VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
4,386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went for a quiet drive the ol' Pacific Hwy tonight. (sorry I didnt post notice, sudden decision) It was great and the reflectors light up like a race track in a few areas. The leaves were flying in whirls across the empty road, like autumn suddenly landed again.
Anyways, I also saw many a tiny fury friends, and hence this post. Just thought I'd let ya know, many a fury creatures, baby possums that look no more than 5cm in length on the roads amongst older ones. They get stunned by the light and simply remain in the middle of the quiet road whilst I rolled past.
Please please please becareful when driving on the ol road at night, and of course, have a safe enjoyable ride.
Thanks for reading...
What a contrast it was from the bright day light and great displays of bikes.

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
Re: Pacific Hwy @ night (prana)

that sort of goes for driving in/near national parks and bush anyway...
watch for roos and stray cattle too... depending where you are... whether that be night or day and also beware of little rock wallaby's if the area is a bit rocky, wombats where it's generally flatter... and the like...
also for magpies and cockatoos that like to pick up roadkill and seeds that get brought along by the cars and trucks
i think i do too many work trips

tho agreed... the old road is nice at night tho the ecilop's patrol it quite frequently at night
apparently

·
Registered
1,944 Posts
Re: Pacific Hwy @ night (spritle)

I better clarify that Steve doesnt own a wrx, but he wanna get one... traitor!

oh hey John we sighted Trevor's car at Chinatown last night

·
Registered
4,386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Re: Pacific Hwy @ night (UB)

If I own 2 cars, a dub and a WRX, you can guarantee the WRX will be rally converted and I would invite you guys on dirt track drives !
But unfortunately, fortune is not one of my strong points

I am a traitor, but seriously, I respect all "good" cars.

·
Registered
1,141 Posts

hahaa..
stop drooling prana

besides... for the price of wrx insurance i can probably get a nice dirt bike every year

and it'll go more places and be faster and cheaper to fix than a rally wrx
you'll just have to get a TDI allroad
and try doing reruns of the allroad ad http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
1,184 Posts

Good call Prana.. as much as I love my ride and driving them, it's important to remember those little friends and other users of the road!
Sounds like a good drive.. might have to go and check it out some time..
Mike

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
Re: Pacific Hwy @ night (C.J.)

interesting that you're able to see with the stock high beams

or maybe my old age is catching up on me

anyway for those that do haul at night
what's your opinion on the stock high beams?
i've got a golf GL with a set of spotties where people normally put their hella de's and have adjusted my stock high beam spots (effectively they are spots) to shine just above my low beams
i'm not totally happy with the high beam spread and pattern (well compared to any local built car) as there as some blind spots in my high beam
another alternative is finding some spotties that fit in the standard fog light mount in the headlight (for GLE/SE's and GTI's) and having 8 lights for my high beams (or am i just a little nutty
?) heeheee
i figure fogs aren't that useful cos i can adjust my low beams down anyway

whatcha think? and what do you guys do?

·
Registered
4,386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

John, I got a set of Osrams Xenons for $45.00 and they are very white and bright! I think you'll like em. I got them from this shop in Crows nest, I foget the name. Its on Falcon street with an NRMA sign out front.

·
Registered
1,141 Posts

ooooohhh
hullow!

what's the osram's reliability like?
heat output?
hec... can you do a quick review of them? beam spread? performance thru rain and fog?
thanks in advance

·
Registered
4,386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

I remember the shop name, its called Arcus Auto Electricals.
Look for a man named David. He fitted my bulbs on for free just so I could have a look, and I like it. Its very bright and white, and when used with fogs, there is no dark spot.
The stock bulbs do have blank spots of darkness and the right bulb is lower than the left. When I asked VW, they said, its designed that way. Hmmmmmmmm........ but yeah they are good and very cheap. Look for David and say Steve sent you.
Reliability, I think Philips and Osrams are top of my lists of bulbs to buy, Philips have been making tungsten filament material since way before I was borned and the Osrams build much of household bulbs so they both have expertise.
http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
1,184 Posts

Interesting! I have Philips Vision Plus H7, I don't think it's that much of an improvement over stock, the light is not as yellow but not blue like the rice boys.. It's a good replacement bulb if you burn your bulbs out.
But I love the W5W Blue vision bulbs that came free with my Vision plus though! not a practical sort of thing, but you guys should see it!
May be we should have a light bulb comparo GTG!!
hehehe! any reason for a GTG!
Mike

·
Registered
2,371 Posts

PIAA are overpriced... and independent studies have shown them to be inferior to Phillips, osram, hella and cibie.
In other words: they have a big marketing budget.
do a search on google.

·
Registered
1,841 Posts

quote:[HR][/HR]John, I got a set of Osrams Xenons for $45.00 and they are very white and bright! I think you'll like em. I got them from this shop in Crows nest, I foget the name. Its on Falcon street with an NRMA sign out front.
[HR][/HR]​
Do the bulbs just fit into your current headlight? If so, why do car makers charge $2000 as an option for Xenon headlights if you can just buy bulbs for $45?

·
Registered
1,944 Posts
Re: Pacific Hwy @ night (SK)

quote:[HR][/HR]Do the bulbs just fit into your current headlight? If so, why do car makers charge $2000 as an option for Xenon headlights if you can just buy bulbs for $45?
[HR][/HR]​
I think "Osram Xenon" is a product name, basicly just white bulbs that replaces the stock yellowish ones... not the same as OEM factory HID lights or even aftermarket retrofit HID kits

....or were you just joking!? then LOL

1 - 20 of 27 Posts