VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have a 2007 A4 with the 2.0FSI engine. I recently noticed the car would sometimes have a hard time starting, then one afternoon when leaving work it decided to start idling like total garbage and i could hear a noise under the valve cover. i bought a brand new timing chain(IWIS Brand) and tensioner(INA Brand) and replaced them yesterday which took care of the damaged tensioner, however now i am getting an intermittent P0011 code. I do not have a VAGCOM log to post since i am at work right now, but block 091 showed a specified value of 28 and an actual value of 28 at idle. the only problem seems to be if i rev the engine, the valves seem to drift apart from each other.

i used this link as my guide for the replacement.

when the tensioner failed, the cylinder of the top pad broke through the top of the tensioner pad and was grinding on the chain. im wondering if it caused my VVT valve to fail?

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
before i left work yesterday afternoon, i decided to troubleshoot the VVT valve in the parking lot. i removed it from the car and put 12v directly from the battery to it and it did not seem to do anything other than spark at the leads. i smacked it against my battery a few times (laid a rag down for some padding) and i felt it break loose. i then applied 12v to it again and it appears to be functioning now. i reinstalled it and the car started right up and runs great now. i got on the throttle a little aggressively on the way out of work and lost a coil pack almost immediately, but thats unrelated. after installing a new coil pack, the car runs like brand new.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.