VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey All!

Just wanted to share my OSR (Operation Silly Rabbit) build. My name is Erik and I'm 51 (man that sounds old) and I've purchased this little guy a couple of months ago as a project for my son and I. He's 16 and wanted a mustang and I felt this was way better. I've built quite a few cars (mostly factory five) but have had several VWs throughout my life including a 69 show bug, Mk2 and 3 Jettas and their fun factor, size, ease of use, and accessibility are superior to any mustang. I purchased this for a ridiculous amount (I don't want to admit what I paid) but it's been worth it already. And seeing the pricing trends, I felt that I could break even or better with a well built resto-mod that stays the path but adds some more fun with small improvements. I've spoken to the master Derek Spratt (the GTI master) and he's given me some great guidance. So with that said let's get going. I hope you all come along for the ride and I look forward to any and all comments and suggestions!

e

1983 VW GTI 8V. No mods. Came with a new clutch, cable, brake rotors and pads, tires, motor mounts, plugs, wires, etc.
Tire Wheel Car Land vehicle Automotive parking light

Planned Mods are:
  1. New EuroSport Exhaust with new CAT- obtained
  2. Solowerks coilovers- ordered today 11.22!!
  3. Eurosport upper and lower stress (do I really need the lower 4 point or is the 2 point enough)
  4. Extra set of wheels and tires- obtained
  5. Cam- 260/Eurogrind?
  6. Hella horns- installed
  7. Short shift kit- installed
  8. NRG steering wheel with quick release- obtained
  9. Change interior from blue to black to make life easier
  10. Full sound proofing
Fixes:
  1. Windshield-obtained
  2. Seals- Man these are a bitch to get- still working
  3. CV joints
  4. Wheel bearings
  5. tie-rod ends
  6. Brake booster
  7. Carpet kit
  8. Headliner
  9. Suspension Bushings
  10. Vent windows- Needs new seals but I have a cabrio bolt on on the right and regular on the left that's detached from the hardware! Can't find any adhesive to remount.
  11. Door cards need to be resitched to flat pieces
  12. Electrical- Fuse box has rust
  13. Steering-seems okay but some play

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Some fun wildlife found in the car. I think some rust beavers got o the tail pipe.... Over all though the car is pretty rust free. It must have been a california car. The Vermont License plate is for registration only. I've asked to transfer it and see how long it will last here in CA.

Automotive lighting Hood Automotive tire Road surface Asphalt
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Hood Automotive lighting

Road surface Asphalt Wood Automotive tire Manhole

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
For some reason this return line was disconnected and it's too short to reconnect. So I made a coupling with some fittings but I was surprised to see it still leaks which means gas circulates back up from the tank? Very strange. Is there something else that connects these? Thanks.

Wood Road surface Asphalt Grey Wall

Some really nice exhaust work here.
Tire Automotive tire Motor vehicle Hood Bumper

Wood Terrestrial plant Metal Art Artifact

Fuel sender wouldn't register past at half tank when full so pulled out the sender. What a mess. BUT, it Turns out it was the dumb connector sheet was corroded on the back of the cluster so I just bypassed it and connected to the post.
Automotive tire Blue Motor vehicle Asphalt Gas

Need to fix this plexi. If anyone knows how, please let me know! But at least the fuel works and now all the lights do too!
Speedometer Vehicle Odometer Motor vehicle Gauge

NOTE: There is a resistor on the back of the cluster that get hotter than hell. Anyone know why?
Electronic instrument Audio equipment Gas Electronic engineering Electronic component

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
This vent window is a "Glue On" and for the life of me, I haven't found adhesive strong enough to bond the glass to the hardware and hold it. I've used 3M window weld and KOA 300 (UV glass). Any ideas would be appreciated. The other side is a bolt on!

Hood Automotive lighting Automotive tire Motor vehicle Grille

This door pulled apart so I welded it back together.

Hood Automotive tire Motor vehicle Rim Bumper

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Hood Bumper Automotive design

Temp paint till we paint it. Hopefully in the summer.

Vehicle Motor vehicle Tire Car Hood

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The kid and I pulled the grille and installed the horns. Love the duality there with the 80s being Hella Rad and using Hella Horns that are Hella Loud!
Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Hood Vehicle Automotive design

Grill refurb. Now it's a GTI.
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Road surface Bumper Wood

Oh wait, bought the ****ty badge on ebay and repainted it. Now it's a GTI. Note the bumper bump and tuck. Painted those too until we get the euros.
Automotive parking light Vehicle Grille Car Tire

Grille Car Automotive lighting Hood Motor vehicle

My dad is also sponsoring the project and bought these wheels. They were $95ea from NLMotoring but more importantly these were only 13lbs saving about 1lb per wheel over stock. Even better, the Ventus v2s' were 4lbs less per tire than the Uniroyal Tiger Paws that were on there. That's 20lbs of unsprung weight! Even betterer, the V2s were $60/tire on amazon shipped!
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Locking hubs Tread

Obviously, I'd rather have a dozen period correct wheels of course but what they are going for and the fact that this was ~$700 all in for light wheels and pretty good tire, this will do the trick.
Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Automotive tire

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Expert and delicate windshield removal. Follow me for more tips.
Hood Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Automotive design

Rabbits burn rubber! The previous owner was nice enough to glue the last windshield so removing all the old 3M took a while. Also had to get down to any rust. There wasn't much thank god.
Shoe Leg Hood Automotive tire Automotive lighting

Vehicle Hood Car Motor vehicle Automotive tire

Carpet out and floor coating out. The air chisel was a GODSEND for this job. This is all surface rust and almost wiped off! The only real rust was in the seat rails so I took a wire brush to it.

