VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking at thier Topline "Gold" engine kit....for $299, it comes with gaskets, pistons, rings, main & rod bearings, thrust washers, timing belt, and oil pump expansion plugs, and a 12 month warranty on parts.
In the TT catalog, the cheapest pistons are $275, so I'm wondering if the above kit is going to be low quality, or if its really a good deal. Also, I'm pretty sure the TT pistons are OEM cast replacements, not forged, but I may be wrong, and that would explain the higher price.
Has anyone ever dealt with importperformanceparts with good or bad experiences?
Like I posted earlier, I only paid $500 for a 71,000 mile Fox, and the car is mint except for a locked motor (I didn't know it had been run with synthetic oil) so I don't want to spend a whole lot on repairing it, when I could part it out or sell it and be done with it w/o spending more $
Thanks for any help

·
Premium Member
22,004 Posts
Re: opinions on importperformanceparts.net engine kits (vwfocks)

I believe the common feeling amongst regulars in here, is that the best way to solve bottom end problems with the 1.8 is to throw it in the trash, and locate a low-mileage/good condition 2.0 ABA block, which is quite plentifully found in 93+ Golfs & Jettas. You can expect to pay from $200 for the block incl. all internals, to $800 for a complete engine w/ all accessories, wiring etc.
The swap is pretty much a bolt-up deal, excluding some very minor things like, for example, swapping the oil pickup and pan so they clear the fox subframe etc.
Have a look in the FAQs for lots of information / ideas.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts