VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
2,057 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was reading about the GC/T&C, and it appears they all come equipped with a dim indirect overhead lighting (from underneath the overhead console), they advertised it as a way of checking on the kids in the back without waking them up.
Is this feature also available on the Routan, if so, which trims have it?
TIA!

·
Registered
89 Posts
Re: Overhead Ambiant Lighting Question (RobMan8023)

It came on the wife's 08 T&C Touring, but is not on my Routan SE, both of which have the extended overhead RSE consoles.
I am not sure if it comes as a lighting package or is a part of an SEL build.
Or if it is available at all?
Geoff

·
Registered
184 Posts

You could always check with your neighborhood Mopar Dealer's parts guy and see if it can be added. My SEL/RSE does not have it either.

·
Registered
2,057 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Re: Overhead Ambiant Lighting Question (cscsc)

Thanks for the input guys, just for the record, this is what I was talking about:

TOWN & COUNTRY
Overhead Surround Ambient Lighting
Town & Country's soft, available overhead surround ambient lighting bathes the interior cabin in awarm green glow, creating a refreshing interior ambience.
Overhead Surround Ambient Lighting
Standard on:
Touring
GRAND CARAVAN
Interior lightingSix pointed LED lights are available for personal use. And combined with the observation mirror, available halo lighting keeps everyone in view and also adds a soft glow of "living room" light.
Halo lighting
Standard on:
Grand Caravan SXT
Grand Caravan SXT 25th Anniversary Edition
Limited

It looks like this was a feature that didn't get carried over to the Routan, much like Stow-n-go. Not a deal breaker at all, but something I was thinking about. My local Dodge dealer has about 25 GCs in stock, I think I'm going to go look at them this week...

Modified by RobMan8023 at 8:48 PM 8-1-2009

·
Registered
1 Posts

My Routan does not have the ambient lighting. Does anyone know if VW offers it? Does it come in red to match the rest of the interior lighting?

·
Registered
16 Posts

Mine does not have it either. But it would be easy to add in. I'm assuming it's EL Tape. Or ElectroLuminescence tape. It's extremly flexible, and 12v. So assuming you had some basic installation skills, I don't think it'd be too hard to tap the 12v + power on the overhead lights, or even add in a small dash mounted toggler.
The wires can be run down the "A" pillar to the fuse box out in the engine compartment. Just be careful when tapping you don't mess with any yellow wires (airbag SRS) stuff.
http://www.elbestbuy.com/?gcli...itEfQ

Modified by DarthJamo at 2:47 AM 8-7-2009

·
Registered
2,057 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Re: Overhead Ambiant Lighting Question (DarthJamo)

I'm bringing this thread back from the dead

Well I bought some red glowire.com and am going to try to install it today in the forward overhead RSE pod (I have 2 separate pods due to sunroof). I imagine the overhead console can be removed with a screwdriver and some muscle (retention clips?)
Has anyone removed theirs? Anything I should look out for?

Modified by RobMan8023 at 2:49 PM 1-5-2010

·
Registered
10,503 Posts

Quote, originally posted by RobMan8023 »
I'm bringing this thread back from the dead

Well I bought some red glowire.com and am going to try to install it today i the forward overhead RSE pod (I have 2 separate pods due to sunroof). I imagine the overhead console can be removed with a screwdriver and some muscle (retention clips?)
Has anyone removed theirs? Anything I should look out for?

post pics of the install precess http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
2,057 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Re: Overhead Ambiant Lighting Question (redzone98)

Got it installed, and found a wire (Orange with lavender stripe(?)- I'm colorblind) that is powered with headlights on, and is attached to the dimmer switch.
VES pod removed with 4 screws into roof and retention clips. Gotta pop forward and aft panels out (forward panel houses the front-facing maplight, rear panel houses HVAC controls) to get to screws and then the whole thing pops out.
There is a little channel that runs along either side of the VES pod with some nice places to zip-tie the glowire in place.
I have to wait until tonight to see if the red glowire I bought is bright enough, if it isn't I'm going to order a length of "aqua" color to match the "indiglo" dash panel.
Sorry I didn't think to take pictures this time around, but if I remove it again for some reason I'll be sure to do so.
EDIT:
Unfortunately, after I looked at it this evening, it is too faint to be useful, I'm going to try connecting the aqua glowire I spoke about above.

Modified by RobMan8023 at 6:30 PM 1-5-2010

·
Registered
12,171 Posts
Re: (cscsc)

I ordered a 10 foot piece of 12 volt, white ropelight and plan to give this mod a try. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
12,171 Posts
Re: (MRP2001GTi)

OK got it installed. To lower the RSE you remove the forward and aft covers by pulling them down. Each one has four clips that holds them in (see pics). The 12 foot long piece of rope light was the perfect length. It sit in the channel around the edge. I grounded one end to one of the attaching screws and the other wire I tapped into the orange and gray wire that is controls the dimming of the lights. The pics of the lights were taken in daylight, I will have to take some more later tonight.

·
Registered
12,171 Posts
Re: (MRP2001GTi)

Night time, the pics dont do it justice. It is very mellow and its exactly what I wanted. With the LEDs off you have nice soft glow like a limo or airplane.
The lights are from this site, its the 10 foot half inch rope.
http://www.platinumlightinginc....html

Modified by MRP2001GTi at 6:06 PM 2-6-2010

·
Registered
6,467 Posts
Very nice. Great pics too

·
Registered
6,467 Posts
Re: (blizno)

The one thing i find interesting is that my Routan (Canadian version) has two separate 2nd and 3rd row over-head consoles. I notice in your picture that you have 1 long one, verses 2 short.
I have the "SEL" with 2 rear screens. rse2 package i believe.
What package to do have in your Routan?

1 - 20 of 27 Posts