VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys
see if you can solve this one. Here goes (could get long) now I've had some problems starting the car latly. It's been gradually getting worse. When i start it i REALLY have to pump the gas to get her going. Like i mean REALLY pump. then when she catchs (on a good day) she'll sputter around a bit and idle from 1000 to 1500. I pretty sure it's not my fuel pump, cause i can ALWAYS smell gas as i'm starting it. now this idle will last for a little while, i can drive on it and it seems to work it's self out. if i leave the car for a couple hours, she'll start up fine with no idle problems (weird i know) Now when i start her, i'm giving it a quick shot of gas right away when i start her, this seems to catch and she'll rev high (2500-3000) she'll come back down right away and stall on me. if i don't actually keep her 1500 with the accelerator she'll want to die. this usually lasts for a few minutes. then she'll come back and idle ruff. To fix the problem i've done the following things. Replaced the Charge coil and plugs. my mech did a look thru and can't see much wrong with it. The fact that she'll start a few hours after being driven fine makes me think it's gotta be some kind of injection problem. Could there be a leak somewhere thats drining the "juice" it needs to start. Please anyone help, if i can't fix it, I'll have to think about selling my baby for somthin more reliable, parents are saying they'll buy me a Honda, PLEASE help me from become a dork.

·
Registered
409 Posts
Re: Only a true Corrado expert can solve this problem! (G'D60)

how cold is it down there? my car has trouble starting when it's about -5, but I have my ISV disconnected and yeah i have to give mine some gas too but it isn't that bad...check your ISV...clean it out good if it fixes your problem temporarily then your ISV is probably going...but i have a feeling it's not the ISV at all...oh and if you want to sell your car your Corrado with under 100K on it I could DEFINETELY be interested

·
Registered
90 Corrado, 97 B4 TDI, '10 CC 4 MO
4,371 Posts
Re: Only a true Corrado expert can solve this problem! (flawlessG60)

You shouldn't have to pump the gas at all on FI cars.
It could be a number of things, blue temp switch may have something to do with it, and it is probably the least expensive item to try next.
Also go over and check all the vaccume hoses.
Not much help, but I am sure someone else may have a better Idea.

·
Registered
2,165 Posts

I know I have your answer. (fingers crossed). I had very close to the same symptoms you describe, and close to 7 hours of diadnostics later (at the dealerhsip) it was the BLUE coolant sensor (an $8.00 part!) that was the culprit. Seems that the sensor was telling the ECU that it was still freezing outside, this is in the middle of a Texas summer with 100 plus weather, and it was causing me to in essence flood the car before it could even get started, but for some reason if I just turned over the car without starting it (I have a push start button that allows this to happen) to let some of the excess gas out of the head, I could eventually get it started. (this was the reason I could always smell gas and knew it was not the fuel pump.
Needless to say as soon as the BLUE coolant sensor was replaced it started right up.....I had to readjust the A/F mixture do to the fact that the sensor had been bad for quit some time.
All is better now and I have had no issues with starting the car ever since........(I know Murphy heard that and I need to step outside and knock on wood now)
http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

[Modified by TexasCorradoG60, 8:02 AM 4-10-2002]

·
Registered
2,679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Re: Only a true Corrado expert can solve this problem! (TexasCorradoG60)

hey guys
Flawless, if i need to sell her you've got first dibbs. Cool? anywho, i do live in the Good old frigid Nasty North AKA Canada. so it's cold here 24/7, and i have my charger bypassed right now cause she blew. so maybe theres somthin in that. and sometimes i see a puff of black smoke when i start her, mind you it could be warm exhaust fumes on the cold winter air, but im ALMOST positive its a darker smoke then that. anyways maybe that'll give you pros another clue. thanx everyone so much for help thus far, i will have the Blu coolent switch or sensor replaced right away. thanx again guys

·
Registered
11,641 Posts

Here's something else to check. My car had this problem: When it hadn't been driven in a while (say, overnight or a few days) it would cough and sputter and be problematic on startup, similar to what you described.
The problem was that somewhere in the fuel system, there was in internal leak (ie a leak from one part of the system to another, not a leak as in gas was coming out of my car somewhere.) This leak was causing the system to loose pressure over time, so when I started up again, there was no pressure in the system, and the engine wasn't getting enough gas.
-Nate

·
Registered
2,679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Re: Only a true Corrado expert can solve this problem! (SaabFan)

Hey SaabFan, where was your internal leake? maybe your leak point is the same as mine. if you could tell me where it was hopefully i can go check it out. How did you check to see if your fuel system maintained constant pressure? I'm thinking about putting on a 35psi guage on one of the lines to see if she'll hold her PSI values. Is this a good idea? can you explain to me the process YOU took in finding out if your fuel levels where dropping? thanx for your help

·
Registered
11,641 Posts

See, that's just the thing - I never really tracked down the exact location of my problem. It just sorta disappeared after I had done a ton of random stuff on the car one day.
There's a one way valve somewhere in the system - or a couple, maybe. Those are the points where I've heard of other people finding a "leak" like I mentioned. Get your hands on a bently and look over the fuel system.
-Nate
PS - the blue coolant sensor is a great thing to replace, anyways - it could very well be causing your problem, and it is only like $8 from the dealer.
-Nate

·
Registered
2,679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Re: Only a true Corrado expert can solve this problem! (SaabFan)

Thanx i'll put in a blue coolent sensor right away, i'll keep you guys updated
Thanx again

·
Registered
529 Posts

mine was like that i had to pump it a bunch of times to get it started... truned out to be the fuel pressure regulator. switch to a 3.5 bar and all is good.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.