VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
3,816 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I searched the archives, and it looks like my waterpump is dead. Symptoms are, temperature is fine at idle, over 3,000 RPM for a couple of minutes and it starts to overheat. The engine temperature light never came on cause I took it easy on her.
So I know my waterpump is dead since and I'm still under warranty. My question is. Does the dealership replace the plastic waterpump with a metal waterpump? And would they do my timing belt and tensioner for free or a small perhaps parts fee?
What do you think?
TIA
Ric

· Registered
1,637 Posts
Ok, my waterpum went a year ago at about 70K with identical symptoms as yours. I researched it on the board and figured it out as the impeller wheel cracked on the shaft, causing no coolant flow at higher rpms.
When I went to the dealer it was covered on the powertrain warranty, and while in there I got my timing belt done since they have to rip all the same stuff apart to do the waterpump.
I asked about the tensioner and the words of the service manager is they do a visual inspection and if it looks ok, they keep the existing tensioner. bs or not, I don't know. But a year later no problems.
Also the technician was near the desk when I was there and he confirmed to me that this was a known (non-recall) issue, and that the replacement pump had a metal impeller wheel.
When you go in to the dealer to replace your pump with the pump that has the metal impeller wheel, because you are overheating.
Also if it is not a short distance to your dealer, to just idle over there at 30mph, while watching the gauge (don't let it go far past the middle mark) then get it towed there.
step1 - get to the dealer
step2- ask for new pump
step3- get timing belt done while there, you'll pay less labor because they already got it ripped apart to replace the pump

Modified by vwooom at 9:08 PM 8-19-2006

· Registered
3,816 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
UPDATE: I got the car done, but I didn't do the timing belt and tensioner. Dealer wanted an Extra $500 beans for it. The reason why I didn't do it was because they told me if they were going to put in a WP with a metal impeler they would charge me full price since it's after market. So I told them to replace it with the OEM (Plastic Impeler) and that's it!
I'm figuring when I do my timing belt at 100,000 km I'll do the WP with metal impeler.
The dealership I went to are a bunch of asshats, very difficult to deal with and had no clue WTF I was talking about when I mentioned metal impeler.

Modified by ricas_gti at 10:12 AM 8-22-2006

· Banned
2,141 Posts
Re: (ricas_gti)

Quote, originally posted by ricas_gti »
UPDATE: I got the car done, but I didn't do the timing belt and tensioner. Dealer wanted an Extra $500 beans for it. The reason why I didn't do it was because they told me if they were going to put in a WP with a metal impeler they would charge me full price since it's after market. So I told them to replace it with the OEM (Plastic Impeler) and that's it!
I'm figuring when I do my timing belt at 100,000 km I'll do the WP with metal impeler.
The dealership I went to are a bunch of asshats, very difficult to deal with and had no clue WTF I was talking about when I mentioned metal impeler.

Modified by ricas_gti at 10:12 AM 8-22-2006

Sorrry. That sucks. When they did mine I got the metal impellar WP. I didn't do timing stuff as I've got another motor I'm about to build. You should be fine.

· Registered
3,816 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Re: (Ricky_Rockstah)

Quote, originally posted by Ricky_Rockstah »
Sorrry. That sucks. When they did mine I got the metal impellar WP. I didn't do timing stuff as I've got another motor I'm about to build. You should be fine.

I'm sure I'll be fine until I get to 100,000 km. At that point I'll change everything, the only problem is that I'll have to pay for it. Oh well, regular maintenance is a *****!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.