VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
36,791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So.... I opened the top to the armrest and I turned back around and hit the top with my arm and it broke off. I kinda have it back in place now, but one of the thingies that goes inside of the armrest is broken, so the top doesn't stay in place. I can't find a part number for this part... is it a separate piece or will I have to get a whole new arm rest setup?
Thanks....

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
Re: Oops.... broke the armrest! Doh! (adg44)

Hate to brake it to you, but the armrest alone is $350 (for cloth). The metalic mouning bracket is $35, with all the hardware and the plastic side pieces the whole thing is like $400 worth of parts.
The dealer parts dept are a bunch of robber barons.

I'm not using my beige leather one (see pics in sig), so if that would work for you let me know. I think they sell pretty routinely in the classifieds for $125 shipped

·
Registered
1,757 Posts

DUDE!! The same exact thing happened to my armrest!! Except my fatass co-worker turned around and broke it.. I was pissed!! Keep me updated!! I want to see if there is a part # for it, or do you have to order the whole thing!! Or is it covered under warranty??

·
Premium Member
36,791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Re: Oops.... broke the armrest! Doh! (anthoughknee)

Holy crap... I think I'll leave it alone then. The thing closes fine, just wobbles a bit when you open it. I'll poke around on ETKA later today when I fix my computer.

·
Premium Member
36,791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Re: Oops.... broke the armrest! Doh! (W0lfsburg4)

quote:[HR][/HR]u got a warranty!! make em fix it
[HR][/HR]​
Nope, I'm a 25,100 miles. Anyways, this wouldn't be covered under warranty. It's not the parts fault that I hit it with my arm and it broke...

·
Registered
22,720 Posts

quote:[HR][/HR]u got a warranty!! make em fix it

Nope, I'm a 25,100 miles. Anyways, this wouldn't be covered under warranty. It's not the parts fault that I hit it with my arm and it broke...[HR][/HR]​
Yes it is. It should have known to get out of the way!!

·
Registered
15,038 Posts
Re: Oops.... broke the armrest! Doh! (landrumdh)

my parts manual lists only the entire armrest as one part. 3B0 864 209 S GLY
that's the beige one, you'll have to get a more specific part number at the dealer. its 323$
Try this in the meantime though. Go to your local TRAK AUTO or pep boys and pick up some plastic glue made by a company called permatex. It's a little bottle of catalyst and a small tube of glue. I use it all the time on everything plastic. For 3$ give that a try http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
Re: Oops.... broke the armrest! Doh! (euro_vw)

quote:[HR][/HR]Anyway, is there any way around it?[HR][/HR]​
Yeah, there is. I removed mine all together and installed the change pocket out of the GL.

[Modified by BoraVR6, 7:29 PM 11-26-2001]

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
Re: Oops.... broke the armrest! Doh! (DuckyGTI)

Yeah, but were you going to say this too...

To fill the hole that exists you'll need two parts:
1J0-858-373-B-R48 Shelf $6.52
1J0-863-328-C-Q70 Lining $3.73
Total price: $10.25 + tax
Remember the above is for beige. I'd assume everything after the first 9 digits is different for other colors (i.e. black and grey)
http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=139626
And finally instrutions for the installation (if you decide to fix it yourself) or removal (if you decide to go the change pocket route) from someone on TDI Club http://www.tdiclub.com/articles/Golf_Armrest/

[Modified by BoraVR6, 8:56 PM 11-26-2001]

·
Registered
16,108 Posts

hey ......... watch this..............
i think there is a dude take off his arm rest in the cabin...........
try to post another topic and find out that guy........
that's the best i can do for ya.........
sorry...
(oops i think that dude is BORA VR6)
ask him quick....911

[Modified by kyokoris, 4:33 AM 11-27-2001]

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
Re: Oops.... broke the armrest! Doh! (kyokoris)

Just swapped mine out with a buddy who has a base tdi, mentioned that this would cost mucho dinero at the dealer, I'll be a bit more forceful next time we're out at the bars...
anyways, really easy swap (easier if I had a magnetic torx screwdriver and not a rusty old bit that kept falling out), I didn't like my armrest and always had it up, opens up the car some I think though it does look a bit more base I suppose, now I can easily smack the rear passengers at least.
-slug

·
Registered
939 Posts

quote:[HR][/HR]DUDE!! ...my fatass co-worker turned around and broke it.. I was pissed!![HR][/HR]​
I do hope you took it out your co-workers hide, or at least had them pay for it!
Jacques

[Modified by Jacques, 12:47 AM 11-27-2001]

·
Registered
939 Posts

Christ, Anthony. If it's not one thing it's another!
Sorry to hear about your latest misfortune. Maybe you can get a replacement from a totalled car (I recall seeing a post about 6 months ago for parts from totalled cars).
Jacques

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
Re: Oops.... broke the armrest! Doh! (Jacques)

Yeah, I was readily angry, and he apologized. I am still waiting to go to the dealer to see if it's covered under warranty. If not, we work at a body shop, so we get things whoelsale. And then I will make him pay for it.

·
Registered
1,187 Posts

arent you supposed to have a 2 year bumper to bumper?
mileage is for other crap
i'd bitch about it...i broke mine cause i had some change in it and a quarter got stuck...tried to open and broke the top part right off.
My trunk broke too and I will MAKE them fix it..they said it was warranty..but i'll show them

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.