VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was getting a LOT of pre-cat exhaust in the cabin, the muffler shop said they found a crack at the cat inlet and welded it, but no improvement. So I took it to my VW trained local mechanic. He dropped the exhaust, found the crack extended to the back side and welded that. Still, I get exhaust in the cabin, and at rest, I smell it under the hood. There has been NO detectable noise suggesting a leak or crack. Now I have a P0420 code which could be related.
Can the SAI system cause this? If not, what else might be causing this?

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Back to the exhaust shop again this morning because the issue still exists. He still can't find a leak. P0420 cleared itself after 100 miles or so. No other codes

Could the secondary air system have a failure and leak exhaust? Or does anyone have any other ideas?

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks, I checked yesterday and no evidence of it malfunctioning. Based on teh movement I saw just revving the engine, my current theory is a bad engine mount and when it rocks, the flex pipe leak becomes apparent, but when it is just idling, it doesn't so that's why no one has found it. Otherwise, I am totally out of ideas.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts