VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
723 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i heard about the recall from Mayer Volkswagen in Larchmont, New York. here's what happened: A couple of months ago, my CEL turned on at about 50k miles. My only mod was a eurosport exhaust. i took it to the dealership (Mayer) and they said that i needed to get a new oxygen sensor and a new MAF sensor, which they could do for $500, and this repair was not covered by warranty, because i had passed the 24k mi limit. i took the car home, and called Volkswagen Customer Care (VWCC), tel# (800) 822-8987, and told them it should be covered by the 10yr/100k mi engine/drivetrain warranty, and they agreed to cover the cost of repair. i made my appt. with Mayer to have the repair done, but two weeks before my appt. came, my window regulator broke (for the 4th time), and i brought the car to Mayer that night. everytime my regulator has broken, Mayer tells me to bring the car in ASAP, and they'll do the repair the same day. so when i brought it in for the window this time, i asked if they could do the oxygen and MAF sensors too. they returned the car to me the next day, telling me they now discovered that only the air change over valve had to actually be replaced. my CEL was gone and i was happy . . . until two days later when it came back on. i called Mayer, and they now said that my CEL is actually due to a defectively manufactured oxygen sensor, and that there is a recall on these oxygen sensors. they said that volkswagen would send me a letter regarding the recall, and then i could schedule an appt. with them and have the repair done for free, but i would have to wait for the letter. it sounded too fishy, so i called VWCC to confirm. they said that they dont have any information on recalls, and could not help me. so i guess im stuck waiting.
VWCC helped me in the past by getting my window regulator fixed for free. It was the 2nd out of 4 times it had broken, and the only time the dealer tried to charge me for the repair. the dealer's illogic was that since i had passed the 24k mi limit of the 2yr/24k mi "everything" warranty, i should be charged for the repair. i told VWCC that since the regulator had already broken once, before i had passed 24k mi, it showed that there was a manufacturer's defect, and should be repaired free of charge whenever it breaks. they agreed to cover the cost, and Mayer didn't even try to charge me the 3rd and 4th time it broke. i hope VWCC comes thru this time too.
anyone else hear about this recall(or any other one that applies to a '00 gti vr6)? i'm thinking about taking this sham to the media. thats the only solution i could think of. any other ideas?

·
Registered
361 Posts
Re: Oxygen Sensor Recall for Golf IV VR6 (mista dubba dubba)

Interesting. I haven't heard of the O2 sensor recall on the VR6's, but that would be real cool if true.
I tripped a CEL about a week ago, cleared it two days ago and it returned this morning. I need to check the codes again and schedule a trip to the dealer. BTW, I also have 55k on my car.

[Modified by CoolWhiteVR6, 7:06 AM 2-14-2002]

·
Registered
67 Posts
Re: Oxygen Sensor Recall for Golf IV VR6 (BostonMk4)

I have a 2.0slo IV and the light tripped. Unfortunately my mother brought the car to the dealer and after some poop story about "hey, I spoke to VW and they won't charge $500 for the part but I'll have to do labour" I gagged. I immediately came here and read some stories about the MAF. In this case, is it an official recall and should labour NOT be charged?

[Modified by Qube, 7:01 PM 2-27-2002]

[Modified by Qube, 7:25 PM 2-27-2002]

·
Registered
67 Posts
Re: Oxygen Sensor Recall for Golf IV VR6 (Qube)

Anyone have information about this? I'd like to have a full load of ammunition before letting fire go

·
Registered
19,612 Posts
Re: Oxygen Sensor Recall for Golf IV VR6 (Qube)

my MAF recently went too,it was also $500,The dealer told me that it might have been the gas i've been using, then computer code said the car was running lean...
(I always use premium at the gas station,so I don't think this is the case)
VWoA seriously needs to look into this as well as the window regulator situation.
I'm plannig on getting a new DUB this year and seriously want all these issues nipped in the bud.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Re: Oxygen Sensor Recall for Golf IV VR6 (mista dubba dubba)

How does the Golf VR6 differ from the Jetta VR6? Why only a recall on the Golf?
The all inclusive warranty on my 2002 Jetta GLX just expired (two months ago) but I have been having "problems" for some time now so everything was on file. Last week they changed the MAF and today they changed both the O2 Sensor on the intake side of the Cat Converter and the coolant heat sensor. Tomorrow they are going to check all of the electrical ground points just to be on the safe side. All covered under warranty.
Should I be worried that these sudden failures portend some greater calamity?
Zip problems with the car up to this point in time.

·
Registered
2,500 Posts
Re: Oxygen Sensor Recall for Golf IV VR6 (EPilot)

HAHAHA they are soooooo full of crap. There is someone here at vortex, I unfortunately forget who, who has a relative who is an electrical engineer and anylized the MAF circuit board. He found that in order to cut down on the number of solder points ( which normally fail in high strss automotive compents) VAG went with a different printed circuit/encapsuation design. This design when subjected to repeated sudden impacts, ie bumps in the road, will cause printed circuit path failure due to stress fractures. Hence some people have had multiple units fail (they travel the same bumpy roads every day) and some people like myself who are anal and drive an hour out of their way just to stay on nice roads have had zero failures.
I hope the guy who posted the orginal info posts here. Or you could do a search, I'm too lazy to

1 - 9 of 9 Posts