VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4,402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Will it hurt the car to run without the Coolant temp sensor?(the blue one) because that seemed to fix my rough idle problem, and i want to keep it off till i get a new one, it shouldnt hurt anything right? unless your car has cooling problems or something....?

·
Registered
5,235 Posts
Re: One very quick and simple yes or no question (Veedubspeed04)

without the CTS hooked up, the ECU runs in open loop mode, generally slightly rich. This will kill the O2 sensor, the catalytic converter, it'll carbon foul the cylinders and shorten spark plug life. It will also lower your gas mileage to about 15-18mpg.
Personally, I'd spend the 6-10 bucks at the dealership.

·
Registered
4,402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Re: One very quick and simple yes or no question (negativl)

Well i was only gonna run without it for 1-2 days AT THE MOST untill i can make it down to the dealership

·
Registered
Mk4 VR6, Mk2 16v, E30, P71 CVPI
4,299 Posts
Re: One very quick and simple yes or no question (ABD Jetta II)

quote:[HR][/HR]Will it hurt the car to run without the Coolant temp sensor?[HR][/HR]​
No.

·
Registered
4,402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Re: One very quick and simple yes or no question (fopeano)

Well i got answers both yes and no....hmmmm anyone know a place online that sells em? i found 1 website but they want 30$+ for one, not including shipping

·
Registered
5,235 Posts
Re: One very quick and simple yes or no question (ABD Jetta II)

okay, for a few days, no problem, just don't push it and you'll be okay. Don't go redlining the engine, but don't under-rev it either, since they tend to be most over rich at idle. I wouldn't take long trips. I can't remember which cars it's for, but Pottermans has a CTS for 10 bucks: http://www.parts4vws.com/catalog/product_detail.asp?PartNumber=025906041A

·
Registered
4,402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Re: One very quick and simple yes or no question (negativl)

Yeah i entered my car in and found the sensor, it says "Coolant Temp sensor for OXS"... thats the blue temp sensor i need for a 1991 1.8 8v right? and what does OXS stand for?

[Modified by ABD Jetta II, 3:14 AM 2-6-2003]

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.