VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

parking lights as DRL's?

464 views 10 replies 5 participants last post by  EpicVW 
#1 ·
How is this done without a euroswitch? Obviously it is possible, and I want to do it... so someone tell me, please???

See less See more
#2 ·
Re: parking lights as DRL's? (TWSTDVW)

I haven't done this, but here's my theory on it. If you were to take the wire from the DRL relay (yellow behind relay 176 i think?) and run it to your parking lights wire, it should work. You would have to wire in a diode so the current doesn't run back when you switch on your parking lights themselves tho and burn something out. It's an interesting idea though! Good luck with it.

#4 ·

I've been thinking of using my for lights as DRL's, so just my fog lights and parking lights are on. This can be done with a relay so the yellow wire powers the relay and turns on the fogs. This way they will stay on and there is no need for a diode, right?

#6 ·

I already have this done, however min is one of those '96 oddities that worked out for the better.
My car never had either DRL Relay, so I just did it the hard way, found a schematic in my Bentley, found the DRL wite and clipped it (smallest yellow wire behind headlight switch) However in the back of my headlight switch, there is a little metal jumper slid onto the plug in the switch, jumpers two pins together and this leaves my Running lights on all the time when the ignition is on.
If i pull that little metal jumper, running lights are off and only work with headlights in full on position.
HOWEVER, I can NEVER get my Dash lights to go off, if the car is on, the dashlights are on, no way around it yet, but thats cool since I always have my running lights.

So not sure if this helps, but it might give ya some ideas.

#7 ·
Re: parking lights as DRL's? (RedRiceGTi)

on pre 96.5 cars to totally turn the DRLs off you pull relay 94, NOT 173.
On a pre 96.5 (mine is a 96.0) the parking lights come on with the DRLs. If you want just parking lights and no headlights as DRLs, take out your headlight switch and put electrical tape over the TFL pin (should be bottom left or top right depending on how you look at it, its labeled). I did this before i figured out to pull the relay and only my parking lights came on as DRLs

#9 ·

The only reason I suggest a diode (or a relay would work too..little complicated it would seem to me) is that when you turn on your parking lights the current would go back into the DRL relay, and depending on how it was wired could burn it up or more. I would do it just to be safe. But hey, i'm no expert.

#11 ·

Not a stupid question at all. A diode is a like a one-way street. It only allows current to flow one way. So you would wire the diode in so that the current from the DRL wire would only flow to the parking light wires. That way when you actually turn the parking lights on by the headlight switch, the current would not go into the DRL wire and relay and possibly burn it out. Shoot me an e-mail if you need more tips. I'd be happy to help.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.