- fans turn on only when car is off
- when i turn key on they shut off
- i ran it with no thermostat
- and i changed the fan control module
- spent almost a week on this im so confussed, please help

·
Registered
12,064 Posts
Re: overheating problem still. (xxbarcombx)

Have you replaced the water-pump? What condition is the radiator in and its age?

Modified by ps2375 at 4:50 PM 4-20-2010

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: overheating problem still. (ps2375)

i didnt replace the water pump cuz i looked at it spun it held the fins inside to see if there was play and there was none spun fine, and radiator im not to sure on i know i was backed into the other day witch pushed the ac cooler into the radiator some i dont know if thatll effect it at all

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

could it be cuz i ran pretty much all water and a little bit of antifreez?

·
Registered
12,064 Posts

Quote, originally posted by xxbarcombx »
could it be cuz i ran pretty much all water and a little bit of antifreez?
doubt it.
I have seen the plastic in the end-tanks deteriorate and cause the coolant to bypass the rad core, thus no cooling or very little. At this point a waterpump is cheap and next would be a rad. Is the thermostat still out of it? If it is in, it is in correctly?

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Re: overheating problem still. (ps2375)

no there is no thermostat in it i refuse to put it in untill i solve the overheating problem, and what about the fans? they only come on when the key is off when i turn ignition but not starting the car they turn off and the dont turn on at all even running the car.

·
Registered
12,064 Posts

I don't have a manual with me, but that could be a function of a load reduction relay, the older cars have one, not sure about the mkIII's. You may have something more than just a cooling problem, or you could have an electrical problem causing the cooling problem. Have you looked at the diagrams to see if there is something related to the ign ckt and the fan ckt? You may have to pay a shop to figure this one out, if you can't.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts