VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 178 Posts

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Everyone,
This thread is all about the painting and refurbishing of my 1984 Rabbit GTI. This has been my daily driver for about a year now, bought it here on Vortex Classifieds. It started as a non running shell with a blown engine, but pretty complete as far as everything else.

I added a few body mods like zender side skirts and wing, kamei front air dam and hood scoop. Most came off my VR6 rabbit and were sitting around collecting dust, so I figured I'd put them on my GTI.

Won 1st place Rabbit at Pacific Waterland Car Show, surprised the hell out of me

I really wasn't planning on painting my GTI until next year but plans changed out of my control, some ******* decided to rear end me at a traffic light. I was sitting at the light, completely stopped for minutes, so was the Truck behind me until they decided to ram my rabbit before the light turned green. Since they were in a truck they hit above my rear bumper, right into the license plate panel and tail lights.

It was a nightmare dealing with this Moron's Insurance Company, who knew such a simple open and shut claim could be so complicated. After they unreasonably delayed my claim for a month I started to get pissed. Every time I called they said they're waiting for paperwork from the body shop. I filed a complaint with the Better Business Bureau and got results a month later. This same insurance company had several complaints against them on BBB.org
They sent me a letter saying they were waiting on paperwork from the body shop, the body shop they sent me to. The Insurance company's explanation in the letter was total BS. I called the body shop 2 weeks after I got the estimate and made sure they sent the estimate the Insurance company, I included this statement in my complaint with BBB. I still feel like I need to strangle someone from the insurance Company for delaying my claim.
Over 2 months after this small accident I have a salvaged title and the insurance company values my 1984 Rabbit GTI at $900. No sense in trying to fight this insurance company any longer.

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Re: Painting My 1984 Rabbit GTI (VIP VR6 Rabbit)

Now on to the paint job, Stripped down and starting the body work. The goal is to have this done in about a week.

Most the bolt on body mod stuff won't be going back on, holes will be filled. Going back to long tail lights if rabbitparts.com ever decides to ship them out or respond to my emails. I have a few side projects planned which include painting the snowflakes black in between the spokes, right now they're like a gunmetal color of sorts. I will be re-painting the badges and grill stripe along with a few other parts. Also, I will be re-blackening the euro bumpers and flares.

·
Registered
13,148 Posts

Quote, originally posted by VIP VR6 Rabbit »
I was sitting at the light, completely stopped for minutes, so was the Truck behind me until they decided to ram my rabbit before the light turned green. Since they were in a truck they hit above my rear bumper, right into the license plate panel and tail lights.

I have a salvaged title and the insurance company values my 1984 Rabbit GTI at $900. No sense in trying to fight this insurance company any longer.

Same exact situation happened to me about a year ago, even the same amount of $.

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Re: Painting My 1984 Rabbit GTI (avw4me)

I would have fought the insurance company on the value if they didn't delay the claim for 2 months. Anytime I saw a similar Rabbit GTI for sale I would save the ad page, so I could try to prove the value. They were all $1500-$2500 but from private sellers, it actually needs to be from a dealer to be accurate value.
I guess I could have asked the insurance company what they're basing the value of my rabbit off, I was just so tired of dealing with it.

·
Registered
192 Posts

I had my bali green 77 parked next to you at the show.
Sucks about the accident, glad your making the best of a bad situation.

Remember you have the right to choose what body shop you take your car`after an accident. Insurance companies http://****************.com/smile/emthdown.gif

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Re: Painting My 1984 Rabbit GTI (Dubs_Only)

Yeah I remember you, Alex right?
The whole thing is retarded, the insurance company sent me to their body shop and they can't get paperwork through? I pointed this out over the phone to the claims agent and stated this is my complaint. Still, the insurance company says they were waiting on paperwork.
I realize I have the right to choose the body shop. I just figured it would go smoother if I went the the Insurance's body shop and have them cut me a check, I was wrong.

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Re: Painting My 1984 Rabbit GTI (chickenfriend)

Quote, originally posted by chickenfriend »
Looks like the rear valvance seam is showing rust.
That indicates a rust problem from the inside of the seam.

I noticed a small amount of surface rust near the upper rear pan seam, nothing major though. It will be dealt with along with a small amount of rust in the trunk area where the was some bare metal.
Quote, originally posted by pdx-gti »
who is doing the paint for you?

Same guy who painted my VR6 rabbit, he's a bit old school but does good work. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
3,493 Posts

........ does that pac man game works?

good taste, got the same car & interest in games.

·
Registered
7,363 Posts

Quote, originally posted by VIP VR6 Rabbit »

I noticed a small amount of surface rust near the upper rear pan seam, nothing major though. It will be dealt with along with a small amount of rust in the trunk area where the was some bare metal.

Maybe you are good, then.
There is a hollow area behind that seam which is the problem area. Would have been a good place to shoot some cavity wax when these cars were built.

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Re: Painting My 1984 Rabbit GTI (dennis2society)

Quote, originally posted by dennis2society »

........ does that pac man game works?

good taste, got the same car & interest in games.

Yeah it works, but it's really Ms. Pac man. I also have Taito International circuit sit down driver arcade, graphics remind me of pole position.

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Re: FV-QR (eurowner)

I realized the irony of the German flag on the GTI while I was painting it, but for anyone else that isn't a MK1 enthusiast the irony would never come to mind. It was just for fun, had a spare hood that was dented and some time to kill the day before the car show.

1 - 20 of 178 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.