VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well, since I'm a huge fan of DIY mods I decided to go ahead and try the one-touch sunroof thing...as described on the following sites:
http://bestvwclub.com/howto/1touch/1touch.html
http://www.icbm.org/erkson/personal/mycars/one_touch_sunroof_open/
(they're the same)
Anyway, as fas as I can tell I did everything correctly...so, after doing it i tried opening the roof...perfect! it opened with one-touch....but when I went to close it! ahh, i can only close it if i put the timer relay all the way back to zero, when I do that, it clicks and I can close the roof...what the hay?
PLEASE HELP (and sorry for the long post).

·
Banned
2,641 Posts
Re: One Touch Sunroof--HELP! (nikonratm)

you prolly cut into the wrong wires..
there is a wiring diagram out there some place.. did you follow the wiring exactly on those web sites (the best vw one is mine)

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Re: One Touch Sunroof--HELP! (jonbaker)

actually jon i already sent you an email with the question...and I checked my wiring and it is 100% correct...?
this doesnt sound good...

·
Registered
6,429 Posts

Then it's possible that you have a bad DEI timer.

·
Registered
15,575 Posts
Re: One Touch Sunroof--HELP! (Air_Cooled_Nut)

I think you might just have the pulse timer set way too long....as soon as the roof is fully open, you should here the pulse timer relay click off. If it does not, then you have the pulse set way too long. It sounds like the timer is not disengaging, and that is why it wont let you close it...
Sean

·
Registered
1,519 Posts

Do you get that relay at the dealership? Sorry I know this doesnt help you, but I want to try it too! Thanks http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
6,429 Posts
Re: One Touch Sunroof--HELP! (vdubadm)

Click on my web site he posted above and it'll show you what's involved and where the relay comes from.

·
Registered
1,440 Posts

Does this work for closing the sunroof using the key when locking the system too? That way once you start closing the sunroof you can walk away instead of holding the key waiting for it to close?

·
Registered
6,429 Posts
Re: One Touch Sunroof--HELP! (vwsr2cool)

quote:[HR][/HR]Does this work for closing the sunroof using the key when locking the system too? That way once you start closing the sunroof you can walk away instead of holding the key waiting for it to close?[HR][/HR]​
Only if you have the relay rigged to one-touch close. You can still perform the normal "turn key and close sunroof" with the timer installed since it ONLY AFFECTS OPENING THE SUNROOF.

[Modified by Air_Cooled_Nut, 8:46 AM 8-2-2002]

·
Registered
1,440 Posts

quote:[HR][/HR]Only if you have the relay rigged to one-touch close. You can still perform the normal "turn key and close sunroof" with the timer installed since it ONLY AFFECTS OPENING THE SUNROOF.[HR][/HR]​
Does this mean that it'll only work open or close, but not both. Would I need to install two (one for each) if I want to be able to open and close with one touch?

·
Registered
6,429 Posts
Re: One Touch Sunroof--HELP! (vwsr2cool)

quote:[HR][/HR]Only if you have the relay rigged to one-touch close. You can still perform the normal "turn key and close sunroof" with the timer installed since it ONLY AFFECTS OPENING THE SUNROOF.
Does this mean that it'll only work open or close, but not both. Would I need to install two (one for each) if I want to be able to open and close with one touch?[HR][/HR]​
Correct and correct.
The reason many of us just use one for opening only is that you can use the manual close to adjust the opening if you don't want it all the way open. Normally, you want it all the way open and this is just a lazy way to do it quickly. My girlfriend likes the mod more than me
http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif Putting in a Passat dial opener would be neat...

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

Hey y'all. Well, I actually figured it out, someone back there was right, the timer was set WAY too long, that was all...But an interesting thing about the relay, people talked about one from Pep-Boys, part no. R682, now, i know this works fine but instead I used one from radioshack, a generic automotive relay, part no. 275-226. Now, here are the advantages to the Radioshack one: it doesnt have an extra pin that we never use (87a) and here's the best part, my local pep boys had the relay for $18...Radioshack=$6! so....just my opinion, but that's the way to go. Oh, and all you guys who made the how-tos (thanks, first of all) you might want to add that the DEI should be somewhere around the 9 o'clock position...just trying to help. And thanks tex...(jeez, im bad with the long posts, sorry
)

·
Registered
15,575 Posts

quote:[HR][/HR]Hey y'all. Well, I actually figured it out, someone back there was right, the timer was set WAY too long, [HR][/HR]​
Your welcome...It took me a long time to get the set up to work when I did it, so I seem to have encountered all the problems along the way...

Sean

·
Banned
2,641 Posts

quote:[HR][/HR]Hey y'all. Well, I actually figured it out, someone back there was right, the timer was set WAY too long, that was all...But an interesting thing about the relay, people talked about one from Pep-Boys, part no. R682, now, i know this works fine but instead I used one from radioshack, a generic automotive relay, part no. 275-226. Now, here are the advantages to the Radioshack one: it doesnt have an extra pin that we never use (87a) and here's the best part, my local pep boys had the relay for $18...Radioshack=$6! so....just my opinion, but that's the way to go. Oh, and all you guys who made the how-tos (thanks, first of all) you might want to add that the DEI should be somewhere around the 9 o'clock position...just trying to help. And thanks tex...(jeez, im bad with the long posts, sorry
)[HR][/HR]​
good find on the radio shack relay..
and the time was set too long.. d'oh.. i did not even think of that...

·
Registered
6,429 Posts

quote:[HR][/HR]...Oh, and all you guys who made the how-tos (thanks, first of all) you might want to add that the DEI should be somewhere around the 9 o'clock position...just trying to help. [HR][/HR]​
Uhm, I did! Bottom of the page, bullet #2...somebody needs a little reading refresher course

http://www.icbm.org/erkson/personal/mycars/one_touch_sunroof_open/index.htm

1 - 16 of 16 Posts