VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i live in portland and drove up to seattle to buy a nice portfolio at paper haus. anyways, i flipped my oregon id to the cashier and i didnt have to pay the washinton sales tax. well on my way back home i got hit from behind and thus hit the car infront of me. so now my mk3 jetta is totaled. and now its sunday and im looking for a new car, and it i thought that maybe cars might be cheaper in washington for an oregonian because we dont have to pay the sales tax. anyone know anything about this? does that rule apply to big ticket items like cars? are cars any cheaper in washington? is there anything weird i would have to do if i bought a car from washington and have it registered in oregon?
thanks vortex!

·
Banned
6,742 Posts
Re: oregon - washington / sales tax question... (FATstevie)

Me guesses that you'll get hit with it when you go back home to OR to register your new ride.

·
Registered
10,053 Posts

Some (possibly most or even ALL) dealers in Vancouver offers no sales tax incentives to Oregon buyers. No big deal.

·
Registered
946 Posts

All dealers told me that with my OR ID I could get tax free and just a temp license... then in OR I could get my perm license. Sorry about your car but PAPER HAUS rules... I love that place.

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
Re: oregon - washington / sales tax question... (ninaf)

You are completely right, you can purchase a car in Washington, and then take it to Oregon to register without paying Washington sales tax. I don't know about the cars being much cheaper up here though. The state gets the tax, not the dealers. So even though they may have to collect 8.9% more, they don't see any of it. So my guess is that the cars will be about the same price as down there.

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
Re: oregon - washington / sales tax question... (TDI Ed Lover)

We have bought both of our VWs at Hannah in Vancouver, NO sales tax.
They were also superior to other local dealers. I recommend them...Good luck.

·
Registered
7,276 Posts
Re: oregon - washington / sales tax question... (2002turboS)

AS long as you are an OR resident you don't pay sales tax in WA state...remember to bring your ID and voter reg. card or fishing license or some form of ID to back up that you LIVE in OR...you can't live in WA and have a OR drivers license and get away with no sales tax with dealers anymore... the state is cracking down on it very hard and charging back the dealers that do not have 2 pieces of ID and an affidavit form signed

·
Banned
26,608 Posts

I bought both my passats in Washington. No sales tax on either.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Re: oregon - washington / sales tax question... (Salty D)

cool! thanks for all the info! im going to have to really start checking out dealerships in washington and see what happens...
so far, ive heard Dick Hannah VW, any other good vw/ audi dealerships in washington i should consider?
so far im thinkin: late 90's a4 avant Q, e36 M3, and .... humm.... any more ideas?
trying to stay around $15-$20k... keepin it euro, no fwd... as low as possible miles... those are my only criteria at this point.
ahh, thanks Vortex!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts