VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 118 Posts

·
Registered
6,549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I grew up in the deep suburbs of the Northeast, and one familiar sight when meandering through the countryside was old, rusty, abandoned vehicles. Whether it was the family car set out behind the barn, or the old farm truck watching over a fallow field, it seemed most of the farms I used to ride my bike past had at least one formerly-loved vehicle sitting in oxidizing repose somewhere.
So now that I'm living in the city, the only way I can see beautiful decrepitness of an automotive nature is by changing my wallpaper on my computer. This is what I've had for the last year:

Found it here on TCL, as part of an album from a Russian site called netwind.ru, and I love it. But I need something different.
So, show us what cha got in the way of rusty, crusty, relics photographed in their final resting place!

·
Registered
10,734 Posts
Re: (ZoomBy)

Quote, originally posted by ZoomBy »
this thread has epic potential.

·
Get Off My Lawn!!!
25,202 Posts
Re: Out to Pasture: Photos of cars in their final destination (Wellington P Funk)

A quick scan of google turned up this old Dodge warhorse. If it could, it would tell some interesting stories of its travels, I'm sure. Cars like this, that were put out to pasture, as you say, were usually something "special" to someone, who preferred to put them aside rather than just trade them in and forget about them. Some people look at such cars and see neglect, but I like to think that they are treasured by someone, and are serving as a kind of life milepost in their decaying state. A reminder and a remembrance.
My late father, way back around 1975 or so, decided to "retire" his long-serving "go to work car" that he drove to his steelmill job for many years. It was a 1949 Chevrolet coupe that I essentially grew up around; it was always there in my life until then. I learned to drive a stickshift in that Chevy. It got REALLY rusty from all those years of slogging through the salt-crusted roads of NW Indiana, and sitting in the mill-dust up at Indiana Harbor didn't help it either, but it was still running well when my dad decided to drive it from our house in the southeast Chicago 'burbs to his brother's farm in Kentland, Indiana to "put 'er out to pasture", which was the way he actually put it at the time. When we got there, my uncle told me to drive it around behind his machine shed (what farmers called the open-sided building where they kept their tractors, combines, and other machinery). We left that old blue Chevy there that day, 34 years ago.
It's still sitting there today. My cousin now operates his dad's farm, and he has seen no reason to move it from its resting place. I'd love to go back someday and take some photographs of it. He says it's still "all there, but pretty rusty". It'd be fun to pry the door open, and sit inside on the cloth seats just one more time, and "run her through the gears" for old time's sake.

Modified by vwlarry at 4:56 PM 10-6-2009

·
Registered
10,734 Posts
Re: Out to Pasture: Photos of cars in their final destination (Wellington P Funk)

Quote, originally posted by SlowMyke »
hope more quality posts get in here before this gets too mucked up.

Quote, originally posted by Wellington P Funk »
So, show us what cha got in the way of rusty, crusty, relics photographed in their final resting place!

·
Registered
4,333 Posts
Re: (pfunkn87)

one internet to the person who can name this car and the circumstances under which it arrived at its final destination:

Modified by HarryHood at 5:47 PM 10-6-2009

1 - 20 of 118 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.