VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
4,625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Made some phone calls today and learned that complete "remanufactured" drive shafts with both CV joints are cheaper than one new outer CV joint.
I was immediately curious about that and asked the counterman how that could be possible. The counter guy wouldn't reveal any specifics so I searched the internet, contacted a firm that makes the precision machines that recondition used CV joints, and another firm that remanufactures the shafts.
Cutting to the chase, the rebuilder can recondition used CV joints by resurfacing the curved grooves in which the balls fit, then assembling the joints with new balls. That's a LOT cheaper than buying new CV joints.
So whatt'ya think? Anybody have experience using drive shafts with the remanufactured CV joints??
Thanks for your ideas and opinions!

· Registered
20,749 Posts
Re: Opinion of "remanufactured" CV joints? (clyde)

I personally use rebuilt axles from napa which most likely have remaned CV jts but they have a lifetime warrenty...and I keep a spare set on the shelf. but I plan on doing heaving competition I 'd be buying new CV JTs
Read this:
http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=646531

· Registered
1,364 Posts
Re: Opinion of "remanufactured" CV joints? (clyde)

I think the outside race (grooved part) is only heat treated, which is good. But regrinding them will reduce wall thickness and weaken them more than originally designed, and that's assuming everything else is proper, like the hardened surface.
I'm of the mindset to buy new, pay double, half the headache, and twice the range

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.