VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, so i goto open rear passenger side door and I hear creak and then the sound of paint chipping!!!!!! Apparently the trim on the exterior of the front door slid back a little bit and when you goto open the rear door it catches the front door and bends the trim back to about a 90 degree angle!!!!!! I went to dealership to have them look at this nonsense... they tell me exactly this " If your house that is built 2 years ago has a window break do you call the builder of the house and tell them to replace it?" I was like are you kidding me here buddy... this is a door... and its only purpose is to open and close... if that cant be done without breaking parts then something is severlly wrong... anyone else have anything like this happen to them?
http://****************.com/smile/emthdown.gif http://****************.com/smile/emthdown.gif

·
Registered
442 Posts
Re: Open Door and TRIM BREAKS!!! WTF????? (TURBOwagon)

quote:[HR][/HR] If your house that is built 2 years ago has a window break do you call the builder of the house and tell them to replace it?" [HR][/HR]​
Answer: Yes, if the builder provided me with a 2 year warranty.

·
Registered
3,486 Posts
Re: Open Door and TRIM BREAKS!!! WTF????? (bigjim)

...there were discussions on this years ago. Apparently the earlier Passats had this as a common problem.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Re: Open Door and TRIM BREAKS!!! WTF????? (E36BMW)

If it was a common problem did the dealer replace and include cost's for painting... and then having it match the car... this lil problem will be a big issue... since the car is a 99 the paint im sure wont match the rest of the car exactly...

·
Registered
3,574 Posts

yup, it happened to our 00 Passat. Luckily, we were under warranty at time so the dealer replaced the trim at no charge, including painting. The clearance between the trim and the fender is tight, so if you see any loose trim, you'd better fix it at once. It sucks, doesn't it.

·
Registered
63 Posts

Yep, me too! I was just barely out of warranty (1500 miles) when it happened to my 01 GLS. I took it to the dealer and said it was an undeniable design flaw. At first he acted dumb. Then he accidently admitted he had seen it before.
Anyway, they ordered new parts (front and rear passenger door strips), painted them and installed them. They tried to act like they had done me a big favor. However, I would have went to VWOA if the dealer refused to fix it. This is NOT a wear and tear issue.
To me, this is right up there with the warped windshield problems people had with B5s.

[Modified by 4Q, 4:34 AM 4-11-2002]

·
Registered
1,149 Posts

Yeah it happend to my 99' too, exactly the way you described it.
Took it to my dealer, they checked that there wasn't any sign of scratch (I might have bent it in an accident) then they ordered the part in and changed it, end of story!
Mike

·
Registered
21,085 Posts

In Ontario, a new house is covered for two years on everything, including windows. The structure is covered for seven years. So yes, I would expect them to fix a broken window

·
Registered
'20 Telluride, '22 Santa Fe PHEV, '07 Airstream
9,470 Posts
Re: Open Door and TRIM BREAKS!!! WTF????? (C.J.)

Happened to me too. The glue gives up early, often helped (as in my case) by a very hot day. Once the end of the trim lifts, it's all over.
My car still has a twisted chunk of trim hanging out from the side - I should really fix it someday, but what a PITA...and I'm of course way out of that super-kickass 2/24 warranty....
Tom

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Re: Open Door and TRIM BREAKS!!! WTF????? (mutcth)

Thats it... Im going to the dealership Tomorow... and they will be paying for and fixing this otherwise I'll be passing out a petition to you guys that VWOA will be seeing...

·
Registered
17 Posts

This also happened to my 00 GLX wagon. The dealer tried to get out of replacing the trim, but gave up after a few seconds. This was within the 2y/24k time span, actually car was 6 months old. Except for a few other problems,
buzzing door locks and vacume leaks, I still enjoy the car, when my wife lets me drive it.

·
Registered
3,574 Posts
Re: Open Door and TRIM BREAKS!!! WTF????? (jackjetta)

Definitely a material flaw (the glue), trim are not supposed to fall off like that. The dealer might try to blow you off because it's just a trim, a non-safety item. Let's say if it's your windshield that falls off, do you think they can easily say wear and tear? Check your other door trims, I checked mine and found a bit of extra (hardened) glue at the bottom of one trim. Looks like the glue melted and oozed out under hot sun or something...
Dodge has a very similar problem with earlier models of Caravans (85-86's, I think). I can spot a lot of older Caravans around here with missing front passenger side trim, including my co-worker's!

[Modified by sg207ptg, 3:45 PM 4-11-2002]

·
Banned
10,783 Posts

If you go in there with both barrels aimed at the first person you see, you will be a very unhappy customer.
If you go in being nice, state your case, and ASK if they would be willing to cover it, as a favor, in GOODWILL, then yes, I would say you have a case.
Bottom line, you are out of warranty. They don't HAVE to do anything, and all cars have design flaws. I think of trim as a very minor one. Be exceedingly nice, and with the understanding that you don't have much of a leg to stand on. We can all rally here about how unacceptable it is, and you are right. But it is not the dealer's fault VW used weak glue.
Anytime you wanna talk window regulators and MAF sensors, you can come to the MKiV forums.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Re: Open Door and TRIM BREAKS!!! WTF????? (BobT)

I had it happen to my '99 while under warranty. They got a replacement part and had it painted and assembled. I just had to drive their loaner for two days. Your dealer should take care of it, lest they don't want your business (and others) any more.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.