Motor vehicle Hood Automotive tire Wood Automotive exterior

POR-15'd the whole thing including the windshield frame.
Motor vehicle Hood Automotive design Automotive lighting Automotive tire

Sound mat installed on the whole floorpan.
Automotive tire Automotive lighting Wood Rectangle Vehicle door

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
This work is exhausting. Wah wah. Anyone recognize this dude? That's the one and only Rafi. Reuniting with him has been a highlight. It's been almost 30 years since I had seen him and we grabbed lunch and picked right back up where we left off. So awesome. Oh, and by the way he pieced together the last Mk1 exhaust he had left!
Shipping box Audio equipment Electronic instrument Automotive design Engineering

Should sound a little better and with a new cat coming from AZ, be cleaner too!
Wood Material property Gas Font Lock

This was the good side. The honeycomb looked okay but was broken inside so I scavenged the flanges and will use them on the new one!
Automotive lighting Automotive exterior Gas Rim Motor vehicle

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
Hey All!

Just wanted to share my OSR (Operation Silly Rabbit) build. My name is Erik and I'm 51 (man that sounds old) and I've purchased this little guy a couple of months ago as a project for my son and I. He's 16 and wanted a mustang and I felt this was way better. I've built quite a few cars (mostly factory five) but have had several VWs throughout my life including a 69 show bug, Mk2 and 3 Jettas and their fun factor, size, ease of use, and accessibility are superior to any mustang. I purchased this for a ridiculous amount (I don't want to admit what I paid) but it's been worth it already. And seeing the pricing trends, I felt that I could break even or better with a well built resto-mod that stays the path but adds some more fun with small improvements. I've spoken to the master Derek Spratt (the GTI master) and he's given me some great guidance. So with that said let's get going. I hope you all come along for the ride and I look forward to any and all comments and suggestions!

e

1983 VW GTI 8V. No mods. Came with a new clutch, cable, brake rotors and pads, tires, motor mounts, plugs, wires, etc.
View attachment 238764

Planned Mods are:
  3. Eurosport upper and lower stress (do I really need the lower 4 point or is the 2 point enough)
  5. Cam- 260/Eurogrind?
  10. Full sound proofing
Fixes:
  1. Windshield-obtained
  3. CV joints
  4. Wheel bearings
  5. tie-rod ends
  6. Brake booster
  7. Carpet kit
  8. Headliner
  9. Suspension Bushings
  10. Vent windows- Needs new seals but I have a cabrio bolt on on the right and regular on the left that's detached from the hardware! Can't find any adhesive to remount.
Erik:

That is nice!!! Where do you live? Tell your son that Fords SUCK! German cars make American carsvlook like dog crap! I have a 95 MKIII Jetta that's tuned restored 97%. Owned it 27 years. 5 speed. Dusty mauve. Love old VWs to death. Have fun with the upgrades/restore. 8v or 16v? Very cool find!!!!

·
Registered
156 Posts
Big fan of any project that gets father/son working on a common goal…working on a GTI, even better.

Kindly keep me in mind if you plan to discard or sell any of the good condition blue interior bits.

Thx.

·
Registered
'91 GLI, '98 Vr6 GTI, '17 Golf R
869 Posts
It will still look stock minus the wheels and 1.5" lower stance but I'll keep the snowflakes and ride will be adjustable. Not much else. :)
Lol, I'm 51, my 16 yr old is running around in my old daily '91 Jetta 2.0 16v Mk2, running snowflakes. I wouldn't consider anything that unbolts as "modded", that's just "improved".

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
Hey All!

e

View attachment 238764

Planned Mods are:
  5. Cam- 260/Eurogrind?
  10. Full sound proofing
Fixes:
  1. Windshield-obtained
  3. CV joints
  4. Wheel bearings
  5. tie-rod ends
  6. Brake booster
  7. Carpet kit
  8. Headliner
  9. Suspension Bushings
Erik:

51 is old? Not hardly. Depends on how you aged. I put Hellas in my Jetta too. Love them. Annoying, high-pitched scream when idiots are looking at their phones at a green light.(lol)

Here's my Jetta on ECS Tuning website. Entered their virtual car show in 2018. Don't know how that Bimmer beat me in my category. Your car is going to be amazing when you're done. Great work man! Tell your son I said "Ford is a 4-letter word." Scroll all the way down. You'll see my build list and pics. The Snowflakes look best. Ditch those other wheels.

·
Registered
3,777 Posts
Glue on vents definitely isn’t OE for 83. Should be bolt on, on each side.
Was that windshield broken? It’s supposed to be glued in.

Good progress, otherwise.

-Todd
Not true early 83 were glued on only late 83 and all 84 were bolt on. All three of my 83's were glued and they never held on that's why they started bolting them on.

Car looks great.. Keep up the great work.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Glue on vents definitely isn’t OE for 83. Should be bolt on, on each side.
Was that windshield broken? It’s supposed to be glued in.

Good progress, otherwise.

-Todd
That is great to know Todd. I'll just buy another bolt in or can I just by the hardware? That upper mount looks to be a press fit or something. And seriously? The windshield doesn't take a gasket? I had assumed that, since it was tinted on top and the windshield had cracked, that it was supposed to be a gasket fit. But yes I was broken pretty bad. I thought the chassis had flexed a little too much and caused the crack!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Kindly keep me in mind if you plan to discard or sell any of the good condition blue interior bits.

Thx.
I might have some belts but they aren't great.. I think I'm switching everything to black. The blue is tough as you know and I have Mk2 seats that are silver and those seats also have the drop feature which is great for me and the kid. He's 6-4. Lots of life changing decisions as you know. :)

1 - 20 of 59 Posts