VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1990 Cabriolet, 2004 VW Golf TDI ,1981 Ford Econoline
1,143 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello. I have some questions regarding paint that I'm hoping to get some feedback on.

The vehicle in question is a 1990 Cabriolet. Paint code L041. My understanding is that the paint job this car received at the factory was a gloss/clear paint job., as opposed to a single stage paint job which is more common now.

The paint has held up fairly well, however the clear coat has been breaking down quite badly on the passenger side of the vehicle.

Passenger fender

Passenger door

Passenger rear, below window

It has been suggested that I might be able to repair this by wet sanding and buffing. I am wondering if that seems possible based on the pictures provided and if not what is the best course of action.
The paint below the waistline trim actually looks pretty good (less direct sun abuse, I assume) soo I had considered attempting to re spray just the upper portion of the car. Is that stupid?

If I did attempt a partial re spray would a gloss/clear paint job be required, or would single stage be OK? I only ask because it seems like single stage is far more common.

Thanks in advance. I'm pretty novice at body work and paint but have been doing a little here and there and feel like I am getting better. Definitely something I want to learn.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Power of Paint

Paint covers all the scratches and gives a brand new look to the vehicle. Painted body parts paints are recommended which is durable as well as pocket-friendly.L041 one clear coat is sufficient.

·
Registered
140 Posts
You’ve been misinformed - single stage paint is extremely rare nowadays.

Don’t buff it. You don’t want to abrade a finish which is already falling off. The only thing that will restore your clearcoat is adding clearcoat, i.e. a paint job.

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
The clear coat on the spoiler on my A3 has broken down in a similar way...Is there a specific product for removing the clear coat from non-metal body parts? Or should I use the same remover used for metal body parts?

·
Registered
140 Posts
kgw, I’m not trying to be funny here, but what are you aiming to do? Are you going to attempt a DIY paint job on your spoiler? If so, the “product to remove clearcoat” is generally sandpaper...

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
Yes, and I'll sand it off if there is no such product...I used an "aircraft" paint remover some years back that worked well, but I'm not sure if the non-metal body parts are immune to such removers. I'm going to unbolt the spoiler from the hatch to do the work.

kgw, I’m not trying to be funny here, but what are you aiming to do? Are you going to attempt a DIY paint job on your spoiler? If so, the “product to remove clearcoat” is generally sandpaper...

·
Registered
140 Posts
Aircraft remover is not for plastic. But why would you want to strip the entire finish? You should sand the part until the peeling areas are feathered out. Then you have a stable substrate to work with.

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
:thumbup:

Aircraft remover is not for plastic. But why would you want to strip the entire finish? You should sand the part until the peeling areas are feathered out. Then you have a stable substrate to work with.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts