VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just curious how you find the clutch and shifter since there's been a few posts about lacking pedal feel, poor take-up, etc...
I've never been a huge fan of VW clutch pedals. I find the travel is a foot long, with pick up in the last 3" of travel. That's what it was like on our older MkIV Wolfsburg Jetta anyway, and same with our current MkIV Passat 1.8T.
In comparison my old '94 Corolla had what felt like an 8" travel, and it picked up 2" off the floor.
So do you actually like it? Or is the only reason you're driving it is because you don't want an auto?

I have a Tiptronic now, hence the question.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Re: Opinions on manual-trans Rabbits (Kojach)

The clutch is pretty numb.. but as the second replier stated - you get used to it real fast. Gearbox is pretty notchy too.
Driven the car for 64k km so far, and no issues with the tranny.

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
Re: Opinions on manual-trans Rabbits (Kojach)

I like it. There are a few issues some people have with the revs hanging up, thus resulting in slower shifts or having to drag the clutch, but there are solutions for that. C2 motorsports released soft for the 150hp 2.5 and the 170hp 2.5 soft is coming soon as well.

·
Registered
2,254 Posts
The petal really is kindof numb. Then again, Im not trying to drive a corvette and expecting anything superfantastic out of it. It's comphy to drive, though the box is a tad notchy, it's definitely much tighter than any of the other vw's i've owned.

·
Registered
2,233 Posts
Re: (turbomonkeyexpress)

tdi ftw.... i completely depress the clutch every shift and shift slow because i drive slow haha but engaugement is at the top of the pedal feel.

·
Registered
4,330 Posts
Re: (absoluteczech)

I never really got used to mine and hence traded it in on a DSG GTI at 6k miles. The car was originally for my wife, she really couldn't get used to and ended up hating it. So I got it next, and sometimes I could get smooth shifts, but sometimes I couldn't. I've driven manuals for years before this. I think you'll find mixed opinions on this, some hate the manually tranny others find it decent. I can tell you had our Rabbit had tip, we would still have it today.

·
Registered
4,529 Posts
Re: (haunted reality)

Going from an F150 to this was like driving a corvette. It doesn't feel that great anymore, but much nicer then some of my friends.
A friend of mine has a mkIV vr6 with a supposed stage 3 clutch, thats what the dealer told him when he bought it, it feels like your pressing your foot into jello.

·
Registered
6,789 Posts
Re: (cyclegrip)

The dual mass flywheel in these cars will "numb" the clutch pedal a little bit... while they are much easier for someone to learn to drive manual on (way more forgiving), they do take away quite a bit of that pressure most people are used to with a manual "sports" car.
If someone really wanted to change the feel of the pedal, changing out to a single mass flywheel and a pretty beefy clutch / pressure plate setup should offer a clutch pedal with a bit more feedback.

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
yeah, what they said ^^^^
the clutch is really light feeling. i drove my friends mkiv 337 and got back into my car. i felt like i was going to push the pedal through the floorboard

1 - 15 of 15 Posts