VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8,116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok, so if the cooling fan doesnt come on, the water pump is not siezed, and the temp goes WAY past max, meaning its overheating, would you guess that its the thermostat that needs to be replaced?
I can drive forever, at whatever speeds and it doesnt matter, temp keeps climbing, leading me to believe that the coolant is not circulating, also the reason why the fan switch wont turn on, since the coolant isnt circulating, its not getting a hot signal to turn on. HELP, my friends baby is pinging bad bad bad cause its hot hot hot.

·
Registered
3,386 Posts
Re: overheating, fan don't come on, hot hot hot (83Rabbit)

The fan never comes on? Could be the fan temperature switch. Had the same problem in my Cabby and that was the magical fix.

Modified by kuklaki at 8:53 PM 5-13-2003

·
Registered
8,116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: overheating, fan don't come on, hot hot hot (kuklaki)

this is true, but with the fan switch broke, you can drive above 45 mph and the temp will stay down, this doesnt happen with this case. Which leads me to believe the fan switch isnt kicking on because it is located in the radiator and relies on coolant temp to kick it on. If no coolant is comming from the block, its not getting a signal, rather, just a signal from the sitting coolant in the radiator while the block is burnin up.

·
Registered
7,462 Posts

Have you done the obvious...like checking the coolant level? If the belt's not broken, and the pulley is spinning I'd imagine the coolant is circulating.
Jump power to the fan, and go from there.

·
Banned
1,092 Posts

Open your hood and look at the bottom right corner of the radioter there's a sensor/plug lookin thing grab a wire and touch the top prong with it and the other end to positive of the battery if it doesn't turn on check the ground side, then try again. If the fan doesn't turn on i don't know what to tell you cuz i don't know what that is but i have it hooked to a switch on the dash so i can turn it on whenever.
How this helps and didn't already know that. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
1,019 Posts

Does the car have a/c, if so turn it on, does the fan come on? No a/c, remove the connector from the temp switch on radiator, jump the terminals in the connector, the fan should come on. If the fan comes on in either case replace temp switch. As far as the car running hot all the time, the cooling fan system is not the cause of that concern. The fan should only operate when at idle or low speeds(or when a/c is on). Remove the cap on overflow bottle(on a cold engine only) start engine and watch for coolant flow into the bottle from the small hose. As the vehicle warms up feel the coolant hoses to determine when the thermostat opens, once it is open, is the temp uniform on the upper and lower hoses, is the radiator temp. uniform?
Hope the gets you going in the right direction, post the results.

·
Registered
901 Posts
Re: overheating, fan don't come on, hot hot hot (a1only)

yes a1only is on the right track. if indeed you have coolant and it is not circulating, check Tstat as you suggested. look for clogged hose/passage. see if water pump impeller and pulley are still connected. make sure your impeller is molded and looks like a fan, not one of those stamped steel things. it does make a difference, believe it or not.

·
Registered
Current: 03 TDI Wagon (Original owner), 13 TDI Sportwagen, 70 Westfalia
182 Posts

Going back to your original idea...yes, it could be a stuck thermostat. It is somewhat odd that your fan isn't running, but what you are describing would lead me to believe that the thermostat is stuck shut and not circulating to your radiator. Either that, or as some of the others suggested, blockage somewhere in the system. I had a case where my fan seized up in my 91 GLi, but it only got super-hot when I was in thick traffic. Freeway speeds = no problems.
If this was my car, I would get a new thermostat, a good flush kit, and some new coolant (phosphate free). What do you have to lose? $15 and an hour of your time. Right? If it's not that, at least you won't have to worry about THAT for a while. I'd be willing to bet, though, that that is the problem. If it's cheap parts and easy labor that you suspect, why not just do it? I am in a similar situation right now with my CV joints/transmission. Not sure which is causing the problems, so my first try is going to be the half shaft...
Oh yeah, while you got the thermostat of there, check the water pump impeller as already suggested. Good luck!!!

Modified by gli_ohio at 12:24 PM 5-14-2003

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.