VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, as I was driving home the other day, rallying the piss out of my dirt road as per usual, I hit the e-brake a little too late to clean a square left turn, and slid into the embankment on the far side of the road. I didn't do any body damage, but as my rear right wheel took the brunt of the hit, the wheel is quite out of alignment. It's off camber towards the inside of the car quite significantly, as well as being bent towards the back of the car. Now, I've had the car up on the jack, and the wheel itself seems to be undamaged, and spins true, though off axis from where it should be. I know that I need to go to an alignment shop, however the nearest one is a half-hour drive away, including what I'm proud to say is the steepest paved road in the state of Colorado. Is there a way to adjust the wheel so that it's a bit straigher, or should I just spring for a tow?
Thanks,
JD

·
Banned
2,166 Posts
Get a tripple A plus membership free tow up to 100miles, to car shops from your house even.
But first I would see what items are damaged, if it's out of kilter something must be bent like control arms, tie rods, strut, something or other. I'd fix that myself before sending out for an alignment.

·
Banned
13,663 Posts
Re: Ooops... (JohnnyDoyle)

Quote, originally posted by JohnnyDoyle »
So, as I was driving home the other day, rallying the piss out of my dirt road as per usual, I hit the e-brake a little too late to clean a square left turn, and slid into the embankment on the far side of the road. I didn't do any body damage, but as my rear right wheel took the brunt of the hit, the wheel is quite out of alignment. It's off camber towards the inside of the car quite significantly, as well as being bent towards the back of the car. Now, I've had the car up on the jack, and the wheel itself seems to be undamaged, and spins true, though off axis from where it should be. I know that I need to go to an alignment shop, however the nearest one is a half-hour drive away, including what I'm proud to say is the steepest paved road in the state of Colorado. Is there a way to adjust the wheel so that it's a bit straigher, or should I just spring for a tow?
Thanks,
JD

an alignment shop is not gonna help you from what i read.
you either bent the beam, or the mount for the beam.
if the beam is bent you can pull it out, but it will never be 100%, best bet is to goto a junkyard and get a replacement.
if the mount is bent you "might" be able to get it pulled, but chances are you will need a new shell.
lets just all cross our fingers and hope its just a bent beam

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Re: (G TownGLi)

Well, the e-brake works just well enough to throw the car around on a dirt road, with some practice. It does next to nothing on pavement. I'm told that replacing the two cables can fix this problem, though at $18 each it hardly seems worth it.
I'll have a more proficient vw mechanic friend take a look at the rear beam. I was kind of hoping that there were adjustments as there are in the front that could fix this problem, but that hope is quickly fading.

Modified by JohnnyDoyle at 11:34 PM 7-23-2005

·
Banned
7,560 Posts
Re: (JohnnyDoyle)

Quote, originally posted by JohnnyDoyle »
Well, the e-brake works just well enough to throw the car around on a dirt road, with some practice. It does next to nothing on pavement. I'm told that replacing the two cables can fix this problem, though at $18 each it hardly seems worth it.
I'll have a more proficient vw mechanic friend take a look at the rear beam. I was kind of hoping that there were adjustments as there are in the front that could fix this problem, but that hope is quickly fading.

Modified by JohnnyDoyle at 11:34 PM 7-23-2005

wow! you wont spend $18 on brake cables, yet youve caused hundreds of dollars worth of damage by driving like a 16 year old??? oops, wait, i better go check that he aint 16....
anyway, wait til you see the repair bill

·
Registered
24,360 Posts
Re: (G TownGLi)

Quote, originally posted by G TownGLi »
wow, your e-brake works? mine does a little less than nothing and i have disks. hmm

haha...they work when you stop and park(well, kinda) but in snow/mud they dont at all while your drivin... go figure...

·
Banned
2,166 Posts
my e-brake on my passat works so well, I can't reverse with the parking brake on. The car climbs up and goes nowhere..With my Jetta, even with new parking brake cables and compeletly new drum assemblies, the cable very tight, it still doesn't seem to do more than hold the car at idle.
You give it gas and it will ride the brake..no problem. Having your brake cables fixed helps adjust the rear brakes and you stop better and the pedal feels nicer, at least with drums.
But there is no adjustment for the rear, you have damaged something I'll bet also.

·
Registered
427 Posts
Re: (sabatosh)

Yea, the rear beam is probably bent. Hey we all make stupid driving mistakes, pay for them, and life goes on. (or rallying goes on
) It's more like you were finding the limits of adhesion on that road and found them.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Re: (PDXGTI8V)

In my opinion, the e-brake is a far less crucial part than the rear beam. Just one of those things that I'll probably fix if I have forty spare dollars lying around, but I've more important things to deal with right now.
Oh, and by the way, I'm not that far off 16 (a few months from 20), but I definitely drive much more recklessly now than I did a few years ago, mostly due to the fact that my first car was an 84 Subaru GL hatchback. But, if I wasn't willing to make and pay for my mistakes, I wouldn't have any fun at all, then, would I?
Oh, well, it happens.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.