VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The 1.8t engine is capable of over 300 lbs of torque and 250 hp with a price of just over $2000. After research of the best intakes and exhaust systems I saw a intake in the eurotuner magazine that give 227 lbs torque and 197 hp. I was amazed. It cost about $750 though...expensive. At the moment I forgot the name of it. Having that much hp and torque and adding a full exhaust system (w/hiflo cat) That will add another 20-25 lbs of torque and about 10-15 hp giving the car around 240 lbs torque and around 210 hp. Last throw an APR chip in the car and add another 60-70 lbs of torque and 30-40 hp and altogether that should be added up to about 300 lbs/250hp. Putting you in the high 13 sec range for 1/4 mile. Amazing!!
Intake (Ill find out the name) ~750
Exhaust system 400-600
APR chip ~500

·
Registered
413 Posts
Re: Over 300 lbs torque...roughly 250 hp (8urv8)

quote:[HR][/HR]The 1.8t engine is capable of over 300 lbs of torque and 250 hp with a price of just over $2000. After research of the best intakes and exhaust systems I saw a intake in the eurotuner magazine that give 227 lbs torque and 197 hp. I was amazed. It cost about $750 though...expensive. At the moment I forgot the name of it. Having that much hp and torque and adding a full exhaust system (w/hiflo cat) That will add another 20-25 lbs of torque and about 10-15 hp giving the car around 240 lbs torque and around 210 hp. Last throw an APR chip in the car and add another 60-70 lbs of torque and 30-40 hp and altogether that should be added up to about 300 lbs/250hp. Putting you in the high 13 sec range for 1/4 mile. Amazing!!
Exhaust system 400-600
APR chip ~500[HR][/HR]​
Well, I'd sure be interested in an intake like this. But I would've thought that if this much of a performance gain was possible for an intake, someone would've already thought it up. Please try and find out the name of this intake and post it. Thanks.

·
Banned
707 Posts
Re: Over 300 lbs torque...roughly 250 hp (turbotazzy)

It's not that easy + I'd like to see that intake... I don't believe.
Sounds kinda shady to me and an intake for $750???? Something in your story is not credible.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Re: Over 300 lbs torque...roughly 250 hp (atekipp)

It was something like blue rhino, but ill get the details and post it. I picked up the magazine at waterfest.

[Modified by 8urv8, 7:31 PM 8-5-2002]

·
Registered
1,611 Posts

The blue Rhino does say to post numbers like that BUT it is a chip and an intake combination. I looked into it it is not just an intake like you think. For the money you can get a cai and a great chip for that cost with a better gain over all.

·
Banned
707 Posts
Re: Over 300 lbs torque...roughly 250 hp (fire337)

quote:[HR][/HR]The blue Rhino does say to post numbers like that BUT it is a chip and an intake combination. I looked into it it is not just an intake like you think. For the money you can get a cai and a great chip for that cost with a better gain over all.[HR][/HR]​
now that sounds better, but Blue Rhino... who the hell are they? You can get a brand name intake for $200 or less and a brand name chip for $400 totalling 600. Why spend another 200+ on a company that sounds like they should be manufacturing heavy duty vaccum cleaners.

[Modified by wob337, 2:51 PM 8-5-2002]

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
Re: Over 300 lbs torque...roughly 250 hp (wob337)

Not possible with stock turbo, period.
Read up on the 1.8T forums and look at peoples dyno's
I think 337 runs on a Ko3 sport. capable of 220hp. max.
You can't just add up the manufacturer's claims of hp.

·
Registered
866 Posts

It's not that simple. Just because a certain mod yields XXX horsepower doesn't always mean that it will yield that same amount of horsepower when done in conjunction with other mods. In some circumstances that mod can actually make MORE power if done along with other work.
I just don't want you thinking that just because three mods independently offer 30, 10 and 15 horsepower respectively doesn't always mean that they'll do that together. Cumulatively, you might get a total of 40 or 45 out of all three or you may get more. There are a ton of variables that can affect the amount of power a mod will output.
Regardless, it sounds like a cool setup. I'm especially looking forward to learning more about that intake.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Re: Over 300 lbs torque...roughly 250 hp (SnapDemon)

quote:[HR][/HR]I believe the Blue Rhino includes
CAI
Chip
Turbo Inlet Pipe[HR][/HR]​
Yup...I'm looking at the ad right here:
High Flow filter in fender, 3" Aluminum Tubing, Larger Turbo Inlet Pipe, New MAF Housing (Hence, a CAI with bigger inlet)
Plus, a "Stage 1" kit is available:
Blue Rhino CAI system
ECU Upgrade
Bypass Valve Upgrade
194hp/227 ft. lbs. at the wheels
http://www.BlueRhinoAutoSport.com
For all this, it seems kinda weak.

