VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
  • Mwerks and Fourtitude have rejoined VWVortex. For more info, see this thread.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2,230 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,
I have a PowerBook G3 (bought it right before the Ti became available--d'oh!) running 9.0.4. I tried 9.1 but my Airport wouldn't work with it so I stopped using it.
My question is: Can I upgrade directly to OSX without wiping my drive? There are a lot of files on my HD I'd like to keep but I don't have access to removable media.
If I have to have removable media, which method would be most cost effective? CD-RW? Jaz?
And finally, for those of you running OSX... is it worth upgrading to? I'm looking for a system that is more stable than my 9.0.4 and quicker.
Thanks!
VWNewbie

·
Registered
246 Posts
Re: OSX Questions (VWnewbie)

i bought my TiBook for the express purpose of running OS 10, and i've been using it since the public beta.
i fully support your upgrade, but you need:
a) as much RAM as possible, i have 256 and X pages like lunatic... so >256 is better
b) to know that you'll need to run classic sometimes... since a number of key apps are still coming...
as a unix geek for most of my life i really appreciate OS 10. top notch GUI and *bsd underneath... nothing better as far as i'm concerned...
note that i'm a developer not a graphic artist, game player or paper-pusher, other than appleworks, i only have dev tools...

EDIT: oh ya... burn some CDs... dirt cheap and durable (in relative terms)
EDIT2: stability is not an issue... i've had 3 lock ups since i moved to the official OS 10 release... none since 10.1 and 10.1.1

[Modified by not_a_fan, 8:04 AM 11-27-2001]

·
Registered
2,937 Posts
Re: OSX Questions (not_a_fan)

If you would upgrade to 9.2 you should be able .to install 10.1 on top of that without wiping your data

1 - 3 of 3 Posts