VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so, I have made a big leep and got a Porter cable 7424HD with a ccs pad kit. I'm wondering do i really need a paint thickness gauge. Cause with a orbital you cant burn the paint. But will the pad and compound make it clear cote low? and how often should i do a full corection on my car? and how do I remove old wax, with a paint clenser? Just some noob questions.:confused:

Thanks,
RS4guy

·
Registered
12,746 Posts
so, I have made a big leep and got a Porter cable 7424HD with a ccs pad kit. I'm wondering do i really need a paint thickness gauge. Cause with a orbital you cant burn the paint. But will the pad and compound make it clear cote low? and how often should i do a full corection on my car? and how do I remove old wax, with a paint clenser? Just some noob questions.:confused:

Thanks,
RS4guy
It would take a lot of polishing with the PC do thin the paint out too much. However, it can be done. In my personal opinion, though, you probably don't need one for your own personal car. If you are washing your car correctly, then you shouldn't need to do a full correction but once every two-three years.

If you are doing a full detail, then polishing the paint will remove the old wax. If you aren't doing a full correction, then a clay bar and paint cleaner will remove it.

For swirless washing techniques, check out the Detailing How-To thread in my sig and look for the washing How-To. If you wash your car correctly, then you should be good to go after one full correction for a long while. You may have to do spot corrections for accidents, but it should be somewhat rare to do a complete full correction again.

·
Registered
2,528 Posts

Thanks,
RS4guy
I doubt a paint gauge will be necessary. Wet sanding in one spot for about 20 seconds will bring the thickness down about 5 micrometers. I'd assume polishing would be a lot less abrasive.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.