VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1982 Rabbit, 1998 c4 a6 avant, 1984 gti
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have officially picked up another rabbit tonight. This thing is going to need a good bit of work to get it driving on the road again. Just figured I would make a thread for it now, even if it might be awhile until I can get some real work done on it.
Tire Wheel Land vehicle Car Vehicle

Motor vehicle Vehicle Automotive air manifold Automotive exterior Bumper

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
That's a Genuine Synthetic Harlequin. Best to part that one out. Keep the good stuff. Nothing historic about it.
a big reason I was attracted to this one was to little to no rust on it. It is unheard of to find one with this little of rust for such a low price around were I live. The paint is a bit kooky I agree but I like stupid things (probably why I like rabbits so much).

·
Registered
33 Posts
The harlequin stuff actually dates to the aircooled era, back when the Beetle was one of the first cars with interchangable body parts from the factory. (most american and other cars at that vintage (late 50s) had body parts that were individually tweaked/fitted but VW was good enough at mass production they would be able to interchange a lot more readily. They made an aircooled ad about it at the time. )

·
Registered
87 Citi Golf > 02 Golf > 17 GTI Sport
17 Posts

·
Registered
787 Posts
I also learned something new! What do the kids say these days? I was today years old when I found out that my 87 Citi Golf in South Africa actually was a Rabbit?! The red was more orange than on the OP's, though. I cribbed these screenshots from Bet You Didn't Know the 1975-84 VW Rabbit Stayed In Production Around The World Until...2009! - I can't find my photos (printed on paper) right now ...

View attachment 130766

View attachment 130767
Yes, though they only called them a rabbit here in the USA (correct me if I'm wrong)
Most of the world called it a golf, from the beginning, though in Mexico it was a caribe.

What part of South Africa are you from? I've been there many times.

Sent from my KYOCERA-E6920 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Pulled the engine and transmission today.
Car Land vehicle Vehicle Hood Motor vehicle

Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Hood

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive design Vehicle Automotive exterior

Hood Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Car

Pulled the transmission off of the engine and took it a little apart and found a ton of metal flakes. I wasn't all that surprised as the guy I bought the car from claimed the transmission was stuck in third after he was racing it.

Water Wood Liquid Automotive lighting Art

Automotive tire Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Automotive design Automotive exhaust

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Light Automotive lighting

·
Registered
87 Citi Golf > 02 Golf > 17 GTI Sport
17 Posts
Yes, though they only called them a rabbit here in the USA (correct me if I'm wrong)
Most of the world called it a golf, from the beginning, though in Mexico it was a caribe.

What part of South Africa are you from? I've been there many times.
Now that I've thought to look, there are so many great articles and blogs on the Citi Golf, what a fun rabbit hole (haha).
I am from the US but I lived in Cape Town 2000-2004 and Joburg for a short while during that time.

·
Registered
6,177 Posts
I wonder if it was a GTI that lost some of its GTI specific parts or a L/LX that got some GTI parts. It might be worth looking into.. If nothing else, be careful with the GTI specific stuff. GTI specific stuff is getting expensive! Front air dams are fetching 3-400$ these days!

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I wonder if it was a GTI that lost some of its GTI specific parts or a L/LX that got some GTI parts. It might be worth looking into.. If nothing else, be careful with the GTI specific stuff. GTI specific stuff is getting expensive! Front air dams are fetching 3-400$ these days!
previous owner claimed it was an original GTI car. I can tell it was originally silver. The interior is no longer GTI. It has the sway bar and such underneath. Apparently it was at one point owned by some tectonics tuning dude too, but I have no way to prove that.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts