VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
R is about a month old and has only ever been washed using the two bucket method. I have always detailed my previous vehicles, but I have never seen anything like this.

Basically, this appeared about a week and a half ago. It looked like blisters at first, and now it looks like this.

VW is in the process of covering this claim.

My question is two fold.

1. What do you folks thing caused this
2. The body shop will need to overspray onto door to blend in paint. This is the front passenger side fender. I've been told that getting it to match perfectly is nearly impossible. Which begs to question, is it even worth fixing?

Thoughts? Opinions? Insults? :D

·
Registered
8,669 Posts
FV-QR

That picture is so ****ty it's hard to tell... If you have a good body shop, they will match the paint perfectly - I would never allow blending to any other panel ever... I had my hood repainted and the shop removed the hood from the car and sprayed it - no blending. Matches perfectly. Not only do they have to match color but they have to match the finish too, the amount of orange peel, etc.

If it's a front fender I would consider buying a new fender and have it painted while retaining the original fender. I would also not let the shop blend any panel on the car, period.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sorry about the photo quality. I can only capture the damage at a certain angle.

Should I be looking at VW to cover the cost of a new panel? Again, I am no paint expert, but this seems to be a factory defect.

·
Registered
8,669 Posts
Sorry about the photo quality. I can only capture the damage at a certain angle.

Should I be looking at VW to cover the cost of a new panel? Again, I am no paint expert, but this seems to be a factory defect.
No VW won't cover the new panel, you would have to do that. Most people would never do what I've suggested but I'm, well, different :p I guess it all boils down to how meticulous you are about your cars.

·
Registered
3,077 Posts
Blending is almost always required and is normal procedure in body repair business. It is practically impossible to perfectly match the paint without blending adjacent panel. Hood is a different story, you almost never need to blend anything else.

I personally would take the money from VW then find a color pro (someone like this: http://www.colorsonparade.com/) and have them do a spot repair instead of respraying two panels and take a hit on a resale value, IMHO.

·
Registered
8,669 Posts
Blending is almost always required and is normal procedure in body repair business. It is practically impossible to perfectly match the paint without blending adjacent panel. Hood is a different story, you almost never need to blend anything else.

I personally would take the money from VW then find a color pro (someone like this: http://www.colorsonparade.com/) and have them do a spot repair instead of respraying two panels and take a hit on a resale value, IMHO.
Problem with that is you still need to then clear the whole panel... and it is not impossible to match - blending is BS in my book and it ****s up the other panels, I never allow it and it has always come out right.

·
Registered
3,077 Posts
Problem with that is you still need to then clear the whole panel... and it is not impossible to match - blending is BS in my book and it ****s up the other panels, I never allow it and it has always come out right.
No, they spot fix it without doing anything to the rest of the panel. That's why I like them, you get to keep original paint and clear. I've seen them do it, it's amazing. A lot of dealers use them to fix blemishes on used AND new cars.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Update: Dealership has agreed to cover repair costs. They will need car for 1-2 weeks at local bodyshop....

Leave it alone, or fix it?

I'm torn..
I'd fix it I think.. the part that is disturbing is that you had blisters under the paint that settled into blemished you have now. I think that would indicate that there was some contamination under the paint that caused the blisters and that being the case, you want to get that sorted. 1-2 weeks is a very long time for paint repair on a fender. Obviously the dealer is the broker in getting this fixed, but I'd go directly to the body shop they will be using and talk to them directly expressing our concerns.

This really sucks, but things happen.. at least you don't have any dents or anything more involved than a bit of paint work.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
A problem with blending onto another panel, is that if there is a paint or corrosion issue on the panel, VW will deny coverage due to the bodywork after measuring thicker paint.
Even if the work was done through VW?

The dealership is fixing this issue due to the assumption it is a factory defect.

I would assume, should more issues arise, I could provide photographic evidence of the original paint defect to VW, and they would then be on the hook to cover whatever issues arise do to the initial damage caused by said paint defect...

·
Registered
3,077 Posts
Ignorance is a bliss. Do you know how blending works? First they'll take off as much clear as they can (not all though) then they'll apply color coats, then clear coats. Basically two of your panels will end up with a color/clear color/clear sandwich. Paint will become much thicker and anyone with the paint meter will be able to tell that those two panels were painted over. I gave you a good alternative to spot fix it. Your car, your call.

See here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4fvSA27QrWI

·
Registered
17,755 Posts
have you tried having it polished? i would try to select a body shop of my choice over the dealer choosing. the dealer will chose the quickest and cheapest body shop they can which in general would not meet the quality of someone like yourself who seems to be quite meticulous about the care and condition of your paint.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Yes, I took it to a detail shop that was able to block it down and smooth it out.

The issue is, that when those blisters burst, it left little pot holes in their place. I wouldn't exactly call it a dent, but the surface area is not smooth...

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
have you tried having it polished? i would try to select a body shop of my choice over the dealer choosing. the dealer will chose the quickest and cheapest body shop they can which in general would not meet the quality of someone like yourself who seems to be quite meticulous about the care and condition of your paint.
Yes, I took it to a detail shop that was able to block it down and smooth it out.

The issue is, that when those blisters burst, it left little pot holes in their place. I wouldn't exactly call it a dent, but the surface area is not smooth...

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Ignorance is a bliss. Do you know how blending works? First they'll take off as much clear as they can (not all though) then they'll apply color coats, then clear coats. Basically two of your panels will end up with a color/clear color/clear sandwich. Paint will become much thicker and anyone with the paint meter will be able to tell that those two panels were painted over. I gave you a good alternative to spot fix it. Your car, your call.

See here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4fvSA27QrWI
I would love to do it the way you suggest.

The only issue is, that after checking your link, I don't have anyone in the area who specializes in spot fixing.

I'm in Vegas.

I suppose I can call a few body shops though and see if anyone claims to do this.

·
Registered
3,077 Posts
I would love to do it the way you suggest.

The only issue is, that after checking your link, I don't have anyone in the area who specializes in spot fixing.

I'm in Vegas.

I suppose I can call a few body shops though and see if anyone claims to do this.
I just Googled "mobile paint repair" and these guys popped up: http://www.abcautobodylv.com/ http://www.yellowpages.com/north-las-vegas-nv/mip/mobile-auto-paint-body-19345204 http://www.yelp.com/biz/dent-guys-las-vegas-4 I hope this helps.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.