VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
No trigger signal to coil - was disconnected crank sensor

FIXED: crank sensor connector spring clip was bent by mechanic so that was loose and prevented trigger signal, but that came loose at same time that clip on distributor came loose and dist was hanging off - TWO PROBLEMS AT SAME TIME - CAR RUNS FINE NOW
THANK YOU FOR LOOKING - HOPE THIS HELPS SOME ONE IN THE FUTURE
Latest Update: Distributor cap came loose (mechanic left one clip loose and VF mounts shook it off). cleaned contacts and put it back on - rotor appears undamaged. Car won't start, one spark when you turn the key and then nothing.
No trigger signal to coil, swapped out ECU with my old one (which worked but was throwing CEL's), swapped out coil, still no joy.
For a brief moment when the battery was dying and the replacement ECU and coil were hooked up I saw regular sparking, but when I hooked up jumper cables and reconnected the coil lead to the distr it wouldn't happen again.
oh, and I cleaned up the contacts in the ignition switch also.

Modified by VWFringe at 9:18 PM 4-24-2006

Modified by VWFringe at 9:20 PM 4-24-2006

Modified by VWFringe at 11:53 AM 4-25-2006

·
Registered
2,781 Posts
Re: Only Two or Three Sparks from Coil on 92 Distributor engine (VWFringe)

Could be a dead coil, they can crap out if you make the spark jump a larger gap than it should. Check the trigger signal going to the coil and ensure it is sending the triggering signal. If the coil is getting the trigger signal everytime but the coil is only sparking intermittantly then it is probably the coil. These coils have a bad habit of dying just like coil packs so it may be its time. I have heard the A3 Jetta/Golf OBD-II coil will work on the distributer VR6 and it is much cheaper to buy and find.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: Only Two or Three Sparks from Coil on 92 Distributor engine (AbsoluteNovice)

(covered in updated text above)

Modified by VWFringe at 9:18 PM 4-24-2006

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Re: Only Two or Three Sparks from Coil on 92 Distributor engine (VWFringe)

(covered in updated text above - tested coil and tried another ECU)
What else could cause no trigger signal to coil besides ECU? I gotta read my manual electrical tracks again? argh!

Modified by VWFringe at 9:19 PM 4-24-2006

1 - 4 of 4 Posts