VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
5,253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
just going through upgrading now from Vista Premium to Windows 7 Ultimate - smooth sailing at this moment and not very painful so far...

·
Registered
3,764 Posts
I'm not so sure I like the Dock, is very Mac like, perhaps when more apps support the features it supports it'll grow on me, but I can see issues when I have lots of apps running or pinned.
I do have an issue w/ the NIC every boot I have to "repair" connection as for some reason it just won't get an IP. Could be nVidia network card drivers or something alltogether more fun, perhaps the itty bitty switchy it don't like. My Mac is my main machine and I expect 10.6 will be a smoother transition next month, not to mention a much better price
(Assuming retail prices on both...)

·
Registered
627 Posts
Re: (malliemcg)

It's already more stable than Vista but a tad less than XP, so unless you have downgrade rights...

·
Registered
5,253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Re: (yawno)

so far my sound card don't work very well (not at all actually)... better check creative labs for any updates...

·
Registered
993 C2, MK4 GTI, MK7.5 R
8,075 Posts
FV-QR

Tried it, but wasn't that impressed. Had to manually download drivers for video (7950GTX - so not uncommon) and a couple of other devices.
Not a fan of the dock and some of the control panel settings are overly simplified.
On the plus side, it installed in <20 minutes. It loads quickly too.
I've gone back to vista ultimate 64.

·
Registered
5,253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Re: FV-QR (YellowDieselGolf)

yeah i get this flicker every 30 seconds or so on my screen, just downloading the latest nvidia driver now...

·
Registered
433 Posts
Remember guys - unless you have access to something you shouldn't have, you are running a release candidate, not "gold" code.
RTM is faster, (even) more stable and addresses most (if not all) of the issues above.

·
Registered
5,253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Re: (Panman)

rtm is already released to msdn...

·
Registered
3,764 Posts

Quote, originally posted by Panman »
Remember guys - unless you have access to something you shouldn't have, you are running a release candidate, not "gold" code.
RTM is faster, (even) more stable and addresses most (if not all) of the issues above.

RTM is on TechNet and MSDN which any old monkey can go and pay for. Hell Microsoft are pretty much encouraging people to do this, a non tech mate of mine signed up to TechNet w/ a 40% off token.

·
Registered
4,315 Posts

Quote, originally posted by Panman »

With the amount of janitors here I'm pretty sure everyone has there RTM from MSDN or Technet. Formatted my WIN7 RC partition and installed it on that. I hated Vista, and I still hate the interface in 7 but it is much better then Vista. I also started using the MCE on it and that works well with my dual tuners.
Those that still want XP, can download the XP virtual machine to run within W7. For simple apps that wont run in W7 it's pretty good.

·
Registered
1,701 Posts
Re: (FL00DY)

I have gone straight from XP to Win7 and avoided Vista - yes, was seen as a 'heretic' in this family seeing as my significant other works for Uncle Bill
But my motto, as some of yours is "if it ain't broke, don't fix it".
Since I have a new Studio XPS it made sense to start out with Win7 and I have been very impressed at it's stability. Yes, it takes a little getting used to, but so does a new computer, so figured I'd get the learning curve over and done with in one hit.
For those who have had a nasty experience with Vista, don't be put off, give Win7 a try and I think you'll be pleasantly surprised. I guess if you haven't updated your computer or software for a while though, it might be better to stick with what you are using at the moment. Everyone's mileage will vary.

·
Registered
5,253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Re: FV-QR (GizmoGTI)

Quote, originally posted by GizmoGTI »
yeah i get this flicker every 30 seconds or so on my screen, just downloading the latest nvidia driver now...

got it all happening now, did a clean install, downloaded the vista drivers for graphics, and tv tuner and all works perfect now - this thing runs sooooo much quicker than vista - touchscreen stuff is a dream too!!!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.