VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wonder if anyone else has had this problem?
Over the weekend, my parking sensors developed an intermittent fault where they would go straight to the double-red 'STOP NOW!' indicators as soon as the car was put in drive, reverse or sport. Also, when driving below 12mph (or whatever the cut-off for the sensors is) they would either revert back to double red (with lovely annoying buzzing sound) or the left or right bank would detect ghosts (i.e. I couldn't see anything 2 feet to my left, but that's what the sensors were indicating).
I'm having the dealer look at it today (but, of course, the problem didn't occur on the drive to work this morning), but would be keen to hear if anyone else has had this problem?
Thanks

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Re: Parking sensor troubles (prhim)

Update:
The dealers Treg tech found a stone dent in one of the front sensors and thinks that it might be the cause of the problem...
Strange that the problem should be intermittent tho, when obviously the dent doesn't move.. Anyway, will let you know if a new sensor solves the problem.

·
Registered
537 Posts
Are the sensors dirty? We recently had a thaw and the dirt road I live off of became a muddy mess. Enough grime was on the sensors to cause the same situation you described. You may want to clean them off and try it again before you head to the service dept.

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
Re: (prhim)

I had the same problem, It turned out to be a dirty sensor.
Just to be on the safe side, I called VWOA to see ask what it meant. The lady told me to have my car towed! She said It shlould not be driven!!
It has happened a couple times, mostly in colder weather and snow.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Re: (zyklon)

I doubt that you should have the car towed....
Mine does it pretty consistently when there is snow or ice on the car. I have tried to clean off the sensors but it seems to have a mind of its own until the weather actually warms enough for something to melt off.
I'm sure that it is common enough as that is probably the reason for the off switch on the dash.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts