VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so from researching, and posting on different forums cant find any solutions... what i've figured out and a fellow fourtituder said that my timing could be off at the bank for which this code is on, in this case bank 2.. if the chain is off by a link could that be adjusted from the head or i need to redo the timing belt job...??? .......(recently did a timing belt job valve cover gaskets, seals, and tensioner gaskets...a p0346 code came up, i erased it and if the car runs the CEL stays off, but if i shut the engine off and restarted CEL comes back on,, i tried replacing the position sensor with a oem one, but no difference. ) help is really appreciated,

·
Registered
2 Posts
Cam Position sensor codes

Yes, it sounds like you have the timing between the intake and exhaust cam off a tooth....this is fairly common occ, if urrance when changing the cam tensioner seals. Likely you also notice tha the engine seems to shake a bit at idle as well....at least it did in my case. I also had a number of misfire codes as well (I had the issue with the drivers side of the engine) and pulled codes for bank 2. Codes I had were P0346 (cam pos sensor), P0380 (random misfire), Po304/P0306/P0305 (cyl 4,6,5 misfire)....all which went away after getting the correct 16 rollers (not links) between the cam gear teeth. Timing belt needs to be checksed to make sure its correct as well - likely it is correct if you used the cam bar to set the timing in the first place, which means you can just compress the tensioner and remove the intake cam to correct the situation. Plan on replacing the gasket under the tensioner as well as you will need to pull this as well.

Clear the codes when you're done and all should be good. Remeber to remove the cam position sensor (2 bolts) before moving the cams so you don't damage the hall sensor in the unit or you'll be buying a new one.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you very much for replaing on my post... I'll do some reasearch on how to put the car in tdc mode and r u absolutly sure that the intake cam needs to be adjusted orthe exhaust cam how do u find out which one?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thank you very much for replaing on my post... I'll do some reasearch on how to put the car in tdc mode and r u absolutly sure that the intake cam needs to be adjusted orthe exhaust cam how do u find out which one?
Remember that the cam lock tool indexes the cam sprockets (exhaust cams, whick are the outer-most cams on the "vee"....so if you set the engine at top dead center (TDC), locked it in place with the special tool through the access hole in the block, and then used the cam lock bar to align the exhaust cams, then yes, the issue is with your intake cam.

From what I've read (and I did it myself) it is fairly certain that you will lose the intake to exhaust cam timing (16 rollers) when changing the cam tensioner gasket. Check your codes....see if you got the same codes I did, and ask yourself if the engine shakes a bit more at idle than it did before you changes the gasket...if it does, and the codes match up, I'd say yes, you lost the timing.

Check Audiworld, Audizine and this site for pictures of the cam orientation inside the engine - someone posted pictures of how the marks on the cam should look. From what I remember the marks line up better on the passenger side than the drivers' side (just the way it is) - this would be a reference, as you really need to count the rollers and make sure the first (#1) and last (#16) are almost fully seated in the sprockets.

I wish I could post pics of my cams in-phase and out-of-phase......but you can find pics on the various websites.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Anyone has pics and how to videos on this?

I'm pretty sure I have the same issue on my V6 '04 Touareg. Car has been great and it will be a side project.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts