VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Newbie here with probably dumbest question of the day.

Bought a used R that was stock other than a cold air intake. I notice that the wheels slip a little (newer tires)from hard take offs in sport mode. I don't recall that before in my MK7.

It made me think, could a used car R be tuned still without me knowing it? Would my dealer be able to scan and tell me? OBDeleven?

I do not know much about tunes and was not certain if they are not cleared by prior owner could they still be "applied" to the car.

·
Registered
882 Posts

·
Registered
673 Posts
Newbie here with probably dumbest question of the day.

Bought a used R that was stock other than a cold air intake. I notice that the wheels slip a little (newer tires)from hard take offs in sport mode. I don't recall that before in my MK7.

It made me think, could a used car R be tuned still without me knowing it? Would my dealer be able to scan and tell me? OBDeleven?

I do not know much about tunes and was not certain if they are not cleared by prior owner could they still be "applied" to the car.
I'd be more worried about your haldex needing a fluid change if you're having your front tires slipping during hard acceleration. Unless you are having all 4 wheels slipping, then I'd say you need some better tires.

·
Registered
2,855 Posts
Yes it could be tuned, assuming the tires aren't bald/crappy + bad weather. Or like scmarchy said it could also be dead haldex (ie youre driving in FWD mode). Easiest giveaway if its DSG is it saying D1/D2/D3 and S1/S2/S3 showing you what gear its in in auto mode.

Check if there's an aftermarket downpipe in which case its a stage 2 tune (if no CEL is on). Stage 1 tune is harder to tell. Easiest is to email your VIN to the big tuning companies and ask if its tuned.

Dealership probably won't be much help unless you're having a problem, and OBDEleven/VCDS won't tell you.

·
Registered
2018 MK7.5 Golf R (DCC, NAV)
60 Posts
As Ecsta said, email your vin to the more popular tuners. The Dealership "could" scan for any reflashes/coders but they'll probably only do that for a fee and to tell you that you screwed your warranty. I bought mine 2nd hand "as stock" from Carmax but found the turbo inlet pipe had been upgraded once I bothered to look closer. no company had a record of it being tuned though so I started saving lol. If you're losing traction and the road conditions are good, I'd be looking at tires and the Haldex too. I can launch mine pretty hard on slick roads and only get a little slip from the front before you can feel the rears kick in

·
Registered
176 Posts
when I shift into Sport mode I see S1,S2, S3 etc in the display. After market cold air intake.
When the display shows the gears in the display it means the TCU has been tuned which most likely means the ECU also has been tuned.

Whose tune in it is hard to say, it is probably Cobb Acessport based as I don't believe VIN is saved to the tuners server.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Could have been using a JB4 in conjunction with a TCU tune though, right? Remove the JB4 and leave the TCU then use the JB4 on another car?
That is a possibility. Seems like most running a JB4 are usually concerned with warranty issues and don't mess with the TCU.

Also possible that the TCU only may have been tuned. Most likely scenario though is both ECU and TCU were/are tuned.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Sorry to hijack, but are there any tell tale signs of a Cobb Accessport tune being on an M6 car? I recently purchased a 2016 and it's definitely had an access port installed. I found the cable rummaging around in the car, but I'm unsure if it's still tuned or if it's been reverted to stock.

The car appears to be stock power-wise aside from a catless DP (which I want to get rid of soon and go back to stock DP). The resonator has been deleted also, but I know that's not a power adder. It does throw an o2 sensor code for bank 2, which leads me to believe it may have been reverted back to stock, but I don't know what the AP does for o2 codes with a downpipe.

Car seems to pull pretty hard, but my comparison meter isn't calibrated since I sold my last fast car (Focus RS) a few years ago.

Thanks.

·
Registered
673 Posts
Sorry to hijack, but are there any tell tale signs of a Cobb Accessport tune being on an M6 car? I recently purchased a 2016 and it's definitely had an access port installed. I found the cable rummaging around in the car, but I'm unsure if it's still tuned or if it's been reverted to stock.

The car appears to be stock power-wise aside from a catless DP (which I want to get rid of soon and go back to stock DP). The resonator has been deleted also, but I know that's not a power adder. It does throw an o2 sensor code for bank 2, which leads me to believe it may have been reverted back to stock, but I don't know what the AP does for o2 codes with a downpipe.

Car seems to pull pretty hard, but my comparison meter isn't calibrated since I sold my last fast car (Focus RS) a few years ago.

Thanks.
did you purchase from a dealer or from a private sale? if its from a dealer and the AP wasn't in the car, then I'd bet that the previous owner un-married the AP to sell it which means your ecu is on the stock map. The AP can disable the O2 readiness which cause the cell, though with the EPA crackdown lately, a lot of tuners won't do that anymore.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts