VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
2022 Hyundai Tucson Hybrid Blue, 2013 Infiniti G37x Coupe
22,393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Might be coming up on my last shot at considering these (if I'm ever going to).

What are the pitfalls of the pre-refresh DSG-equipped models?

Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Grille

·
Registered
2007 B6 Passat VR6 4Motion sedan
1,829 Posts
Find one with low mileage, if you can, and get an extended warranty to deal with the water pump that's going to fail a couple times on ya.

·
Registered
180 Posts
I have a 2015 DSG PP Autobahn from new and have yet to experience any real issues, other than having to deal with the tiny infotainment screen.

I do want to know what version turbo mine has, but I still don't know exactly where to look despite doing a bit of internet research.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Owned a 2016 GTI S and now a 2019 SE with experience package (adaptive dampers/Fender sound). Both 6MT.

In 60k miles with the 2016: suction pump was recalled, CD player died (the only time I tried it out!), power lock actuator failed, driver door window module had a mind of its own, and water pump/t-stat leaked. Everything was covered under warranty but I wasn't eager to own it past that.

The 2019 has been better, but it's only at 14k miles. It's had a couple recalls for ECM reflashes (there's a soft stalling issue on the 6MTs only) and two grab handles lost their springs. One of my motivations for buying a '19 was the 6yr/72k warranty but it really does seem more solid than the 2016. I am still expecting the thermostat housing to fail.

To my knowledge, the turbos were only an issue on the early 2015s. But I haven't looked into it that much. 2016+ got Carplay and much better infotainment anyway (MIB II) along with standard reversing camera, so I would avoid the 15s in general. I highly recommend the Lighting package and hated the halogens on my 2016.

Overall, they are good cars and offer a great balance of performance, economy, and practicality.

·
Registered
2015 VW GTI, 2021 BMW X5,
1,729 Posts
Warranty on my GTI expired almost 4 yrs ago, haven’t had really any breakdowns in almost 7 yrs of ownership (still on original water pump). Water pump and thermostat housing leaking are known problems, other than that, those are pretty solid cars (for a VW at least). Some real early models had turbo issues, but cars built in second half of 2015 onward have the revised turbos. If you can do it, go for a 2016+ model with MIB2 infotainment system that has Apple CarPlay and AA.

·
Registered
1,404 Posts
We've had MK7 VW Golfs since they first came out when we bought a 2015 1.8L 5MT model. That car was faultless, zero issues in 6 years. Our 2018 Alltrack was problematic with leaking panaramic sunroof and fried 6 speed manual gearbox. 2019 Golf R has been faultless in 2 years. 2021 Golf 1.4T had a leaking sunroof shortly after buying it.

Trouble points are known on these cars and durability is good. I wouldn't hesitate to buy another MK7... provided it was a slicktop. :)

·
Registered
167 Posts
We have a 2017 GTI SE DSG with 54k on it. We had one random, unexplained instance of low coolant around 30k (no drips, added coolant and never had a problem again), and the gas door cover fell off randomly about a year ago. It's had nothing but regular/scheduled maintenance and the 40k DSG service.

This is our third Mk7 (one lemoned 2015 TDI with 6k, one diesel-gated 2015 TDI with 45kish, and the GTI), and largely, we haven't had the usual VW gremlins.

·
Registered
7,267 Posts
I had a leak in my hatch. It was simple enough to fix myself.
If you replaced your door speakers, be sure they are properly resealed. Otherwise, it'll be another place for water to ingress.

·
Registered
10,283 Posts
Had my mk7 since 9 miles. After 60k and 4 years it's only had 3 issues, a random misfire (replaced plugs at 30k), a occasional belt squeak when cold at Idle, and a coolant drip from thermostat just before 60k. Been jb4 for most of its life but recently took it off as i was afraid clutch started slipping which is pretty much the only major service I'm scared off at this point. Everything has been super solid, great daily that's been fun in the mountains and on track but has the creature comforts and dependability I need. It's made searching for a replacement very difficult as I now have high expectations to what could be better.

·
Registered
2022 Hyundai Tucson Hybrid Blue, 2013 Infiniti G37x Coupe
22,393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I think it's been said that the Mk7.5 interior was cheapened compared to the Mk7. Any truth to this?

I thought it might be worth saving and holding out for the 18/19 7.5 which you can still get under the 6/72k factory warranty if I should buy a warranty for the Mk7s anyway.

·
Registered
3,050 Posts
That and the water pumps. I swear my Dub was the only car I’ve owned that had a water pump fail.
Ferddddd 1.6 ecoboost and 2.0 ecoboost has entered the chat.

To the OP buy the car you want that you like the most. Just make sure if it's german it has a warranty - either oem cpo warranty or something aftermarket that is good. Make sure you read the contract / policy of said extended warranty.

My personal opinion is stay away from vw - if you want something similar but with way less issues - may i suggest a 10th gen civic si -

Or even better (if you want luxury, room over sporty handling) a 10th gen accord 2.0t with manual trans.

Good luck !

·
Registered
1,404 Posts
I think it's been said that the Mk7.5 interior was cheapened compared to the Mk7. Any truth to this?
We've owned MK7 and MK7.5 Golfs, the only difference I've noticed is that the 7.5 ditched the CD player in the glove box and the storage bin under the drivers seat. Neither of which we ever used.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts