VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· Registered
1,670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know there are a few tech savvy dudes on here, so ...

Has anyone had an LCD panel replaced on their laptops? I have an HP laptop which is a few years old. It's nothing fancy but is a good size and has been extremely reliable. It has developed a consistent white vertical stripe (about 2 cms wide) on the LCD panel. With the price of laptops I'm tempted to just ditch it and buy a new one. The only reason I'd consider trying to save it, is that I've also got a docking station for it. Attached to the docking station is the printer, label printer, Tom Tom etc and they don't seem to do docking station laptops anymore (guy in JB Hi-Fi didn't even know what one was). So (with the expectation of witty comments and strange pictures as replies) I wondered whether ...

1) anyone has had a panel replaced and if so is it a straight forward DIY job or technician only?
2) is the guy in JB a dufus and docking station laptops can be had and I can buy a suitable new laptop?
3) none of the above and the real answer is ...?

thanks in advance

· Registered
432 Posts
I

1) anyone has had a panel replaced and if so is it a straight forward DIY job or technician only?
2) is the guy in JB a dufus and docking station laptops can be had and I can buy a suitable new laptop?
3) none of the above and the real answer is ...?

thanks in advance
1) It's a relatively straightforward job, however a tech should do it. The big issue will be the cost of the panel from HP as the machine is a couple of years old, unfortunately the parts will still be costed at the original buy in price (so whatever an LCD panel cost when your machine was new, + manufacturer "Tax") which is usually horrendous - like building a car out of spare parts.

2) Yes he is a dufus. Try a reseller not a retailer, JB sell retail models which generally don't have docking options. Try Harris Tech or one of the larger SMB laptop retailers. Acer, HP, Asus and Toshiba all have docking options for their business focussed machines.

3) Option 2, you will get raped over the price of an LCD screen (even as a part without labour) unless you can find one somewhere like fleabay which I wouldn't recommend.

· Registered
2,019 Posts
I have heard a lot of reports on warranty problems with HP. You have to argue with Indians! A friend bought a laptop two weeks ago and it hasn't worked since new. It just keeps rebooting, shutting down then rebooting. The Indians keep saying if you reboot it then it will be OK.:thumbdown:

It's a shame, HP make good stuff.

· Registered
993 C2, MK4 GTI, MK7.5 R
8,216 Posts
I log one or two jobs a week through HP. They can be a bit frustrating at times, but if you jump through their hoops - they send the parts quickly.

They must have a set script of "fixes" for every job, so often they'll insist you do irrelevant things before accepting our diagnosis.

"Hi, we have a failed hard disk in a HP Laptop. It's making clunking noises."
"Have you restarted the computer? Reflashed the BIOS?"
"ugh, no but it fails the diagnostic tests."

· Registered
694 Posts
Even if you're doing a complete swap, you'll at least need a technician's manual to show you what needs to be hooked up where. Probably easier just getting a tech to do it. I had to get a replacement LCD on a Toshiba laptop a little while back (I cracked the screen) and that was $800.

I know the apple LCD's are around $1300 just for the LCD, if you need the casing it's another few hundred.

Might be worth getting a new laptop instead?

· Registered
20,865 Posts
I think maybe you need to find the right kind of guy to do the replacement.

Up here, the internal (in company) cost to have a thinkpad screen officially replaced was over $1000

Carrying the laptop down to Sim Lim Square to an independent laptop tech saw the screen replaced for a little over $200 (parts and labour)

I know finding an equivalent to Sim Lim Square in Aus is a little difficult, but a local weekend computer market could be a good place to start.

· Registered
2,891 Posts
OT: but I got Sim Lim Square and Sim Lim Tower mixed up when I was over there.... couldn't quite work out what all the fuss was as we went up a tower full of dodgy audio and PA gear, with Ruth getting slightly worried about the dodginess of the place. Then we looked up the street and saw the other building, went in and found an only slightly less dodgy place full of computer and camera gear :)

· Registered
20,865 Posts
Nice pic, but I'd actually say that Sim Lim Tower is less dodgy than the square - at least SLT retailers can be trusted. Most of the guys on the first two floors of SLS are a bunch of thieving lying c*nts and will do anything to rip off a white guy like you or me. It makes me really angry.

One guy tried to charge me 10% "electronic sales tax" when I bought my XBOX. And when I told the sales guy that I thought that was wrong and illegal, the Indian manager was like "oh I'll see what I can do to reduce it" like he was doing me a favour. :mad:

I ****ing hate the place and only buy there if I can't get what I want at Funan.

Best of all, Sim Lim Square even has hookers loitering around the mall looking for business from tourists :laugh:

· Registered
1,670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
What's the model number of the laptop and do you have a part number for the LCD?
G'Day Flaps,

The laptop is a nx6320 and LCD panel ... no idea ... there appears to be several possibles (based on the HP website).

Looking at prices of LCDs ... the fact I'm a techno w*nker ... and I don't know any techies ... I suspect that the best bet would be to try and find a laptop that is compatible with the docking station I have.

Thanks for the sensible and constructive advice everyone ... appreciated.

Regards

Shaun

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.