VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so andy and i actually pulled Red's blown engine to swap in our friend Tommy J's that (as you will see on his cluster) has about 85K original miles, no leaks, and minus some bumps and bruses sustained in his car accident with a 17 year old driver who thought his lane was a turning lane, is a tight engine with stock (and mostly ORIGINAL) parts. i droooled.
ok here we go on the journey of a crappy yellow scirocco which is FOR SALE. buy her. yes yes.
(you will also hear about some SCARRY things which we discovered pulling the engine out. holy electrical issues batman!)
if you missed it, i blew my 16v head by hitting a pothole. it looks like this.

yay broken.
here's my doner.

Discovery #1 - BROKEN FRONT MOUNT??!??!!!?

My Bottom End. ewwwie. it's a mess in there.

it might just be me but i think i discovered why my power steering was effed up. (coolant ended up in the bin AFTER the the power steering was drained.)

Good bye you pain in my butt!

We're gettin there!

If only you knew how much i hate you.

stressball/sponge textured vacc line. (probably was an issure in the not starting problem)

sooo this is my tranny. if you know anything by looking at it...you know it's not right. but hey, only 30,000K on it. and it works like a dream but it caused some problems with us needing to swap all the clutch stuff from the old to the "new"

here's the tranny on the doner.
tom never touched anything on the car. ( that looks too good to me.)

rado. looking splendifferous.

the doner's cluster that worked upuntil it died. i dunno if im going to swap it in. i mean, my clock still works, and other than the milage that will be miles of car instead of engine....mines not cracked. input on this?

Doner tranny: only a cracked case.

Doner starter thing. tad broken.

Doner mount: shifted and broke in accident but it protected the hell out of the engine.

this is all my old block is good for....chili cup holder.

we gave up tonight. poor grandma's garage. no room to put the caddy back in.

and Red got a new name.

so things we found: 14 zip ties holding many wires together (3 different colors - 3 different people applying the zip ties?!). a MISSING tranny mount bolt on my tranny and the other 2 were loose to the point the mount wiggled a centimeter in any direction (no wonder it shifted funky.), the broken front mount (which was MISSING when i got the car), there is NO K-bar (andy's donating one of his yay.), the wrong tranny is in the rocco (but it's not broken so why fix it which would require us buying one.), the reverse light switch was broken, crappy BLACK power steering fluid, random wires going from the battery to the block, the idiot-installed wiring for the "fog lights" i dont have, a few missing screws, and your typical 16v stress.
what are we doing tomorrow night?
you take a guess.

atleast she's gonna be a million times better than she was for me to who-ever buys her. (im gonna miss this car. the engine from tom is so freeking awesome. i LOOOOVED his car so much i got mine. it was night and day.)

Modified by chrisy sdhesive at 2:52 AM 4-24-2006

Modified by chrisy sdhesive at 3:49 PM 4-24-2006

·
Registered
9,616 Posts
Re: OPERATION: 1.8L 16v swap (chrisy sdhesive)

wow.

just....wow.

been a busy little bee this weekend then. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif
glad to see it coming along chrisy....g'luck w/ the install.

p.s. are y'all planning on cleaning that stuff (trans in particular) before putting it all into Red's bay? if so, be sure to bring:
-several scothbrite pads
-copius amounts of water, applied liberally w/ a hose
-a quality degreaser
-a couple stiff brushes
oh and don't forget your tub of elbow grease, either. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif
my feelings on the thankless chore of degreasing?

my theory is this: a clean engine is a happy engine.
they just seem to run better. and it's oh-so-much more enjoyable to work on later.

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yeah i got the degreaser the state of NY uses on it's college campuses to clean all the anthropology cadaver bins.
(my dad handles maintenence in many departments of a SUNY campus)
it's some crazy powerful stuff but i've got my scotch-brite, degraser, 3 pairs of gloves, an old toothbrush and some safety goggles.

·
Registered
9,616 Posts
Re: (chrisy sdhesive)

bizzump

WTF? suddenly no one on the 'tex has any words of encouragement or tips to dish out?

i find that hard to believe.

*crosses arms, pouting*

·
Banned
4,709 Posts
Re: (ginster86roc)

Quote, originally posted by ginster86roc »
bizzump

WTF? suddenly no one on the 'tex has any words of encouragement or tips to dish out?

i find that hard to believe.

*crosses arms, pouting*

uh....w00t?!

I thought you were quitting...or are you quitting being a quitter?

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
tooooomorrow.
im skipping my classes to get the damn thing in.
well, that is if my dad rememberd to pick up the engine fluids i need from the stealership. (no worries...i know my parts guy. woo discounts)

·
Registered
5,624 Posts

We're hoping you are so happy with your success after putting the beast back together, you decide to keep it and stay loyal to the tribe.

·
Registered
9,616 Posts
Re: (sciroccojim)

Quote, originally posted by sciroccojim »
We're hoping you are so happy with your success after putting the beast back together, you decide to keep it and stay loyal to the tribe.

+ a bazillion http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
the only way i would be able to keep it is if someone lets me borrow $2000.00 to pay my land lady.
they'd be paid back by june. with interest.
unforuntately i dont know anyone with $2000 sitting around.