·
Registered
4,360 Posts
Re: Over 300 lbs torque...roughly 250 hp (slugII)

quote:[HR][/HR]Not possible with stock turbo, period.[HR][/HR]​
correct.
AND not recommended without upgrading things like clutch, flywheel, and adding an LSD either.
our tranny is rated for 350 Newton-meters (258 foot-lbs)
this is why you cant just add an APR stage 3 and think youre gonna have a reliable ride without adding other things. the car wasnt designed for 300hp and the torque that goes with it.

·
Registered
783 Posts
Re: Over 300 lbs torque...roughly 250 hp (dubber337)

quote:[HR][/HR]Yup...I'm looking at the ad right here:
High Flow filter in fender, 3" Aluminum Tubing, Larger Turbo Inlet Pipe, New MAF Housing (Hence, a CAI with bigger inlet)[HR][/HR]​
Can you get a new maf housing from any other vendors????????

·
Registered
2,994 Posts
Re: Over 300 lbs torque...roughly 250 hp (strider5)

quote:[HR][/HR]Not possible with stock turbo, period.
correct.
AND not recommended without upgrading things like clutch, flywheel, and adding an LSD either.
our tranny is rated for 350 Newton-meters (258 foot-lbs)
this is why you cant just add an APR stage 3 and think youre gonna have a reliable ride without adding other things. the car wasnt designed for 300hp and the torque that goes with it.[HR][/HR]​
SAD but true! http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
1,277 Posts

quote:[HR][/HR]The 1.8t engine is capable of over 300 lbs of torque and 250 hp with a price of just over $2000. After research of the best intakes and exhaust systems I saw a intake in the eurotuner magazine that give 227 lbs torque and 197 hp. I was amazed. It cost about $750 though...expensive. At the moment I forgot the name of it. Having that much hp and torque and adding a full exhaust system (w/hiflo cat) That will add another 20-25 lbs of torque and about 10-15 hp giving the car around 240 lbs torque and around 210 hp. Last throw an APR chip in the car and add another 60-70 lbs of torque and 30-40 hp and altogether that should be added up to about 300 lbs/250hp. Putting you in the high 13 sec range for 1/4 mile. Amazing!!
Exhaust system 400-600
APR chip ~500[HR][/HR]​
I think some of these figures are just for dreamers.
I have an Audi S3, which I'm sure you will know is basically the TT 225 engine...which has lower compression, twin cats and a bigger turbo than your 337.
I also have a full Milltek exhaust complete with twin high flow cats...and I'm getting next to bugger all of a gain in a standard car. Fair enough, on a chipped car, you may see 4 or 5 BHP and maybe 8 to 10 lb-ft...but 20-25 lbs of torque and about 10-15...I don't think so.
Also, a pretty well sorted S3 / TT with exhaust, cats, FMIC, APR Re-chip all combined with the bigger K04 and lower compression engine will be lucky to make a genuine 250+ BHP / 300 lb-ft...and that would be running on 98+ octane fuel.
I don't want to rain on your parade...but don't beleive all the hype in quoted gains....
Or, spend all the money and see for yourself.

·
Administrator
87,848 Posts

Exhaust system 400-600
APR chip ~500[HR][/HR]​
All that torque and you can just saw buh bye to your tranny.
"Buh Bye buddy" is what you'll be saying the first or second time you give it full throttle and the tires spin....
"Buh Bye"
Definitely a tunable engine...
I'd rather have displacement for fear of the hamster motor going bye bye.
Just my opinion...
later,

·
Registered
398 Posts

quote:[HR][/HR]The 1.8t engine is capable of over 300 lbs of torque and 250 hp with a price of just over $2000.
[HR][/HR]​
The 337's Gearbox, MQ350 will not be able to handle more than 258lb/ft of torque.
"M stands for manual, Q for transverse installation and 350 for the maximum transferable torque of 350 Newton meters or 258 lb./ft of torque. The MQ350 is a particularly flexible two-shaft gearbox."

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.