VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Opinions? I am currently look for a project 2nd gen. f-body. Tommorow im test driving a 400 cu. inch(6.6l) 76 trans am. Its all original and has highway gearing ( the guy said the rearend is a 2.92) I looked up the specs and it makes something like 185 Hp and 310 ft/lbs but i heard from a friend that late 70s-80s f-bodys have no "go" is this true? I will primarily be using this car to terrorize the street and eventually will get it into drag racing. Hopefully if the engine is strong i will get n20 exhaust and cams/heads.
Also, are Trans Ams considered white trash? I for one love the look but i hear them being called "red neck ferraris" and such. This is just a side note... it will not influence my decision at all, just curious.
eye candy

·
Registered
77 Posts
Re: Opinions on the Trans Am (urabus_xrw)

Those are all sex on wheels, and if they come in that trim then that for sure is not a mulletmobile.
Now if you jack the back up real high, do no body work, cb antenna and have glass packs hanging down then that for sure would be a mulletmobile.

·
Registered
11,806 Posts

Im in love with the '77 Bandit Edition Trans Am. I will own 1 one day. So much so that the local Trans Am dealer has a '79 Trans Am that they claim is the sane model as the one in Smokey and the Bandit. When in fact it was a '77 and the '79 got a new nose clip. The cars can be fast with the right setup.
Look at the diff. between the front headlights and grill.

1980 Trans Am, that was featured in Smokey and the Bandit II

·
Registered
3,538 Posts
In stock trim they really aren't fast, but they do have torque so on the highway with the right gearing they move about.
But you have 6.6L of displacement and a bucket load of torque at low revs. Get the engine to breath better and ditch all the emisions crap that the late 70's cars got and you will have alot more power.
Throw on a nice intake manifold and 4bbl carb, some decent headers and a 3 inch exhaust. That should free up a fair amount of horespower on a motor of that size. Change up the rear end gearing to a ratio much more suitable for rapid accelation.
Just remeber gas prices are rising up to $2.25 for some sunoco 93 octane (in NJ at least) and those cars are the fartherst thing from gas friendly.

·
Registered
2,377 Posts
we beat an rsx-r with my freinds stock trans am with the 400cid. they may not have a lot of hp but the torque gets yuou going pretty fast although they lose steam after about 80. but the car is a victim of the fuel crisis. throw some better heads and a new cam on that sucker and it will be pretty fast.

·
Registered
3,987 Posts

Quote, originally posted by urabus_xrw »

Also, are Trans Ams considered white trash? I for one love the look but i hear them being called "red neck ferraris" and such. This is just a side note... it will not influence my decision at all, just curious.

To most people I know, probably. IMO they don't have a classic look like the older generations and they don't look particularly new either like the newest F body trans ams. To be a real ******* car it has to be taken apart next to your trailer.
So as long as you take care of it and can put up with some joking about your future purchase of a doublewide I don't think it'd make you a hick

-Andrew

·
Registered
7,433 Posts
Re: Opinions on the Trans Am (AndrewTosh)

I like the older Trans AM's, they just look mean sitting there.

·
Registered
38,608 Posts

when I was little, just about EVERY kid thought that was the coolest car in the world. whenever you saw one, with the screaming chicken on it, whoever was driving it was treated like royalty. you could get an entire school bus full of kids to all leap to one side just to see one drive by.
man, the 70s and early 80s ruled!

obin

·
Registered
24,098 Posts

Sorry, I had to do it before someone else did...

·
Registered
4,502 Posts
Re: Opinions on the Trans Am (jjmdaturd)

Quote, originally posted by jjmdaturd »
sex on wheels? IMHO it is like sex between grandma and grandpa...

You mean its slow, labored and smells like medicine?

·
Registered
452 Posts
Re: Opinions on the Trans Am (evil_VR6)

Quote, originally posted by evil_VR6 »

You mean its slow, labored and smells like medicine?

I have to give it to you.... you made me LMAO!!!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts