VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I finaly had the time to deal with this and enable one-side parking lights.

First my specs: my car is a 2012 Jetta GLI NAR, which originally came with halogen headlights without DRL and I upgraded with OEM LED Taillights and Winpower Replica Headlights. I had Byte 18 (9-CECM) coded to 53 to make everything work. I have my intrument cluster (17-INTRUMENTS) set to ROW.

I recently sold my EURO switch to a friend, and didn't want to run rear fog light (I have no place in the NAR LED tails to put them) so what I did was quite simple:

1) Emulate rear fog light without running cable: I ran a cable from pin 47 BROWN conector to a 6Ohm 50W resistor and then to ground. This would make the CECM think it has a bulb there.

2) Change the light scheme to the ROW equivalent of the previous setting : I had Byte 18 set to 53 (NAR), the equivalent setting is 52 (ROW).

After this 2 mods, I get parking light when moving the stalk to each side with the car off, and no bulb-out errors.

I based my mods on this post so thank you everybody there for their help:
http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?5976744-Jetta-MK6-How-enable-rear-fog

·
Registered
729 Posts
I finaly had the time to deal with this and enable one-side parking lights.

First my specs: my car is a 2012 Jetta GLI NAR, which originally came with halogen headlights without DRL and I upgraded with OEM LED Taillights and Winpower Replica Headlights. I had Byte 18 (9-CECM) coded to 53 to make everything work. I have my intrument cluster (17-INTRUMENTS) set to ROW.

I recently sold my EURO switch to a friend, and didn't want to run rear fog light (I have no place in the NAR LED tails to put them) so what I did was quite simple:

1) Emulate rear fog light without running cable: I ran a cable from pin 47 BROWN conector to a 6Ohm 50W resistor and then to ground. This would make the CECM think it has a bulb there.

2) Change the light scheme to the ROW equivalent of the previous setting : I had Byte 18 set to 53 (NAR), the equivalent setting is 52 (ROW).

After this 2 mods, I get parking light when moving the stalk to each side with the car off, and no bulb-out errors.

I based my mods on this post so thank you everybody there for their help:
http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?5976744-Jetta-MK6-How-enable-rear-fog
I really want this mod on my car. Will it work on a 13 GLI with nav.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm sure it will work, you'll have to find the correct RoW coding for your actual coding, which is hidden if you haven't changed it, but should be one of the ones listed in VCDS.

The worst part is to install the cable+resistor in the BROWN CECM connector, the rest is just coding.

You can try the Byte 18 switch before starting the project. The only thing that is going to happen is a BULB OUT error for rear fog, but you can test the one side parking with the stalk at this point, and then you change the coding back to the NAR setting, clear the error and nothing happened.

·
Registered
6,779 Posts
This feature is used in parts of the world where people park on the side of road on tiny streets. You turn on the lights so that passing cars can see your car parked. Less risk of someone plowing into you. (Right side of road, light side lights on) might sound dumb but

·
Registered
729 Posts
Most BMW and mercedes cars do this from the factory even in the US. Its cool cause if you pull of the side of the highway you can turn on the standing lights instead of the hazard lights.

·
Banned
1,020 Posts
Most BMW and mercedes cars do this from the factory even in the US. Its cool cause if you pull of the side of the highway you can turn on the standing lights instead of the hazard lights.
Why is that cool? What's the difference in putting on the hazards vs. turning on one side lights?

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Because it's the function designed by the manufacturer to do what someone explained in a previous post, leave the car for a long period of time in a narrow, dark street with the less possible energy comsumption.

The hazard lights are ok if you leave the car for a while, but not for a couple of hours.

You could turn on the parking lights, but you get both sides plus the dash, so you're using 2.5x times the energy you'd use with this function.

If you don't like it, don't use it... but it's there. ;)

·
Registered
729 Posts
Because it's the function designed by the manufacturer to do what someone explained in a previous post, leave the car for a long period of time in a narrow, dark street with the less possible energy comsumption.

The hazard lights are ok if you leave the car for a while, but not for a couple of hours.

You could turn on the parking lights, but you get both sides plus the dash, so you're using 2.5x times the energy you'd use with this function.

This

·
Banned
1,020 Posts

haha I didn't say I didn't like it. I was just asking what the difference was. Genuine question haha

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
haha I didn't say I didn't like it. I was just asking what the difference was. Genuine question haha
:beer: You're right, hope my answer was ok. I really missed this function from the beginning as cars usually come to my country in EURO trim (mk4, mk5) but this time the GLI came in NAR trim. I had to add dimming mirror, light sensor and all the other missing stuff.

·
Registered
678 Posts
Stupid question but you have any pics or more details on this???

"1) Emulate rear fog light without running cable: I ran a cable from pin 47 BROWN conector to a 6Ohm 50W resistor and then to ground. This would make the CECM think it has a bulb there."

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.