VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
6,197 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's that time of year, summer wheels and alignment. The car pulled a little to the right and when I made a right turn a weird rubbing noise/feeling. also, I put on the wheels but had a vibration at highway speeds. I did hit a pothole on another set of wheels but this set was balanced.
anyway, I figured check balance on the front wheels, reblanace the rear wheels and rotate. well the front two wheels which were somewhat recently balanced needed a bunch of weight, then the rear wheels (which I figured needed some love) Funny thing is the rear wheels which I know weren't balanced correctly needed less than the front two. One wheel had something like 5 grams added in one spot.
on to the alignment, camber is -1.4 on the left but -.83 on the right. loosened the three bolts at the ball joint but no movement???
so I leave, the steering wheels is down on the left, car still pulls to the right, still makes the vibration on right turns, and wheels vibrate at much higher speeds???
I'm not sure what to do. the wheel vibration is ok since I don't drive much faster than 80. but the alignment will drive me nuts. BUT the biggest thing, my request is does anyone have pictures or more details on how to adjust camber. or why my car might not have the A-arms everyone else has.

·
Registered
2,230 Posts
Sometimes you can somewhat balance the front camber side to side by loosening the front subframe and moving it to the side with the least negative camber.
Jimbo

·
Registered
6,197 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ok well I must be all the way adjusted on the a arm. and I thought about the subframe bit but the tech didn't seem too interested. I'm a little more upset about the wheel being down on the left, and the car pulling to the right.
I'll post pictures later of the one wheel. but I've never seen them take so long to balance wheels. they just kept adding wheel weights.

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
Re: (blinkinbanana)

MOST alignment shops don't know about the slotted A arms on the .:R.
Regular Golfs do not have them- so they assume ours don't either.
Don't be hesitant to take the car back for a re adjustment - that off steering wheel in unacceptable.
I'd bet your front wheels are bent - needing that much weight to balance out.

Modified by MyGLXtacy at 9:33 AM 5-31-2009

·
Registered
12,562 Posts
Quote, originally posted by MyGLXtacy »
MOST alignment shops don't know about the slotted A arms on the .:R.
Regular Golfs do not have them- so they assume ours don't either...

X2. Last Friday I was at the best alignment shop in my area. They've been
in business for almost fifty years, and all they do is suspension work on
cars and light trucks. Nothing else.
They have the latest machinery, and ages of experience, but had never
heard of an R32. I had to tell them that their Hunter alignment computer
did have the R32 in it, and they found it. And I had to tell them about the
front LCAs, and about the slight adjustments at the rear.
I ended up with the best all-wheel alignment I'd ever had in any car I've
owned. And they took it out and brought it back in three times to get the
steering wheel perfectly straight(although the third time I think he just
wanted to drive the R some more
).
Brandon, maybe you've just got to find a better shop? Sounds like these
guys are too lazy to do it right.
--Chuck--

·
Registered
12,562 Posts

Quote, originally posted by blinkinbanana »
...I've never seen them take so long to balance wheels. they just kept adding wheel weights.

Do they have a road-force balancer?
As was just mentioned, is the wheel bent?
Did they try breaking down the tire and rotating it on the rim?
Sounds like they may not have good equipment, or might be incompetent,
or are just lazy and don't give a f**k.
--Chuck--

·
Registered
6,197 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Re: (speedbump2)

Chuck, I was right next to the guy as he aligned the car and as he balanced the wheel. I do think/feel he should have popped the tires and spun them. But, when I first bought the wheels I had a hard time balancing them. They were only weighted on the inside but they used so much weight that the weights threw the wheel back out of balance that they needed to add a weight to the other side (I should have called tirerack about this). So I moved and found a shop recommended by local dubbers who needed 4 wheel alignments. Since I recently to that time had my wheels balanced I JUST had the front two wheels rebalanced. NOT road force balanced as it's hard to find where I am. That tech seemed to do a good job and spent the time to pop the tire and spin it a little. Since then I've driven the car and have hit some hard bumps so there is a possibility that the wheels or one wheel is bent.
This time I had the previous front wheels checked which were out of balance after sitting all winter, as well as the rear wheels which were static balanced. ALL wheels were dynamic balanced but still, he tested the wheels first. then de weighted re-tested and then added weights. then checked the wheel and still had to add .25 or .50 to the wheel. and one wheel third time. I figured the wheels might be bent and I'd see how this goes. on to the alignment rack.
Rear wheels were spot on from the last alignment. front was close I think the toe was a little off and the camber on the driver's side was -1.43. I asked/forced the tech to loosed the control arms in order to adjust. He did, no movement. He then took the bolt off one of the bolts and there was no slot. I was standing right next to him. at that point I didn't really want to get into moving the subframe as I had a 9am appointment and it was now close to 11. he adjusted the toe + on either side saying it would make up for the camber which did seem to even out the camber on either side. I think driver's side is now +11 and the pass side +9. At this point I just wanted to get home. I should have said more at the shop but I was tired and exhausted. I do intend to call the shop Monday and tell them about the steering wheel and front wheels still having a vibration. I hope I get the first guy I had OR they just refund me. If so I'll find a road force balance machine somewhere. IN NYC if I have to.
Thanks.

·
Registered
12,562 Posts

...there was no slot...

Wow, That's not good.
Are you the original owner?
--Chuck--

·
Registered
6,197 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Re: (speedbump2)

Quote, originally posted by speedbump2 »

Wow, That's not good.
Are you the original owner?
--Chuck--

Third owner, I believe.
Sorry about the size of the photo i put it up quick.

·
Registered
6,197 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
notice how the weights don't line up. He machine called for the first 3 grams or so, then another 1.75 least that's what it looks like at quick glance.

·
Registered
12,562 Posts

Third owner, I believe...

I wonder if those LCAs were replaced at some point, and whoever
replaced them just ordered MK IV golf LCAs instead of R32 LCAs?
--Chuck--

·
Registered
6,197 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
A possibility. That's what I figured. Can't tell if first owner tinkered or not. Second owner just drove the car while drinking lattes

·
Registered
3,791 Posts

Is the arm cast or stamped? If its cast its a R32 arm. If its stamped steel its a FWD arm and therfore the incorrect arm.

·
Registered
6,197 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
It's cast. Looks very similar to the arm pictured above. Minus the slots. Just bolt holes.

·
Registered
4,945 Posts
Re: one crazy day on the alignment rack. (blinkinbanana)

Wheel Collision Center, 7286 Penn Drive · Bath, PA 18014
Phone: (610) 837-8792 offers road force balancing not far from you if your still in Long Pond. Plus they will be-able to assess and wheel damage better than any shop out there.
http://www.wheelcollision.com/index.html
As for your control arms I can 100% guarantee they are slotted if they are cast. You may have dirt and debris impacting the wholes and that's what confused the tech.. If you are still in Pa go to Dawe's Motorsports, 1 Foundry St., Building 107, Stroudsburg, PA 18360-1431, (570) 422-6848 to have it aligned.
http://www.dawesmotorsports.co...rId=0

1 - 17 of 17 Posts