without a ton of screens, or are EV since they don't have a huge transmission tunnel to deal wtih.

·
Registered
6,841 Posts
Discussion Starter #128
How the heck do I delete a post?

·
Registered
2,378 Posts
I don't think you can delete posts anymore so just clear the contents and write "Delete". I can't toggle the sound on the Imgur video.

·
Premium Member
7,826 Posts
Honestly I think that cubby is becoming the modern day sunglass holder given everything else manufacturers have to cram into their cars to remain competitive these days. Can't do it in the roof when you've got a panorama sunroof to fit in there, can't do it in the center console because of screens/touchpads/etc. taking up space, might as well make a cubby in that typically unused space below the headlight switch. My guess is the only cars currently with sunglass holders are ones without a pano sunroof, without a ton of screens, or are EV since they don't have a huge transmission tunnel to deal wtih.

You didn’t really think no one would post an exception, right? :D

I give you a sunglasses holder paired with the panoramic roof in my Explorer.

·
How do I resize a picture?
18,437 Posts

·
Registered
6,841 Posts
Discussion Starter #132
That's a GIF, no audio.

Why don't you just upload the video to YouTube and then share the link here?
This has been your token "well, DUH" moment of the day courtesy of Max_Download......

Here you go, audio and all.

Reactions: ND40oz

·
Registered
6,841 Posts
Discussion Starter #133
This one is a little short because the MyAudi app cut off the video once I started the car. BUT, this is a startup video with the car backed into the garage, and you get a pretty good idea of what it sounds like. Please forgive the "I'm freezing" sigh as I get into the car.....amateur video and all...

Let's just say nobody is sneaking out of the house late at night with this thing.

Reactions: ND40oz

·
How do I resize a picture?
18,437 Posts
Agreed.

With the T/A in winter storage, I no longer get to hear any sweet V8 music on the regular. That helped with my withdrawal.
Hold up, did you sell the SS?

·
Turtles walk slowly, but get angry fast!
2021 RS6 Avant, 2019 Audi eTron, 2010 A6 Avant, 2002 Chevy 2500, 1988 16v Scircco
10,034 Posts
121 - 140 of 145 Posts