VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
From http://www.cardesignnews.com

Opel Vectra GTS
The all-new third generation Opel/Vauxhall Vectra is set to open a new chapter in Opel's successful history in the midsize market segment. The model range is a completely new, driver-oriented design with pioneering technology, high comfort and a particularly spacious interior.
With a 3.2 liter V6 engine, the coupe-like Vectra GTS will be the most powerful Vectra ever. The Vectra GTS reaches 100kmh in 7.5 seconds and has a top speed of 247 km/h.
The new Vectra is the first car to be built in Europe on GM's new global Epsilon platform. Saab's 9-3 replacement and Fiat's new large car will also use the platform.
The four door sedan and five door GTS are based on the same 2700mm wheelbase. They will be shown at the Geneva Motor show in March 2002, with the sedan to go on sale soon after, and the GTS to follow in the summer.
The new Vectra model range will be extended in the next two years with the introduction of additional body-styles, based on a longer wheelbase, including a wagon and 'coupe-wagon' hybrid similar to the Signum2 concept seen at the Frankfurt Motor Show.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I think it's pretty sweet, certainly gives the Passat a run for its money and much more attractive than the Mondeo hatchback IMO. Pricing is expected to undercut both as well.

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
Re: Opel Vectra GTS (MoMo)

That's beautiful! I'm still puzzled as to why North American GM, while coming out with good ideas (i.e. the interior features of the Aztek) just does not design cars as pretty as its own European brands.

·
Registered
34,664 Posts

Opel's mid-size car will definitely turnaround with the new Vectra, if only the consumers can get over the image of "owing a Vectra".

·
Registered
17,135 Posts

Nice! http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif This is what Cadillac's art and science design concept should be.

·
Registered
21,613 Posts

I dunno, I think the slightly older model looked a bit sportier...but definitely a nice car...we owned a tiny tiny opel when I was a kid in Germany...can't think of the name...it was an 86 model or something...very tiny...green with beige interior...hell I was seven at the time!

·
Registered
21,218 Posts
Re: Opel Vectra GTS (Elbows)

Opel should emerge from its dullard period here... the Astra and Corsa are definite improvements, so should this one be...

·
Registered
2,146 Posts
Re: Opel Vectra GTS (SpeedyNSLR)

http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif
What amazes me though is how GM thinks they can get away with selling crap like the Cavalier and Malibu over here while they sell those fine cars in Europe.

·
Registered
34,664 Posts
Re: Opel Vectra GTS (David Votoupal)

Opel's turnaround is very near. First the Astra, then the Zafira with flexible Flex-7 seating and Corsa last year. With this new Vectra and soon-to-be FWD Omega coming, the future looks bright.

·
Registered
21,218 Posts
Re: Opel Vectra GTS (A4Jetta)

Holden's next generation Commodore will be built on a new RWD platform according to some sources... it will also spawn an SUV, another rumour.
However, 2002 could see Holden lose sleep as Ford with its facelifted, revitalised Falcon range offers superior dynamics and quality, maybe buyers will make the switch...

·
Registered
2,005 Posts
Re: Opel Vectra GTS (A4Jetta)

Yeah, its soooooo amazing how GM doesn't takes this kind of approach to their designs. Consider the Azztek designed like this and of course, the things would be so diferent, like selling an european version of the Grand Cherokee (that is a very handsome and elegantly styled SUV).
The big question is how a company of the size of GM doesn't realize that certain design won't be a good one, seeing that is certainly an AWFUL one *asstek*?????
x10^5000000

·
Registered
21,218 Posts
Re: Opel Vectra GTS (Sharpix)

The competence of GM's foreign operations only underline the problems the company- a bloated corporation with a huge gap between two sides of it. When other companies are rationalising, GM still insists on producing totally separate designs for NA and the rest of the world. This is completely outmoded thinking- they should use their best platforms as a basis for a global lineup.
GM needs to realise that this is what got Nissan into trouble in the 90s- over-capacity and a bloated product lineup. It was Ghosn's radical vision which got them back on track, maybe GM need a person like him to institute similarly radical changes in the company.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts

The vectra has a crap reputation in UK , but i can see this car changing that. For a Vauxhall , its pretty damn good looking , if it drives anywhere as good as a mondeo , it should be a cracking car! Even if its a dog , it will still sell tho , coz of all the big companies buying shedloads for their fleets of reps to hammer to death on the motorways....

·
Registered
21,218 Posts
Re: Opel Vectra GTS (dmac1969)

Opel produced some darn fine cool cars in the past, but has gone through a period of dullness. The Calibra... great looks, a dreadful car to drive. Same with the old Astra and the Vectra- not bad-looking, but dull to own and dreadful to drive. I've also heard the current model has had more faults than its predecessor...
Even so, if the new one is a big step forward as the Astra is, then all kudos to Opel.

·
Registered
7,321 Posts

quote:[HR][/HR]I'd like to see interior pics. Last time I saw them, they seemed pretty good...[HR][/HR]​
Here you go:

I think it looks pretty good, much better than the old one.
The old Vectra isn´t really a bad car, albeit not an outstandingly good one. It´s pretty small, the design didn´t age too well, and I think the car has some quirks, too.
BTW.: The most favourite company car around here must be a Passat TDI Variant, preferrably in white or silver.
Importing the European cars doesn´t seem to work for either Ford and GM.
Remember Merkur or most recently the Cadillac Catera.

·
Registered
21,218 Posts
Re: Opel Vectra GTS (Eolair)

Nice interior! More GM cars need that!
Seriously though, the problem is that many European cars from Ford and GM don't arrive in NA in their original form but in a somewhat butchered, watered down form. They should be sold in NA AS THEY ARE IN EUROPE, no excuses for that...

1 - 20 of 31 Posts