VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Banned
19,340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just like the subject says....what one do you think is better? I don't know what to do. I do know that you can burn your paint if you use an orbital polisher...but you won't get a good polish and such if you do it by hand. What to do...what to do???

·
Registered
3,630 Posts
Re: Orbital Polisher VS. Hand Polishing (user name unknown)

If your worried about it, polish by hand. As long as you don't really press down to hard and keep going over the same spot, you should be fine with the orbital. Use it once and you'll never go back to hand polishing again. The look is awesome!

·
Registered
484 Posts

I used an orbital over the weekend and it looks pretty good.
I’m pretty lazy, if an orbital waxer helps get it done, then use it. it’s better than no wax at all. Isn’t it?

·
Registered
5,718 Posts
Re: Orbital Polisher VS. Hand Polishing (Clean97GTi)

quote:[HR][/HR]If your worried about it, polish by hand. As long as you don't really press down to hard and keep going over the same spot, you should be fine with the orbital. Use it once and you'll never go back to hand polishing again. The look is awesome![HR][/HR]​
Exactly. My car still looks awesome 2 weeks (and a lot of rain) after my bf buffed it out for me. It's sitting out in the rain right now
, but at least its beading like a mofo.

·
Registered
7,911 Posts
Re: Orbital Polisher VS. Hand Polishing (steez)

when using an orbital polisher make sure you are using the right chemicals and products for your application. on my beater car (non-vw) i tried using a rotary buffer with a heavy cut cleaner. the stuff had something to the effect of sand in it. and after i got the hood to look nice i burnt a hole down to the primer on the fender. o-well, no biggie. on my black dub i only use hand. i dont want to put swirl marks in there when im trying to get it out. i know it wont happen if you do it right but i dont want to risk it as i think using an orbital polisher makes things more permanent.

·
Registered
734 Posts
Re: Orbital Polisher VS. Hand Polishing (jettaivglxvr6)

jetta before you give your 2 cents get your facts down. We are talking about random orbit polishers such as the Porter Cable with the ability to control the speed of the buffer. It generates little to NO heat and is virtually impossible to burn the paint in any way. The only damage you can do is if there is grit/rocks in the foam pad and you buff that on to your paint. Once again no professional wax tools or equipment needed. Blitz wax from online and 3M Swirld remover from pepboys and some pads! Its people like you that give the porter cable a bad name

·
Banned
19,340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Re: Orbital Polisher VS. Hand Polishing (jettaivglxvr6)

quote:[HR][/HR]when using an orbital polisher make sure you are using the right chemicals and products for your application. on my beater car (non-vw) i tried using a rotary buffer with a heavy cut cleaner. the stuff had something to the effect of sand in it. and after i got the hood to look nice i burnt a hole down to the primer on the fender. o-well, no biggie. on my black dub i only use hand. i dont want to put swirl marks in there when im trying to get it out. i know it wont happen if you do it right but i dont want to risk it as i think using an orbital polisher makes things more permanent.[HR][/HR]​
1. You used a rotary buffer...big no no. Rotary buffers produce tons of heat. While a orbital buffer produced little to no heat.
2. You used a "heavy cut cleaner". Heavy cut cleaners are the most abbrassive cleaner you can get for your paint...and yes...it is like using 1600 grit sand paper on your paint.
3. Like pedro_sport said...made sure your car is CLEAN. You don't want a little piece of sand to get under that buffer pad...or else you will have to be getting that heavy cut cleaner for sure...

·
Registered
226 Posts

put too much pressure on that p.c. and you will have webs that will be a real p.i.a. to remove. this is my only major complaint with the p.c. i am used to the rotary buffer and the 11 inch orbitals. the p/c fills a "niche" i guess and still comes in handy for me. damn those 10.00 foam pads! http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
462 Posts

quote:[HR][/HR]I am going to get the Porter-Cable 6" Random Orbit Polisher. They are going for $115.00 on http://www.coastaltools.com [HR][/HR]​
$102.50 shipped from International Tools. Same model, except the 7336 comes with a seperate sander pad & sandpaper in addtion to the buffer pad. Got mine last week and works great.
http://www.internationaltool.com/pcrtrosander.htm#7336sp

·
Registered
9,189 Posts

The reason that the rotary buffer (direct drive) produces so much heat is because the pad or bonnet that is used spins at a high rate of speed over and over on the same spot on the paint causing friction and thus the resulting heat. The PC Random Orbital machine does not have a motion like this. It is more of a wobble and spin motion. Using the correct pads, chemicals, and machine will result in a liquid looking finish. Check out www.griotsgarage.com for everything you need.

Results of using the PC machine and the correct products.

·
Banned
2,302 Posts
Re: Orbital Polisher VS. Hand Polishing (1a3trek)

Orbit kicks ass.. there really isn't anyone that can match its speed and results by hand.. Why do you think pro detailers use them?
Anyway, I'll just prove my point with a picture.. This is a 95 mind you..

·
Registered
6,303 Posts
Re: Orbital Polisher VS. Hand Polishing (Dr. Blingonian)

actually most "pro"detailers use the straight rotary buffers rather than the random orbital buffers.
the reason being that the heat that you guys say is bad is actually good for bringing out all the crap in the paint and smoothes out the paint much faster than an orbital, controlling the heat is the trick.
random orbital buffers are easy to use and make it much harder to burn the paint but IMO you can get better results with a rotary if you know what you're doing.

·
Banned
19,340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Re: Orbital Polisher VS. Hand Polishing (MikeBlaze)

All in all, doing it by hand....you will never get as good results if you use a rotary or orbital buffer.

·
Registered
6,303 Posts

Hand polishing is best saved for paint in good condition to start with. Which i'm sure most of you have since we all care about our cars in here. However paint that is oxidized or has alot of embedded dirt or stains would come out looking better buffed using a rotary buffer with the appropriate pads and products,than from hand polishing.
Buffers are primarily a time saving toll, especially when used on newer cars with nice paint, but there is no replacement for a buffer on paint that has been neglected. Unless you can find a way to make circles with your hand in excess of 3,000 rpm's, now that'd be something.

·
Registered
9,424 Posts
Re: Orbital Polisher VS. Hand Polishing (MikeBlaze)

I do a mix of hand and random orbit polishing. I apply cleaner wax by hand and remove it with a terrycloth bonnet on the random orbit, and touch up by hand polishing anything in the cracks that I can't get at with the orbital. The Klasse AIO goes on and comes off by hand, with a quick buff with a sheepskin bonnet on the orbital. The last step Klasse SG goes on and comes off by hand, but I buff several times with the sheepskin bonnnet. I find that the random orbital is great for large flat areas, but nothing will beat hand polishing for smaller body details, around windows, etc.

·
Registered
3,457 Posts
Re: Orbital Polisher VS. Hand Polishing (ph7)

quote:[HR][/HR]I am going to get the Porter-Cable 6" Random Orbit Polisher. They are going for $115.00 on http://www.coastaltools.com
$102.50 shipped from International Tools. Same model, except the 7336 comes with a seperate sander pad & sandpaper in addtion to the buffer pad. Got mine last week and works great.
http://www.internationaltool.com/pcrtrosander.htm#7336sp [HR][/HR]​

what backing does this buffer have? is it the rubber one with holes in it or is it plastic?

·
Registered
29,721 Posts
Re: Orbital Polisher VS. Hand Polishing (gti1497)

Im usin hands to remove the cleaners, and orbiter to apply em =D

1 - 20 of 24 Posts