VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have any instructions on how to paint the inside of the headlamp assembly on a MKIV GTi in order to get the look of the Hella smoked ecodes?
Does it matter to heat the assembly in an oven first to disassemble? If so, what temp.? How long?
What type of paint is better (maybe engine enamel to with-stand the heat of the bulb)?
Do I need to primer the surface first?
Is it better to use marine silicone to reseal?
If anyone can help I would greatly apprecaite it.

· Registered
3,951 Posts
Re: Painting MKIV GTi headlamps? (blkdub)

I think I replied to this question a while ago from someone else...but...

To heat the assembly, i went at it w/a hair dryer...heat the edge of the plastic where it meets the actual housing and start prying it with your hands....eventually the glue will warm up enough to pull it off...
Next clean the lenses inside and out, try not to leave fingerprints on anything. When painting the housing, I cleaned out the area with rubbing alcohol or windex....be real careful with the actual reflectors, if u rub TOO HARD the mirror-like finish scratches off revealing a bright yellow underneath

Paint the surrounds in high temp paint of your color choice, remember to mask off the actual reflectors themselves...
When done, reattach the lenses and press in hard to seal with original glue. You can use silicone sealant to ensure total seal also. Go at it with a hair dryer again to make the glue soft to seal and let it sit a couple of days. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.