VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I had my jetta in at a local chain car audio giant for tweaking the radio they installed, I trustingly handed the keys to the young audio sales tech, and seconds after he started my car up and attempted to drive forward, I hear a "grrrrrrrriiiiiinnnnnnddddd!" It was much longer than the typical driver/owner grind that occurs when you get a bit hasty about letting out the pedal before the shifter knob is in place. It may have been as long as 1-2 seconds, although it felt like an eternity. My gut wrenched up, but knowing he was already probably embarrassed, I decided to be nice and not to rub it in and show my anger for something that he couldn't go back and change.
Anyway, it's still bugging me late at night, and I am wondering whether that kinda thing is likely to have caused damage, or do you think no real harm was done?

·
Registered
5,140 Posts
Re: Ouch! Gear Grind! How tough are these gears? (Dude Wheres My Jetta)

Grinding those gears won't do much. They are a hard gear...I can't say the same for reverse as it is a soft gear. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Re: Ouch! Gear Grind! How tough are these gears? (Dude Wheres My Jetta)

Don't wanna mention names for fear of bad blood - let's just say, from now on, I get to drive my own car in and out of the service bay...
Oh, and don't get me started on Discount Tires - they always ask for your keys, but those guys do NOT wash their greasy hands before they get in your car...I have long since refused giving them my keys.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Re: Ouch! Gear Grind! How tough are these gears? (Towlie)

Another good reason to have a towel on hand.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Re: Ouch! Gear Grind! How tough are these gears? (Nessal)

Quote, originally posted by Nessal »
Grinding those gears won't do much. They are a hard gear...I can't say the same for reverse as it is a soft gear. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

technically, you aren't grinding the teeth on the gears, the gears are always meshed with the layshaft, you are grinding the collar that engages that particular gear to the shaft that goes into the differential. if the teeth on the gears have damage, it's most likely due to a piece of metal flying around inside the tranny and getting caught in the teeth.
ok, i'll shut up now

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Re: Ouch! Gear Grind! How tough are these gears? (airyk)

So do you think the shaft got F*** up?

·
Registered
3,315 Posts

Youre not grinding gears, you're grinding Synchros.

·
Registered
1,914 Posts
Re: Ouch! Gear Grind! How tough are these gears? (kaljer)

Synchros are soft, reverse is hard (no synchro). Nothings probably hurt.

·
Registered
969 Posts

When people say "gear grind" they actually mean the collar. On the collar there are what is called dog teeth, so when you hear that lovely sound its because those teeth are not going in smoothly.

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
Re: Ouch! Gear Grind! How tough are these gears? (banggooooo)

Well I'm opening this topic up again..
I'm getting a lot of 2nd gear grind lately. I've been driving a little harder than usual, but it seems like its getting worse too. I drive an 03 GTI 1.8t 5spd with 5k miles on it.
I want to have my transmission looked at, but as the car is totally drivable and I'm very busy right now, it has to wait. I've probably hit the 2nd gear grind about a dozen times so far. Its not a big grind, just a quick grind going from first to second.
Anyone know how much damage this is causing or has caused? Something I should really worry about? I plan to baby the transmission for awhile, if I never get the grind again should I just let it go, or is there damage done worth taking it in and causing an inconvenience for me. If the tranny is still 99.9% healthy, I'm happy.
This thread has given some information but not quite enough!

·
Registered
817 Posts
Re: Ouch! Gear Grind! How tough are these gears? (LeChefJosh)

I have a GTI 24v and I have never had any gear grind ( in 10,000 miles
). I also always push the clutch to the floor, its just a habit.

Modified by muffinman at 3:25 PM 8-5-2003

Modified by muffinman at 3:26 PM 8-5-2003

1 - 12 of 12 Posts