VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
  • Mwerks and Fourtitude have rejoined VWVortex. For more info, see this thread.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
15,830 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)

FONTANA (CBSLA) — Security cameras captured a man with what appears to be a pump sprayer shooting an acid-like substance on dozens of trucks about 3 a.m. Tuesday at a dealership in Fontana.

“The damage is quite severe,” said Julio Ortiz, general manager at Pacific Auto Center. “We were severely shocked.”

Seconds later, security cameras captured another suspect, possibly a woman, spraying cars. Ortiz says 91 trucks and cars are so severely damaged that some will have to be sold at auction.

“It just seems somebody really went out of their way to hurt our business, hurt our customers as well,” Ortiz said. “It’s very shameful that people out there have these type of intentions. I don’t think there’s any excuse or reason for anyone to do something like this.”

Ortiz says the substance peeled paint off and burned through plastic headlights. The most serious damage was to a $90,000 Lincoln Navigator. It will cost more than $10,000 to fix the damage.

The dealership has seen vandalism in the past but nothing like this. It is hoping police catch the vandals.

“This can’t continue to happen,” Ortiz said. “It can happen to us, it can also happen to someone else. We don’t want these type of people thinking this is OK, let alone thinking they could get away with it.”
https://www.nbclosangeles.com/news/local/Cars-Vandalized-with-Acid-Attack-in-Fontana-485327701.html

·
Planters (fasciitis) peanuts. Dang dogg
19,223 Posts
Oof. With my old insurance deductible that would have killed my profitability for the month. We had a small fire in a decorative hedge and it melted a few bumpers off cars, and that was bad enough.

·
Registered
34,869 Posts
Oof. With my old insurance deductible that would have killed my profitability for the month. We had a small fire in a decorative hedge and it melted a few bumpers off cars, and that was bad enough.
Is the deductible typically on a per-incident basis for the whole dealership or is each vehicle insured separately with their own deductible for each?

·
Registered
'17 Golf R
13,315 Posts
Damn decorative hedges.

·
Planters (fasciitis) peanuts. Dang dogg
19,223 Posts
Is the deductible typically on a per-incident basis for the whole dealership or is each vehicle insured separately with their own deductible for each?
My store was per car, with a $5k deductible. I'm sure with that many we would have worked something out. $450k in deductibles would have taken me a quarter to pay off. :screwy::thumbdown:

·
Registered
2,866 Posts
Seems like there's probably more to this than some random vandals acid washing some dealer cars for no good reason. I want to know the whole story before passing judgement :eek:

·
Registered
8,182 Posts
Somebody was very very unhappy that the TruCoat was already installed at the factory.

·
Registered
2016 A6, 2014 X3, 1967 Bus, 1963 356
22,415 Posts
Seems like there's probably more to this than some random vandals acid washing some dealer cars for no good reason. I want to know the whole story before passing judgement :eek:
Unless the vandal was a competing dealer avenging a previous 91 car acid attack on his own lot, I don't see how you can justify trashing 91 cars on a dealer lot.

·
Registered
2019 Arteon, 2016 .:R, 1991 Mazda B2600i
1,794 Posts
Revenge angle - gotta be it.

Disgruntled former employee, or customer who felt completely screwed. I mean they tag teamed the place.

·
Registered
2,866 Posts
Revenge angle - gotta be it.

Disgruntled former employee, or customer who felt completely screwed. I mean they tag teamed the place.
that's what i was thinking.

·
Registered
44,361 Posts
Yeah, I'm going to go ahead and pass judgement.

I hope they catch the douchebags.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts