VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
09' CC, 13' Tiguan, 22' Taos, 23' Atlas
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to start this off by saying, yes I know I was a complete idiot and should've taken my time, but mistakes happen and now I've learned my lesson very well. I have a 09' CC and I was going to change the rear pads and rotors and since I have a EPB I needed VCDS or OBD11 ( I used OBD11). Well I went into the job a little hungry but thought it would be a pretty fast process as I have changed pads and rotors on other cars, This was my first mistake and when my brain went idiot mode, I removed the pads and rotors and installed the new ones (only on one side thankfully), When it was time to put the caliper on I still didnt realize the huge mistake i've done. Prepare to cringe, I plugged in OBD11 and went to Brake Maintenance mode and I read the instructions and it said to cycle the parking brake on and off but I didn't read any more because in BIG letters it says "do this before changing the brakes and not to do this with the caliper off" and i saw that too late I already turned the parking brake on and i could hear the motor spinning and spinning and I knew I messed up bad. When it stopped spinning the piston was over extended and the EPB button and Brake light were flashing, I tried to see if i could reverse it using OBD11 but It kept saying "error" so I accepted defeat and did research. Now the way I fixed it was, I purchased a used caliper with no EPB motor. I do not think you need to replace the caliper, what you could do is remove the piston from the boot (there will be fluid coming out so be prepared) and you will see a screw with a metal piece that will push the piston when you engage the EPB. That metal piece fell off and what you can do is screw it back on all the way until it bottoms out and I would also suggest replacing the seals, now you can slide the piston back in, the piston can only go in one way so make sure its not going in crooked, it should be smooth going down. After that install the caliper back on and you have to bleed the brakes, as i said before I changed the caliper instead and then bled the system. Once i finished i still had to fix the flashing EPB button so I disconnected the battery for around 30 mins and cleared the codes stored (idk if disconnecting the battery is necessary). I had the codes 03200 and 02442 and I cleared them but the light was still flashing, now you need to drive your car for a little bit and the light should stop flashing, just make sure the EPB engages, I've learned my lesson and the instructions are drilled into my head, feel free to comment on my stupidity and if you have any questions feel free to ask but I hope nobody else makes the same mistake I made and has to go through all this.

TLDR: Rear brake job gone wrong, over extended caliper because of EPB. Flashing parking brake button. Remove caliper piston and screw metal piece back all the way and push piston back in. Next bleed the brakes and disconnect the battery to reset car, now drive for a bit and the light should go away and should be fixed.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts