VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Finally installed my Turn2 poly inserts for the tranny side mount (under the airbox). Install was simple and took less than 45minutes (read no power tools or air tools needed!). Removal of the air intake, supporting the tranny underneath, then removing bolts. There are two bolts straight down through the mount which are removed. Then the mount itself is held in by three bolts to the chassis. Two main bolts and one pivot bolt. NOTE: All three of these bolts were loose, 50,000 on my rig. Mount slides out with a little manipulating and off to the vise. Clamp it down and pry of bottom plate which is rivited on. Old rubber from mount was slushy and had holes all through it. New inserts just sit inside, there is no pressing needed. Then reinstall! Shifting is much smoother, car feels so much firmer and more "like new." On/off throttle is sharper and going over bumps is more solid. Visual inspection of motor while revving it shows little to no movement. Prior to replacement engine would move back and forth almost 2 inches! Anyway great mod http://www.turn2usa.com
Second mod was Neuspeed lower tie bar. Also took about 40 minutes to install including jacking. Two bolts (inner A-arm bolt which are replaced by ones supplied by Neuspeed) need a good amount of force to break free (read: needed a lead hammer to hit the wrench) but after that it's pretty cut and dry. Again, much more solid. Car feels more like 'one unit.' Only way I can explain the feeling is almost similar to what my Neuspeed 28mm rear swaybar gave me for stability and strength in the rear, but now for the frint as well. More confidence going into corners and steering reaction is more accute. Allright that's it.
Two cheap mods that firmed things up and gave me more confidence in my rig. The way I see it, the less things are loose and moving around, the less likely things will bang around and save on wear and tear on associated components. Remember, things are really tight in there and clearance can be an issue. Two mods I give a http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif and would do again if got another A4.

[Modified by black2001aww, 4:03 PM 1-30-2003]

[Modified by black2001aww, 4:06 PM 1-30-2003]

·
Banned
7,500 Posts
Re: Overview on a couple quick mods(Turn2/Nuespeed) (VDUBBINDizzy)

Agreement on the lower tiebar bolts.... I had to use a floorjack and a wrench to even move them.
I had to give up and drop by a shop to impact them off as the bolts were a funny size on the car.. My socket set didnt have that size, just one mm bigger and smaller.
However the neuspeed provided bolts were of a standard size.

·
Registered
2,408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Re: Overview on a couple quick mods(Turn2/Nuespeed) (Cypher2k)

Yeah definately firm up steering although I'm still on my continentals for winter, but this summer when I put 4 Nitto555r's on my 17's, I should be
. I didn't need an impact gun at all, but it was me and my friend switching off, so we always had a fresh pair of guns. We also put a jack under the A-arm to release pressure on the bolt while we unscrewed it. This might have been our saving grace. Thank god for my simple understanding of physics and logic!

·
Registered
9,735 Posts
Re: Overview on a couple quick mods(Turn2/Nuespeed) (Cypher2k)

quote:[HR][/HR]Agreement on the lower tiebar bolts.... I had to use a floorjack and a wrench to even move them.
I had to give up and drop by a shop to impact them off as the bolts were a funny size on the car.. My socket set didnt have that size, just one mm bigger and smaller.
However the neuspeed provided bolts were of a standard size.
[HR][/HR]​
yeah impact is nice to have. But nothing that a proper 22" long breaker bar wont handle with the proper position and persuasion. But im spoiled by having access to air and hopefully my own air soon.
Lower tiebar is somehting I been wondering about. I installed one for someoen else, and really didnt notice much ont he MK4, but he did lack and upper tie bar. Now the upper tie bar and a clear diffrence in my cars turn in, if the lower will just improve that then ill add it to the budget.

·
Registered
721 Posts
Re: Overview on a couple quick mods(Turn2/Nuespeed) (jamesb)

I think my lower made more of a difference than the upper. I have both now, but did one at a time. The only issue that i have with the lower one, is that it hangs down reeeeaaaaly low. My car is lowered too, so that's why. Its the lowest point of the car. Suprisingly I've scraped it only once on this F**kd up road by my house. Makes it difficult to straddle things in your lane such as road kill or peices of tire. I had an interesting run in with a truck tire tread that was laying in the middle of I80 in PA. At speed i was traveling it was unavoidable. I was lucky just to straddle it and not run it over. There wasn't any damage, but i definately heard it hit the underneath of my car. I haven't considered removing it though. Its there to stay... http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif
How exactly does the Turn2 mount eliminate 2nd gear grind?

·
Registered
2,408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Re: Overview on a couple quick mods(Turn2/Nuespeed) (QuickDub)

It doesn't eliminate 2nd gear grind. That's caused by sychro wear. It does however limit the movement of the engine itself significantly. Thus while your bangin' gear the linkage pulls or pushes in a straight line from a fixed poit as opposed to varied angles because of engine movement. I guess.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.