VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just ran across this pic in the MK4 forum, arguing in favor of Quattro, and this gets posted up. Was trying to find out if it is a true S4, and what color that is, looks a bit dark for Imola.

·
Registered
2,270 Posts
Re: Owner Identify: Yellow S4 Avant (stagger_lee)

Imola was the only yellow the B5 was offered in, Imola it is. Pictures tend to change the color a bit.

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Re: Owner Identify: Yellow S4 Avant (ban eighty)

Yeah, that was the only reason I was questioning it being a true S4. Color looked a bit dark. really trying to find out if its an imposter S4 or not.

·
Registered
4,999 Posts
Re: Owner Identify: Yellow S4 Avant (Lazer Viking)

snow is white, it throws off the color balance of the photo, thus making colors darker. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Re: Owner Identify: Yellow S4 Avant (Lazer Viking)

Quote, originally posted by Lazer Viking »
yes its a real s4, the only other yellow that came on a b5 was brilliant yellow, on the a4's.. and its lighter, not darker then imola

Aside from the color how can you tell its real? Do you know the owner?
My brother has an OEM S4 kit on his A4 avant. Aside from knowing whats under the hood you cant tell the difference. Anybody can tranform the body, and paint it what they want. Its under the hood that counts.
That makes sense about the snow changing appearance of the paint, so now we just need an owner to confess truth or deception!
http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif Its probably a 1.8T auto frontrack

Modified by stagger_lee at 7:41 AM 12-5-2007

·
Registered
655 Posts

Well...I own a clone of that car.....that's definitely Imola Yellow. As for tell tale differences between an S4 and an A4 with an S4 body kit.
-S4 and A4 2.8 Avants have silver roof rails, 1.8Ts don't.
-The window trim color is different between the S4/A4.
-S4s must have leather seats or a sport interior (not avilable on the 1.8T).
-The headliner and trim pieces must be black.
-It must be a 99.5 or later body.
-Imola Yellow and Nogaro Blue are unique to the S4.
-It must be a Quattro.
-HP2 bakes only came on the S4 and won't fit the b5 A4s.
-Vented rear rotors.
-Manuals must be 6 speeds.
That's a real S4 Avant for a few reasons the roof rails (few people mod 2.8s like this) are clearly silver and there were no refresh cars ('99.5 and later) available in yellow aside from an S4. Could the owner repainted the car and changed the roof rails? Sure, but for the cost involved it's very unlikely given the cost to do so is the difference between an A4 and an S4 nowadays.

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Re: Owner Identify: Yellow S4 Avant (Pete_S4)

Thanks for that bit of info. Much appreciated.
My brother did swap OEM silver S4 roof rails and black headliner trim and leather, I was not aware of the window trim difference. The only way you can tell my brothers is an A4 is per the brakes like you said and obviously its a 5 speed. I always talk trash to him, because the Imola S4 Avant is my dream car, my unicorn if you will, and he is driving a fake. Makes me mad. Like you pointed out, COST, he spent all this money to make it look like an S4 when he could have saved that money and bought a real one. To each there own. I would love to see pics of your ride if you could link me up. Thanks again for the info brother.

·
Registered
2,042 Posts

Quote, originally posted by Pete_S4 »
The window trim color is different between the S4/A4.

Subtle and true. A4 is bright silver and S4 is smoked silver. Not impossible but it's a chunk of work to change over all the window trim on all 4 doors and both sides of upper body, along with all the other bit$ in Pete's list.
Buy an Imola S4 Avant and use your Bro's A4 wheels for winters http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Re: Owner Identify: Yellow S4 Avant (GLS-S4)

Quote, originally posted by GLS-S4 »

Buy an Imola S4 Avant and use your Bro's A4 wheels for winters http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

If only I could find one. I would sell the 02 A4 and the GTI if I found one. I already have a couple sets of winters, Im set. I would love to blow my brothers mind and pull up to the house with a dukes of hazard horn blaring
, and my middle fingers out the window in a real S4. He knows I have always loved that car and his attempt at replicating it is his way of f-in with me subtly. Call it brotherly love.

·
Registered
9,068 Posts

Quote, originally posted by stagger_lee »
Yeah, that was the only reason I was questioning it being a true S4. Color looked a bit dark. really trying to find out if its an imposter S4 or not.

Yes it is a true S4 Avant. I took that picture. That is Tristans the owner of Further Performance car

1 - 12 of 12 Posts