VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Today I washed my car for the first time in about a month. It is the rainy season here, so no use washing it weekly.

I noticed I have 10-13 small rock chips on the front bumper. They are insanely noticeable because under the Red paint is a white plastic.

I cannot believe a car with 3300 KM's (2000 miles) can have so many chips in the front bumper. I wouldn't even expect this much chipping in a car with 10times as many miles, or more.

I bought my car in late September, and it has never been driven in the snow/salt/sanded roads.
I have also noticed small scratches elsewhere in the paint.

The one that baffled me the most is a scratch on the driver door handle.

The car has Kessy, and i do not wear rings. I am the only one that enters my drivers door.

I will be letting VW Canada know what I think of their lack of paint tomorrow, then respraying the front bumper and getting a clear bra.

Has anyone else noticed p!ss poor paint quality on their brand new car?

I will try to post pics tomorrow.

·
Registered
552 Posts
You're not the only one... I'm not one to follow close, but about 4-5 cars behind on the freeway. I just hit 2400 miles, and have had my car almost a month and i have about a dozen between the bumper and middle of my hood.... I don't blame VW exactly but the crap paint to be more enviormentally friendly... no where near as durable... I'm going into talk to my dealer this week or next it's pathetic

·
Registered
517 Posts
It's sad bc every car maker is like that now... I had a 2011 MB GLK350 and the paint was no better... The best paint quality car I had was my 03 BMW x5... Since then nothing really seems to be comparable... It's sad...MY gli has a ton of
Fine scratches as well... Don't know where they came from...

·
Banned
1,913 Posts
Another victim here... Tons of chips and **** with barely 10K miles.

Had my car repainted and refinished though with a -tough- grade on the front end after my accident a month or two back. No issues, now.

·
Registered
678 Posts
Thank god im not alone.

2012 TR Gli

6800 miles and have had it 6 months.

Bumper: fine
hood 2-3 dings right through paint
driver door stone chip through paint and scratch

Every time i wash my car i cringe waiting to find something else

Previous cars
2007 wrangler 88000 miles driven (also on beaches)cant remember one scratch
2003 audi a4 1-2 dinga but they NEVER went through every layer as jetta does

Going mad. As another poster said these chips expose white paint and are insanely noticeable. I drive ultra aware now and alwas worried everytime im near a truck or dirt road

·
Registered
403 Posts
reflex silver few chips on my hood lots on my bumper and even a couple on my door from rocks, oh well i used to freak out about it but theyre really not that noticeable, once i go to a gli front bumper ill just get a clear bra for it (already have one for most of my hood)

·
Registered
91 Posts
I have one rock chip on the hood of my Plat. Grey Jetta. perhaps it's something with the color red because where I live they use gravel to sand the roads. I'm actually surprised how well the front end has held up.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Been getting my car hand washed every week since I got it, and wax with claybar every month or so. Noticing a bunch of rock chips and other cracks that seem to have just come out of nowhere. I thought German paint was supposed to be superior to that found on American made cars, but I had a pontiac g6 before the GLI and must say that I am very dissapointed in the quality of paint on my VW. I would like to complain to my dealer and VWOA but honestly, what are they going to do about it? Repaint my whole car? Kind of fed up with the amount of problems this brand new car has been giving me...should be flawless being that they had over 2 years to redesign the MK6 GLI...:banghead: I have thought about trading the car in, but I dont think I can find another car for 25 grand that has everything the GLI has...

·
Registered
225 Posts
Most of mine are right at the corners of the lower grill, by the fog lights.
Mine are all over the place! A bunch of them just look like stress cracks but i take such good care of her i dunt know what shes stressing about!?!?!:screwy: I will take some pics tmrw...

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I think every car company is using that water based paint ****... Honda is the worse... My mk5 was 100x better then my mk6... It's def annoying and disappointing...
Thats terrible, my old 06 Habanero Pearl Si was nearly un chipable. The colour was so expensive that Honda killed it off after 1.5 years. The did the same with 06-07 Fiji Blue Pearl.

·
Registered
933 Posts
I think every car company is using that water based paint ****... Honda is the worse... My mk5 was 100x better then my mk6... It's def annoying and disappointing...
Really? My MK5 was pretty bad. It was terrible because my car was black. Though I stopped noticing any differences after I got stuck on I-5 driving through Oregon during a snow storm. Buttloads of gravel, and not enough traction to pass the semis throwing that stuff EVERYWHERE. I drove over a hundred miles just listening to the constant rock hits on the hood and on my windshield. Needless to say, my car was peppered with rock chips by the time I made it through to Redding.
:(:facepalm:

From what I understand, it's the waterbased paint that basically all manufacturers use now. When I get my new car the first thing I'm going to do with it is have them put a clear bra on it.

·
Registered
4,184 Posts
It's sad bc every car maker is like that now... I had a 2011 MB GLK350 and the paint was no better... The best paint quality car I had was my 03 BMW x5... Since then nothing really seems to be comparable... It's sad...MY gli has a ton of
Fine scratches as well... Don't know where they came from...
This, x2.

Laws about the environment have forced car paint to become thin and brittle. My uncle has owned Mercedes and BMW cars for decades, but his last two from both brands have had the exact same problem. European manufacturers are hit with even harder regulations, I believe. You can't blame this one on VW. It's a widespread nuisance. If you do much interstate driving, you should look into a clear bra, buy a car that's 8+ years old, or stop complaining... unfortunately there's no way around it.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.