·
Registered
4,237 Posts
Re: OPERATION: 1.8L 16v swap (chrisy sdhesive)

Keep us updated!
The pics and captions are great, entertaining and well um Chrissy you have very masculine hands...
Seriuosly though good luck with the new motor, looks like its taking care of alot of problems and getting you on the right track.
How soon before we see pics of it back on the road and the ear to ear grin a well running Scirocco brings?

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
those are andy's man hands.

i wish he had a pick of me standing on the front bumper being suspended by the wrench trying to get a head bolt off. it didnt budge. so i had to enlist muscles.

i figure this weekend she'll be back up to road-worthy-ness. so that means i need to reenstate my for sale threads. *sniffle*

·
Banned
1,825 Posts

what a fun project (um, not), bored tonight so I figured I'd inquire about what color of yeller that Vee Dub is
what up with the 2.0 8v motor that was in the photo group? you put that oily mess 16v motor in right?
somewhat interested in the car . . . one can never have too many Sciroccos
did you dent the hood when you posed for the pic? I mean not to insult you but the hoods are flimsy (ie: even your max weight of ? um, think of something here, tough area . . .lessee, maybe buck o five)
anyway, good luck on the swap
a shame to put all that labor in (well that Andy dude helping you anwyay) and then sell it for what Sciroccos are worth (which aint much)
good luck all the same on swap, the car running right, the yellow paint on the bumpers not flaking off, and most of all SELLING her to pay your bills
(totally been there before and know how that sucks - I may have to give back a white Scirocco I thought I just bought, but can't come up with the remaining 1340.00 I owe to the small car lot . . . I, um, "rented" her for for $460/for one month!) later . . .going to bed . . . Pete

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
well i think it's Brilliant Yellow. the previous owner painted it crapily, it was the lighter of silvers offered in 1988 and where the yellow is coming off you can still see that the clear coat was never preped for the yellow. it's always been a 16v. we're just replacing the original 16v with a 16v from another 1988 scirocco. (i blew the head on the original and the entire doner engine was cheeper than rebuilding the head) and as i weigh 110 lbs, the hood was completely fine after my butt sat on it for 5 seconds for that picture in the photobucket acct. there are no dents (minus 1 ding from another car door which occured in a busy parking lot but what car doesnt have those) in my rocco.
thanks for the luck, i'll need it. my rents late...again.
and pete....where did you see this 2.0L 8v??? cuz uh...i dont have one of those.

Modified by chrisy sdhesive at 1:03 AM 4-26-2006

·
Banned
1,825 Posts

oh in your photos you have a picture of a newer Golf? with its 2.0 must have got mixed in . . . a friend's car perhaps?

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
can you link me? i dont know anyone with a golf. theres a passat wagon, and an 83 rabbit, and an ABA swapped jetta coupe in the family...no golfs though.
**DOH! i figured out what you wer talking about. thats the 2.0L out of my 1997 jetta that went into the BF's 1991 Jetta coupe. such a strong engine i couldnt sell it. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif **

Modified by chrisy sdhesive at 11:21 AM 4-26-2006

·
Banned
1,825 Posts

yep that is it, there is some guying selling a 2.0t Scirocco . . .wonder if he'll respond to an email I sent him . . . man Chrisy, that sux big time you gotta sell your scirocco . . .**** I got extra Sciroccos more than I got extra $$, story of my life, been trying to move and now these damn "kids" are in the way . . .like how the f((( can I move with 3.5 Vee Dubs (I half own a dumb Golf Gti . . I got it for 50 bucks from a nerdy college dorkus here that won it in, get this, in a "wizards type card game . .or something totally stupid like that . ." I tried to give him 20 bucks for the trouble with him applying for a lost title (a friend and I basically just paid the mechanic's lein on it to a cool retiring 75 year old Vee Dub mechanic that just wanted it OUT of his rented shop) . .anyway, el Dorko and his bumble bee colored "sissy mini Ram" (Dodge! . . .that thing!) truck he abandoned the Gti 16v and it got towed to this super friendly old VW mech .. .but it currently sits in my sister's garage waiting to be transformed into an SCCA racecar . .dammit, I want to race a Scirocco!
I hate TR-ucks! (said in redneckspeak) two of my Sciroccos have been, um, well, they have had unwelcome advances in their rear ends .. there, that is a pleasant way to put it . . .these cars are my 'girls' and I get upset when they get f(((ed up! . . .**** I talk a lot .. .and I'm not on crack I swear
yeah hey does your part of NY have ******** like we have here in Indiana? I LOVE upstate NY, been to Vermont twice but never in a Vee Dub . .hey this is becoming one of those novels I'm famous for . .so better stop

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
oh yeah we have ********.
i live in the middle of ******* WNY. its ridiculous. sometimes i want to beat them all.
(plus i work drive thru at the local burger king so i see the real winnars)

·
Registered
2,892 Posts

Quote, originally posted by chrisy sdhesive »
oh yeah we have ********.
i live in the middle of ******* WNY. its ridiculous. sometimes i want to beat them all.
(plus i work drive thru at the local burger king so i see the real winnars)

winnar winnar chicken dinnar

1 - 20 of 22 Posts