VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 83 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Re: Parrot / Audiocom Bluetooth Installation with Steering wheel control (mark_d_drake)

Hello Mark. Very, VERY impressive! I honestly got overwhelmed just looking at the picture of the hundreds of wires coming out of your center console. I was thinking about the Motorola bluetooth kit that I think is a VW/Motorola partnered product.
I just wanted to clarify that all of the wiring you did was just so you could use your cell phone wirelessly through the nav' radio system, right? I assume you can touch the steering wheel phone button and a voice command asks what you want to do? Just a few questions as I really want to utilize the steering wheel button, but am not sure I'm ready to dedicate my weekend to taking apart my brand new Eos. Thanks for the post and very detailed pictures . . much appreciated!

·
Registered
2,096 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: Parrot / Audiocom Bluetooth Installation with Steering wheel control (Grafixx101)

Basically I can activate what ever voice dialing capabilities my phone has by pressing the phone button on the steering wheel. I can also answer incoming calls that way.
The advantage of this rig over the Moto one is it uses the steering wheel controls where at the Moto one requires a seperate controller be attached to the dash. Not being able to use the buttons on the wheel for that purpose would drive me crazy, but that's probably just me.
I've heard rumors of an improved interface, which would use the Parrot 3100 as distinct from the 3000 and would provide called id to the MFD, but I've not seen any product yet. The 3100 can also provide line out rather than using it's own amplifier so that should simply the connections at the rear of the radio

·
Registered
2,096 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Re: Parrot / Audiocom Bluetooth Installation with Steering wheel control (jdl)

Maybe on the weekend I attempt the roof module...
I'm no expert, last time I pulled a dash apart I was replacing the OEM radio on my MK II (I think) GTI with an Alpine Radio so I could have an auxillary input to attach my Mark I Sony CD Walkman too....
-Mark

·
Banned
6,818 Posts
Re: Parrot / Audiocom Bluetooth Installation with Steering wheel control (mark_d_drake)

Mark, you have more guts than I. And there I was leary of pulling an iPod dock out of a Rabbit... (which BTW, we cannot get parts for. Oops)

In the mean time, I still have that 6 CD changer in my office.
Great install; I really appreciate the write up. Now I finally have a go to thread for blue tooth. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
2,096 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Re: Parrot / Audiocom Bluetooth Installation with Steering wheel control (pjouvence)

No controller keypad required. That's the beauty of this one.

If you look at the second picture you can see that the Audicom unit plugs into the Parrot in place of the Parrot's control unit and allows the standard steering wheel controls to be used to operate the Parrot...

As some over in the GOLF MK V forum so elequently puts it..
"Must get that retarded phone button to work..."
Hey, I see you're a relative new comer, welcome to the forum. I think you'll find forum member Grafixx is right in your neighbourhood...

Modified by mark_d_drake at 6:47 PM 2-10-2007

Modified by mark_d_drake at 6:50 PM 2-10-2007

·
Registered
21,490 Posts

Wow. You did a great job installing that, and an absolutely first-class job on the writeup at your website. I'll link to your website next time I update the Forum Table of Contents.
Michael

·
Registered
2,096 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Re: Parrot / Audiocom Bluetooth Installation with Steering wheel control (PanEuropean)

Thanks Michael, coming from you high praise indeed. Not quite on the scale of your TV tuner retrofit, but very satisfying, particularly since at one point my 10 year old daughter comes out and states "Daddy you've ruined your beautiful new car !"....

·
Registered
396 Posts

Nice Mark. By the way, when I went pick up my EOS from VW dealership, the EOS mechanics told me that he was working on installing a bluetooth kit for another EOS. And he said it was 4 hours labor work. I forgot to ask about the parts but thought that was need that VW would installed it for you. You might have warrantee from them then I suppose.

·
Registered
2,096 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Re: Parrot / Audiocom Bluetooth Installation with Steering wheel control (darien)

Yes, that would be the Motorola kit. AFAIK it does not use the steering wheel controls to answer / initiate calls, it has a seperate control module that has to fixed to the dash...

·
Registered
16 Posts

Great work. I was looking at this kit too. How do your callers find the audio quality at their end? I ask b/c i was thinking of pacing the mic on top of the steering column to get a more direct line. Of course it would look a bit out of place. Not nearly as clean as your beautiful install. Thanks for the tutorial.

·
Registered
7 Posts

GREAT JOB !!!!!
i have only one question
if you could please help me out ..... What exactly does the audicom do ?... is it an adaptor for the steering wheel control
if it is , do i need it on an rcd 300

·
Registered
2,096 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Re: Parrot / Audiocom Bluetooth Installation with Steering wheel control (elninho)

The AUDICOM eliminate the need to mount the controller from the Parrot unit on the dashboard and allows the steering wheel controls to be used in conjunction with the Parrot Bluetooth unit.

·
Registered
14 Posts

Mark,
Thanks for your posting and instructions. I bought the kits, and had a mechanic friend do the install, and it seems to work quite well. I appreciate you posting the detailed instructions. They made the install go considerably smoother.
I am having one problem. How do I get into the menus of the Parrot kit using the steering wheel control. The system is stuck in French.
Thanks!
Jeff
Houston, TX

1 - 20 of 83 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.